Pink Poogle Toy Forum

The official community of Pink Poogle Toy
Main Site
NeoDex
It is currently Thu Oct 10, 2024 6:22 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 7:56 pm 
PPT Trainee
PPT Trainee

pinkslorg wrote:
This isn't really a help, but Talinia just said, "It's all about the aim, baby!" :lol:

Heh, yeah, it's always funny when the characters say something for once. :wink: Especially when Velm tells me to "Eat your vegetables."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 9:59 pm 
PPT Trainee
PPT Trainee

I just fled from the faeries. They defeated Velm and Mipsy when I fled. Any strategies?(I've heard that you must mesmerise the earth faerie, then...help me with the rest.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 10:07 pm 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

Everyone has got their own strategy... personally I'd throw slow potions at them, drink haste potions, heal always with Velm, use the attacks with Rohane, Mipsy and Talinia if they do enough damage, otherwise use damage potions.

Set by Pixa <3 || WWW for previous sets || T-Shirts gallery
Support Roo Island!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 12:13 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

quicksilvery1pore wrote:
I just fled from the faeries. They defeated Velm and Mipsy when I fled. Any strategies?(I've heard that you must mesmerise the earth faerie, then...help me with the rest.)

Well, the first and foremost question would be what level you are...

But aside from that, this strategy has had me beat the faeries on the first shot every time, and I've beaten that game more times than I can count (including twice on insane, and nearing infinite times on evil):

Ignore the earth faerie. Seriously, you can not touch her until the end and be perfectly fine. Take out the faeries in order from left to right. Why? You're taking out the faerie that mesmerizes you first. She's your biggest risk, because if she mesmerizes Velm you've got a major problem. Use potions to haste your party and slow whichever faerie you're currently taking out. Velm should always be healing if someone hits yellow or below on their hit point bar, but not before then -- healing can bring someone out of mesmerization, so it's worth the risk more often than not, and you should have healing potions as a backup in case something goes wrong with that. Then once you've taken out the first faerie, the next in the row has the fewest hit points (and as far as I can tell, is also the easiest of the 4 of them to hit). She's a pretty quick kill. Then you're taking out the group healer, and after her all that's left is the earth faerie.

Damage potions are pretty optional. I usually try to keep some on hand so Velm has something to do when he's not healing or shielding the party, but otherwise people's attacks tend to be best, especially in the case of Rohane and Talinia, because I usually spend fairly preferentially to their stunning and slowing attacks, and that'll make up for any damage differences (remember, when you're stunning at a high level, you're essentially getting an extra turn for everyone in your party every time you stun).

Honestly, I've played over half of my games without ever spending a single point on mesmerization for Velm (and that includes both of my insane level games) and I was fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 5:21 am 
PPT Trainee
PPT Trainee

dog wrote:
quicksilvery1pore wrote:
Ok, so I've finished fighting Silicast. I wonder what level should I be at to fight (insert boss name here)(for me, it's Gebarn II). Is there a formula or something?

Some people have tried to create formulas, but none of them seem to make all that sense to me. For Gebarn, I'd say 33-36.

Nope, they really have to be taken on a case-by-case basis. There are some unsually hard bosses (Zombom, the Faeries, Hubrid Nox, and of course the Terasks). And there are some bosses who are going to be immediately followed by a hard section of the game. (End-of-chapter bosses mostly, esp. Ramtor as you have to beat another boss at the beginning of Chapter 2 before you can get more potions.)

For bosses that don't fit into these categories you can usually be fairly safe following the rule that if you can beat the minions, you can beat the boss. (If you're on Insane extra paranoia is always called for, of course.)

I recently beat Gebarn II at 34 on Insane and it was a cakewalk. (I'm always fairly conservative and more so on Insane.) So I think more than that is going to be overkill if you're playing normal or evil.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 4:39 am 

Going on the earlier potions vs casting haste, I go with potions for 2 reasons:

1. Mipsy gets 59 skill points total. Given the well known 'pushing over 11 is bad' rule, this allows you to get 11 in 5 skills; myself, I go for DD, GDD, Damage Shields, Melee Defense, and Casting haste, and then use the extra 4 to pump the first 3 as needed. If you go for her haste spell, you have to drop one of the others, and the only one that isnt useful vs Terask 2 is Group DD, except that is highly useful for the entire game prior to him.

additionally, the extra speed from potions, while costing more turns, means the bosses dont get as many double/triple attack turns, which is typically where you end up getting someone KOed.

