Pink Poogle Toy Forum

The official community of Pink Poogle Toy
Main Site
NeoDex
It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 7:30 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Neopets Advent Calendar 2007
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:17 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

Byakuya San wrote:
Is anyone else bothered by the fact that they call it a Holiday Tree instead of a Christmas Tree?

Nope. I don't celebrate Christmas. I like that TNT values all holidays equally.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:31 am 
PPT God
PPT God

I'm not bothered either...heck, there are already several trees with "Christmas" in their name, isn't there? About time there is a "holiday" tree.

Please help my dragons grow and give a click!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:52 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

"Erm, hi, yes... Ghostbusters? Yeah, there's this snot-covered THING in our living room throwing snot all over our Holiday Tree... Granted, it put the star on the tree on for us, but still..."

Meuka reminds me of that green slime ghost on Ghostbusters. <_<;;

Yeah, these prizes are going to stay in my SDB. I don't quite fancy snot all over the garden. It's probably a good fertilizer, though.

ImageImageImage
Set by WIS (I think XD), awesome fader by Bangel!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:50 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

angisfab wrote:
About time there is a "holiday" tree.

Last year they gave out a Striped Holiday Tree as a prize.

Matrinka wrote:
Byakuya San wrote:
Is anyone else bothered by the fact that they call it a Holiday Tree instead of a Christmas Tree?
I like that TNT values all holidays equally.

Now excuse me for ranting and being a grouch, but if they valued all holidays equally, why would they even have an advent calendar in the first place? Yes, I know that December is generally known as a time of gift-giving and gift-getting, and yes, I know that many people in the world celebrate Christmas, and yes, I do recall an editorial where they stated they could not release menorahs or Buddhas or whatnot for "legal reasons" (which I still don't understand), but is it really necessary to rename Christmas Trees holiday trees? I mean, what if people started calling menorahs "festive lights" and Buddhas "happy fat men" (or to be politically correct, "stout men of good fortune")? Would you be offended if you celebrated those holidays? And what if Judeasim and Buddhism were the major religions in the world? Would it not make sense that such religions be downgraded just to value other religions? I'm not saying that Christianity pwns all, or that other holidays should be forgotten, but rather than downgrading one religion, when other traces of it ALREADY exist on the site (Christmas Paint Brush, anyone?), why can't ALL religions/holidays/etc. be given fair treatment? (I'm ranting at the legal reasons now) Again,I'm not saying the advent calendar should be eliminated completely, but if they aren't going to come right out and say Christmas Tree, what's stopping them from not releasing any Christmas Trees at all?

...I don't even care if my arguing sucks, at least I got that all off of my chest.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:34 am 
PPT God
PPT God

Byakuya San wrote:
angisfab wrote:
About time there is a "holiday" tree.

Last year they gave out a Striped Holiday Tree as a prize.

Matrinka wrote:
Byakuya San wrote:

Now excuse me for ranting and being a grouch, but if they valued all holidays equally, why would they even have an advent calendar in the first place? Yes, I know that December is generally known as a time of gift-giving and gift-getting, and yes, I know that many people in the world celebrate Christmas, and yes, I do recall an editorial where they stated they could not release menorahs or Buddhas or whatnot for "legal reasons" (which I still don't understand), but is it really necessary to rename Christmas Trees holiday trees? I mean, what if people started calling menorahs "festive lights" and Buddhas "happy fat men" (or to be politically correct, "stout men of good fortune")? Would you be offended if you celebrated those holidays? And what if Judeasim and Buddhism were the major religions in the world? Would it not make sense that such religions be downgraded just to value other religions? I'm not saying that Christianity pwns all, or that other holidays should be forgotten, but rather than downgrading one religion, when other traces of it ALREADY exist on the site (Christmas Paint Brush, anyone?), why can't ALL religions/holidays/etc. be given fair treatment? (I'm ranting at the legal reasons now) Again,I'm not saying the advent calendar should be eliminated completely, but if they aren't going to come right out and say Christmas Tree, what's stopping them from not releasing any Christmas Trees at all?

...I don't even care if my arguing sucks, at least I got that all off of my chest.

Okay, you win. The snot covered tree can represent Christmas.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:16 pm 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

Byakuya San wrote:

Well said.

I am non-religious, but I still feel it is unnecessery for TNT to 'dull' things down.

Matrinka wrote:
Okay, you win. The snot covered tree can represent Christmas.

Quite uncalled for. This will be one of the reasons that TNT do dull down Christmas.

It isn't the fact that a Christmas Tree represents Christmas, just that we all know that it should be called a Cristmas Tree, not a holiday tree.

If it is too much for a site to have a Christmas Tree then we should not be having an Advent Calendar, but a Holiday Calendar.

Why stop there? Why don't we celebrate Chocolate Egg Day, Turkey Day, Pumpkin Day etc - TNT should get rid of all the 'real world' holidays and replace them with non-offensive, non-political, non-religious Days.

As an Agnostic, I don't have any affinity with religion but I am incensed that TNT find it necessary to besiege Christmas with their half-witted ideas about sensibilities.

