SHHH!!! Can you read? Want to prove it? Meet fellow book worms and discuss the literary brilliance of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone.
Topic locked

Average books,

Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:42 am

Okay, you have favorite books, least favorite books, but what about the ones in the middle, that you don't love, but you don't hate?

Of Mice and Men. It's a good book, but it's not great. Interesting plot, but bad execution of excellent plot.

Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:59 am

The Prometheus Deception by Robert Ludlum

It was alright, but a bit predictable when it came to the big "shock horror twist!" moments.

Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:54 pm

Inheritance. Seriously, I don't know why people either think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread or the spawn of Satan, when all it is is a mild diversion. (Yes, I can accept mild diversions just this side of OotP-length.)

Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:42 pm

The Da Vinci Code

I wasn't particularly impressed by his writing style... especially at the beginning. Sometimes it feels really obvious that you're reading something that someone else has written, and not particularly well, y'know? Or you're just aware that "Oh, he's trying to introduce a character because..." or "He's mentioning x because x will be important in a couple of chapters".

But all in all, it was pretty enjoyable. I liked the trivia in it, and the puzzles.

Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:19 am

Can You Keep a Secret? by Sophie Kinsella.

I usually love her books, but this one was sort of.... Eh? I think she tried to push herself to finish this one or something.

Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:45 am

mazil wrote:The Da Vinci Code

I wasn't particularly impressed by his writing style... especially at the beginning. Sometimes it feels really obvious that you're reading something that someone else has written, and not particularly well, y'know? Or you're just aware that "Oh, he's trying to introduce a character because..." or "He's mentioning x because x will be important in a couple of chapters".

But all in all, it was pretty enjoyable. I liked the trivia in it, and the puzzles.

Agreed, the Da Vinci Code was disappointly average. Read Angels and Demons, it was much better

Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:33 am

the_dog_god wrote:Agreed, the Da Vinci Code was disappointly average. Read Angels and Demons, it was much better

I'm going to disagree and say they were both cruddy. That may just be my inherent dislike for overly masculine(and I can't explain what I mean exactly by masculine) writing style or my disappointed expectation that they would be extremely interesting despite mystery not being my preferred genre.
Mmm...fair to middling books...I tend not to remember those until they're mentioned. I didn't much care for Edgar Allan Poe's stuff, which kind of all winds up being the same if you read them back-to-back. And dystopias tend to run together as well. We get it--they don't work, don't make high school kids read Farenheit 451 until they hate it so much they actually want to start burning books.

Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:33 am

NeoPet_online wrote:Can You Keep a Secret? by Sophie Kinsella.

I usually love her books, but this one was sort of.... Eh? I think she tried to push herself to finish this one or something.

Aww, I liked that one. I just can't stomach her shopaholic series because of how much I can't relate to the main character. I mean, if you're in debt, don't spend money on designer clothes. It seems so obvious to me, yet she seems to get herself into so much trouble.
Topic locked