This board is for anything to do with the Pink Poogle Toy Forum. If you have a question or want to suggest any ideas, then this is the place to do it.
Topic locked

Banned word.

Wed Jul 21, 2004 2:00 am

I recently noticed that the word n*0*0*b has been banned from the PPT forums. I just want to know why this is because the word is not offensive it just means someone on neopets who is annoying and does things that another person may find stupid. It is defferent than a new member because if a new member does somthing stupid then it is excusable. A n*0*0*b is someone who has been on for a while and who still does stupid things that a member of their time wouldn't normally do.

Wed Jul 21, 2004 2:08 am

I think it confuses newbies.

Wed Jul 21, 2004 2:10 am

I personally do not agree with members here being able to freely call anyone here or their actions annoying or stupid. If one person determines something as stupid, it doesn't mean it is, people make mistakes. Even if someone is committing the same errors, despite the reason for their continued actions, it's still not necessary to refer to them with said term. If anyone used that term to describe me or my actions, I would find that insulting, I'm not sure many wouldn't. The terms is used derogatorily, and therefore not appropriate or kind.

thanks

Wed Jul 21, 2004 2:16 am

Thank you that was a good answer.

Wed Jul 21, 2004 2:20 am

There are however rules here about flaming. These rules not only protect members of this forum from personal attack, but anyone who potentially could be a member (which is everyone!).

Like Charisma said, it's a very derogatory and insulting term. Using it to describe anyone is not nice and inappropriate. I'd expect better of the people that post here, and in 99.9% of cases I find that we have a wonderful group that doesn't need to resort to using that term. *huggles ppters* :)

Wed Jul 21, 2004 4:21 am

Well, i don't think tehy need to worry about that, because if a mod sees someone trying to pass by the filter... *steps back*

Wed Jul 21, 2004 5:11 am

heh..I contributed when I put in no*0b and they missed it.

Wed Jul 21, 2004 10:51 pm

I had Jim explain this to me, if you want more, pm him

Go here:
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=derogatory

Thu Aug 05, 2004 5:16 am

I think the word is banned for a reason, because it may be offending to people, I would if someone called me that, myself.

If someone called me a word that means your annoying and stupid, I would feel terrible, and I dont think PPT wants any members to be offended by mean words.. *hugs members* :hug:

Thu Aug 05, 2004 7:44 am

Check out Aretha Franklin's RESPECT as well :) which is pretty much central to what it's all about.

Thu Aug 05, 2004 5:53 pm

atomicblonde wrote:There are however rules here about flaming. These rules not only protect members of this forum from personal attack, but anyone who potentially could be a member (which is everyone!).

Like Charisma said, it's a very derogatory and insulting term. Using it to describe anyone is not nice and inappropriate. I'd expect better of the people that post here, and in 99.9% of cases I find that we have a wonderful group that doesn't need to resort to using that term. *huggles ppters* :)

Not everyone who visits the forums posts. Also, not all our members know the difference between real life bullying and net-bullying. By allowing members to post derogatory posts we would have allowed other members to be hurt. After all, PPT's supposed to be a bit of a laugh. There is a need for us here on ppt to restrict certain offensive words, and obviously in the last review of the swear-box list thingy, that word was added.

Thu Aug 05, 2004 8:12 pm

Yeah, I found out that word was banned first-hand. Although I didn't get in trouble for it. :evil:

I was calling Christopher a n*0*0*b for having his head hurt when trying to figure out time travel. :lol: I got really confused when I saw it had changed to new member.

Fri Aug 20, 2004 11:30 pm

the term 'n0ob' is slightly offensive, as it is usually used when a beginner stinks.

Fri Aug 20, 2004 11:43 pm

"New Member" is an insult, it started as an insult, and it still is. Some people just don't realize that it is offensive <3

Fri Aug 20, 2004 11:47 pm

You two are replying to a dead topic (it hasn't had any new posts in over two weeks) Please don't post on these topics as they are considered SPAM.
Topic locked