Also, it's usually best to not increase a non spell skill beyond 11, because you never want to waste your final weapon bonuses; those 2-4 points that become useless in increased damage ior whatever would still be useful in stun/defense/etc, and since they provide a fixed bonus and are all cumulative, it doesnt hurt to spread them around, whereas in spells extra points in a different spell doesnt help at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 3:30 am 

Hello all! Now that school's out I'm back! ... not that anyone is left from the old Neoquest board, but that's ok! I can make new friends. Anyway, on average, how much higher should your level be on evil? I'm on level 40-some and I still haven't figured it out.
Oh, and it IS very possible to defeat the faeries without mesmerize. I beat them at lv. 44 w/o it and no one died.

Currently on level 43 of Evil (nq2)
Oh, and Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, and Clay Aiken rock

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 8:50 am 

I never use mez on the Faeries; my strategy is just haste potion the party, slow potion all 4, and beat Fire, Dark, Water, Earth; they go down like cake. The reason so many people die to them is they dont slow potion them; doing that doubles the number of attacks you make

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 7:30 pm 
PPT Warrior
PPT Warrior

heh I never had any trouble with the faeries, possibly because I'm pretty lucky when it comes to neoquest 2.

my strat was to kill the fire first to minimize the damage that could be done to you then take out the water to keep them from healing and then finally taking out the earth and air faeries.

Honk Honk Honk $#%#$% honk hooooonk.

- Honk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 12:14 am 
PPT Warrior
PPT Warrior

I need some motavation to keep playing NQII. Right now, I am in the last level of the lost caves right before Scuzzy on evil difficulty. I keep dreaming about ramtor's spellbook but I can't seem to stay focused. Anyone got any advice?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 12:23 am 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

zero!AKArbpnmn wrote:
I need some motavation to keep playing NQII. Right now, I am in the last level of the lost caves right before Scuzzy on evil difficulty. I keep dreaming about ramtor's spellbook but I can't seem to stay focused. Anyone got any advice?

Don't play unless you feel like it. Forcing yourself to play makes you impatient and resentful. You're not going to last the entire game if you stop enjoying it. Take long breaks if you have to. I tend to do other things while I'm playing so I don't get too antsy, especially when Neopets is loading slow.

Don't be afraid to see the truth, even if no one wants you to. Be yourself and not a fool. Don't ever be afraid to speak your mind and listen to criticism. Dissent is keeps our country progressive and willingness to challenge yourself is what keeps yourself ever evolving.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 7:42 pm 
PPT Warrior
PPT Warrior

dreaming of getting one of the items on insane dificulty is what motivates me ;)

Honk Honk Honk $#%#$% honk hooooonk.

- Honk

Post subject: How to Own a NQII Boss fight, Version 2
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 11:48 pm 

I've edited this up a lot, so here goes.
I built up Rohane’s battle damage increase and innate melee speed evenly, getting to about 11 points each in those categories, so now at level 54 he is moving something like insane speed. I also started spending on innate magic resistance and stunning strikes. This means he almost never gets stunned, and has a large chance of stunning his opponent. Critical attacks are nice to do a little extra damage now and then, so I bought 11 in those as well.

When you find Mipsy, the game gives you plenty of points to spend on direct damage. Not group damage, just direct damage. At that level most opponents will take only one shot from Mipsy and the fight is over. So since she has the big gun, make her move really, really fast. Innate casting haste looks good, but spend evenly on group haste and innate haste so that all your party members get that speed bonus. If you have problems keeping Mipsy alive, spend some on innate damage resistance as well. I spent a few points on damage shields. Remember, the point is to kill them before they hit you. The exception to this is the larger bosses in chapter 4 and 5. Several of them could resist direct damage, and they actually took more damage from the damage shields than from her wand.

For Talinia I decided to buy multiple targets, because she has the ability to stun all opponents with shockwave. So I focused on her increased bow damage, spent 11 on her multiple targets skill, then spent evenly on innate battle speed, magic resistance and shockwave.

Velm has too many good skills for me. I bought the Celestial Hammer because it stuns, and I bought group healing. I just think that individual healing is a waste of time. I spent no points on that skill at all. I didn’t want Velm to be extremely fast, because he would just get in the way of Mipsy’s big gun and Rohane’s ridiculously huge sword, so he only got 7 points for innate haste. If you are on Insane, ignore this. Speed him as much as possible. I spent the 10 each in innate damage resistance and group shielding. Group shield is vital in the battle against King Terask II. The moment the Group Shield wears off, make sure to recast it or Terask will stun, mesmerize, slow and celestial hammer every member of your party to death. The group shield is cool because it helps Rohane resist being stunned, mesmerized or distracted by shiny objects. The most interesting skill Velm has is Mesmerize. I simply love being able to remove one of the opponents from the fight until I’m ready to deal with her. Mesmerize isn’t a skill used much on Bosses, so I won’t mention it much here.

