A Bottled Faerie is a faerie that has been captured by Balthazar the bounty hunter and imprisoned in a small, magical glass bottle. Bottled faeries act as items on the Neopets website. They are sold at Kauvara's Magic Shop and are also sometimes given out as prizes for certain games, such as the Alien Aisha Vending Machine. If a Neopet releases a faerie from its bottle prison, the newly freed faerie will grant blessings to the Neopet that freed it. These blessings can then be used to purchase abilities at Aethia's Ability Academy.
- Main article: Retired Faerie Abilities
Before the Battledome was closed for renovations on October 17, 2012, bottled faeries worked much differently than they do today. Rather than granting blessings, each bottled faerie instead directly bestowed a single ability unto the Neopet that released it. During this time, abilities were divided into six types, one for each of the six types of bottled faerie that existed at the time. The type of ability that a Neopet learned when releasing a bottled faerie depended on the type of faerie that was being released. For example, opening a Bottled Water Faerie would teach a Neopet a water faerie ability.
When the revised ability system went live on February 20, 2013, all of the original faerie abilities were retired and all of the bottled faeries that existed at the time were converted into fading bottled faeries.
There are six types of blessings that can be obtained from bottled faeries, one corresponding to each of the six different types of faeries that inhabit Neopia. Neopets obtain 1 or 2 blessings each time they release one of the below listed weak bottled faeries. The type of bottled faerie released determines the type of blessings the Neopet receives:
Fading Bottled Faeries
Fading bottled faeries are bottled faeries whose magic has weakened. Fading bottled faeries are too weak to grant blessings on their own; however, if a user combines any three fading bottled faeries using the Cooking Pot, they will receive a randomly selected weak bottled faerie. There are six types of fading bottled faeries:
Since April 2, 2004, user have been able to unlock the following avatar by opening a bottled faerie:
|Bless you, Shoyru.|
Own a Shoyru and have it open a weak bottled faerie.
- When they were first released, bottled faeries were depicted as being trapped in small Tupperware-like containers. These containers were later redesigned to be the glass bottles seen today.
- Everyday at 6:00 am NST, Balthazar donates 100 bottled faeries to the Money Tree. This event is known as Balthazar's Mega Faerie Giveaway Bonanza.
- There is an image for a Bottled Grey Faerie on Neopets Image Server; however, it is unlikely that the Bottled Grey Faerie will ever be released as an item.
- According to a Neopedia article, faeries that were trapped inside bottles during the Faeries' Ruin plot were protected from Xandra's petrification spell so long as they remained in their bottles. Faeries freed from their bottles turned to stone shortly after being released.