TNT should ban all or none. They can't have it both ways.

A Christmas Tree will always be a Christmas Tree and to call it anything else is just wrong.

Afterthought:
The only thing that is going in TNT's favour is that they may have decided a snot covered Christmas Tree might have offended, so they called it a Holiday Tree. If so, then kudos. If not, then we are back to square one - holiday or Christmas?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:49 pm 
PPT Trainee
PPT Trainee

smudgeoffudge wrote:
Someone in the world must have been wanting a snot covered Christmas tree and Snot Covered Ladder for years and years.

Yes, I've been waiting all my neo-life! ;____; I'm so happy! It's like the day they made dung wearable, or when the colour SNOT came out!!

I do hope there will be more funny wearables, similar to the dung. Maybe a radioactive dripping bogey coming from my dear neopet's nose? =D

Byakuya San You're right. People here in Ireland and even the UK I hear are dumbing down the Christmas as they feel it might offend someone. Funny thing is, I've always been a Druid and even though most of our winter (and other) traditions have been pilfered in the name of Christmas/Christianity I wouldn't have it any other way. I still call that tree we have up a "Christmas tree" rather than a "Yule tree". It's ironic though because technically the trees should really be forbidden in Christianity.

I'm happy to learn and appreciate other religious celebrations but changing the naming of things and forbidding others seems a bit backward. We should be moving forward. None the less I'm glad to see the Galway lights are still using Beannachtaí na Nollag (Christmas Blessings) rather than Beannachtaí na Féile (Seasons Greetings/Blessings). =)

Hehe Daze, don't get me started on Easter or Halloween! D=

Enjoy your celebrations, however you celebrate them and whatever the reasons for it. At the very least keep warm thoughts in your minds and don't run out of coal!

Merry Christmas chaps and chops...

http://alienaisha.blogspot.com
lol

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:25 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Day 4:
You find 238 Neopoints!!!
You find a Shining Star Tree Topper!!!
You also find a Fir Cookies!!!

Aww...the little Fir looks so sad! {huggles it}
But those cookies actually look really, really good. :thinking: I need to get to baking my Christmas cookies, but I'm kinda half-waiting for my sister to be back in town before I do.
The topper is a Gift, the cookies are Baked.

Set by KiTeNcHeTu!
Find me at WGF, where werewolf rocks!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:41 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

I swear that those Fir Cookies look real. Maybe I'll try making some this year, if I get a decent tree cutout? Hehe.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:49 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

angisfab wrote:
I swear that those Fir Cookies look real. Maybe I'll try making some this year, if I get a decent tree cutout? Hehe.

Hehe. We *do* make tree cookies - in a brilliant green color, and poinsettias in red. That's my family's tradition. Hence why seeing them makes me want to make them earlier this year.

Set by KiTeNcHeTu!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:09 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

Well, this is my first Christmas away from home, so I'm now responsible for making all those cutouts. :) That means I have to go out and buy the cutters. Of course, my mom's are like eons old and super awesome, meaning I won't find ones like them.

Mmmm coooookiessss....

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:50 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

angisfab wrote:
Well, this is my first Christmas away from home, so I'm now responsible for making all those cutouts. :) That means I have to go out and buy the cutters. Of course, my mom's are like eons old and super awesome, meaning I won't find ones like them.

Mmmm coooookiessss....

Awww. :hug: My first Christmas after I was married, my mom gave us a new cookie cutter set with all the right shapes for our family cookies as well as the modifications to the recipe that make them work just right. I guess that makes me lucky? ;)

All this talk about cookies is making me super hungry.

Set by KiTeNcHeTu!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:11 pm 
PPT Toddler
PPT Toddler

Byakuya San wrote:
Matrinka wrote:
Byakuya San wrote:

I agree.

Because Neopets is such an international site, with people from so many different backgrounds playing, I don't have a problem with phrases like "Happy Holidays". But "holiday tree" is kinda dumb. I mean, what other holiday uses a tree to celebrate? There's no such thing as a "Kwanzaa tree" or a "Haunnakah" tree. Christmas, as far as I know, is the only holiday that is associated with a decorated tree. And for that reason, I think it's stupid to call them "holiday trees" instead of "Christmas trees", because everyone knows trees go along with the celebration of Christmas.

Last edited by 'Rina on Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:19 pm 
PPT Student
PPT Student

Pickles wrote:
angisfab wrote:

Hehe. We *do* make tree cookies - in a brilliant green color, and poinsettias in red. That's my family's tradition. Hence why seeing them makes me want to make them earlier this year.

Ok, I simply HAVE to ask this: what do you add to make them "brilliant green"? (I hope it's not some sort of a secret family recipe :)) I'm not really into baking things, but that sounds all kinds of awesome.

My gallery, Chocolate Dreams: click!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:24 pm 
PPT Toddler
PPT Toddler

Hmm. I thought today's gifts were kind of boring, personally. But hey, can't argue with free stuff. ;)

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next