Notice how I said spend up to 11 points in each category, when you can hit your maximum at 15? The bosses in chapter 5 drop weapons that give most of your characters a +4 bonus in the innate skills and other important skills. The problem is, this is based on luck. Once your party gets to level 56, stop spending your skill points. Wait until you have killed both pant devils before you decide where to spend the final 4 points. This is just in case the last weapons you get from those battles don’t raise the right skills. I know this doesn’t make sense right now, but here is an example: You spent 15 points on Critical attacks, then Rohane wins a weapon that gives you +4 to critical attacks. Now you have 4 points that could have been spent somewhere else, but it is too late.

Now that you now what skills to build, let’s take a look at a simple battle:
Step one, hit the boss with the strongest slowing potion you have. Slowing potions of anywhere from 30% to 80% should slow the Boss down or counteract her haste spell.
Step two, have Mipsy cast group haste. In a long battle, she may have to cast Group Haste several times because it wears off after about 30 seconds. In the battle with King Terask, Group Haste is not enough. Make sure to have plenty of Kougra Sprint potions to speed you up to +60%. Combining group haste, the innate haste points I spent and the slowing potion, your party is moving at extreme lightning speed compared to the poor, helpless Boss.
Step Three, Rohane hits the Boss, and stuns it for several seconds. Talinia shoots arrows at the Boss, and stuns it for several seconds. Velm casts group shield, or tosses a damage potion. Mipsy puts the Boss in a hurt locker.
Step Four, Velm casts group heal to keep everyone in top shape.
Repeat.
Step Five, since the Boss has spent the entire battle stunned or in a coma there is no step five.

This strategy works very well on almost all the Bosses in the game, with the exception of the Four Faeries. The Fab Four in the Haunted Woods are tough, fast, skilled, and extremely dangerous. When I fought them in level Evil, I could only compare it to one thing. It felt awfully like the final battle with King Terask in normal mode. The Fab Four can resist mesmerize, stun, and direct damage. They use group haste, group heal, group damage and mesmerize back at you. I thought I could use my strategy and just walk in at level 47 on Evil mode and take those Faeries out just like I walked all over all the other Bosses. I was wrong. When fighting the Fab Four, expect the battle to take about 130 seconds. I broke the battle down into what your party does instead of steps, because it is much more complicated than killing a single Boss.

Velm should concentrate on mesmerizing Dark, Fire, and Earth during this fight. All his other turns should be spent healing. Don’t waste time throwing slow potions at the Fab Four, since your party members will die if Velm does anything other than Mesmerize and Heal. If Velm dies before half the faeries are killed, flee and heal your party before restarting the battle. Velm is also a cleric, but I don’t think ‘Pray for Mercy’ is a buyable skill.
Mipsy should focus on casting and recasting Group Haste whenever it runs out. Most of her direct damage is resisted by the faeries anyway, and halfway through the battle I found her hiding in the back guzzling healing potions to stay alive.
Talinia can’t use her group damage because it would un-mesmerize the opponent, so she shot only one faerie at a time.
Rohane, like always, simply slashed and slashed. We killed Water first because she can’t be mesmerized and she kept casting healing spells. Fire second because she has the least hit points, Dark third, and Earth last.

So for whatever reason you play NQII, whether it is trophies, avatars, neopoints or weapons, I hope you enjoy reading this guide. Using my strategy, I haven’t died yet on Evil mode.

Author of "How to Own a NQ2 Boss Fight"
William07 the koi needs your vote!
http://www.neopets.com/beauty/details.p ... =William07

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 12:05 am 

It's decent, but there are two problems with it-

1. Group Casting Haste is pointless. It doesn't really add THAT much speed, and considering high end haste potions haste you nearly double that amount, the points are better spent elsewhere; Group DD at max level meat grinds 256 damage if it hits 4 targets, and is still as efficient as single DD if there only one target. It may not seem that useful even on evil, but come insane, when you have to spend TONS of time whacking stuff, the massive damage boost from Group DD helps a ton.

2. Because of this, you don't want to have Velm get mez; the only boss fight it's useful on is the faeries, and aside from that it really never comes in much handy. On the other hand, the 11 Group Heal, Group Shield, Celestial Hammer, Cast haste, and innate defense all serve to help on Terask 2, which is what the game in the end is all about; almost every skill you take should ask the question 'Will this help me on the second form of Terask?'; the only exceptions to this really are Group DD and Multiple targets, because they make the pre-Terask part so much easier.

But then again, that's just my opinion and I defend it voraciously :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 12:19 am 

But Velm has enough skill points to get all those skills. You don't have to choose. Don't be silly.

And you are right about haste, but I use haste on all the monster fights so I don't waste potions, I use potions on boss fights. So ultimately, group haste and meatgrinder are option when it comes to Terask.

Author of "How to Own a NQ2 Boss Fight"
William07 the koi needs your vote!
http://www.neopets.com/beauty/details.p ... =William07

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next