SHHH!!! Can you read? Want to prove it? Meet fellow book worms and discuss the literary brilliance of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone.
Topic locked

Re: Books That Made You Cry (Split #1)

Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:27 pm

I cried when I read the ending of The Amber Spyglass, the final installment of Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy.

WHY, PULLMAN??? WHY??? :cry:

Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:36 pm

Harry Potter and The Order Of The Phoenix and The Deathly Hallows. *sobbing*

Goodnight Mister Tom. I was trying to hold my tears since I was reading it with my sister sleeping in the same room. And it was 5 in the morning. *really sobbing*

And other books but I don't recall right now.

Thu May 29, 2008 2:49 pm

Deathly Hallows, obviously.

The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
always makes me cry. It isn't actually very sad, but there's a definite sense of certain things ending.

I've been known to bawl loudly a wee bit over St. Joan, too.

Sat May 31, 2008 6:58 pm

Atonement by Ian McEwan

I've never cried over a book so much.

Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:14 pm

Funnily enough, I don't remember crying first read of Deathly Hallows, but I'm crying or near tears everytime I read it now. I just can't belive it's over.

Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:35 pm

The giving tree is the only book I cried over.

Oh oh, and for some reason eggs By Jerry Spinelli had me teary for the poor boy.

Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:53 pm

I don't know if this has been posted -shrug- but I'll have to go with Burned by Ellen Hopkins. This book, is probably the best book I've EVER read (I'm going to have to say something bold right now, I think it was better than Fight Club). Note, though, that at points it is a little...uhh well PG-13 rated (maybe a soft R) xD but nothing more than that. I suggest it for people who are..well, 13 and above? I'm horrible at guessing what age things are appropriate for lol

3lla wrote:Atonement by Ian McEwan

I've never cried over a book so much.

Don't even talk to me about that book!!! =*(((

Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:54 am

The one book that made me cry was Marley & Me by Joe Grogan (name? I don't quite remember..). Oh man, I haven't cried that hard in a LONG time.

Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:25 am

Chinese Cinderella by Adeline Yen Mah would be the main one (it's incredibly touching/sad- and is semi-autobiographical). I was 10 when I read it. However, I also had a huge lump in my throat when I read Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (when Sirius died :()

Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:07 am

Old topic, but I can't help myself.
I cried in like 5 different Series of Unfortunate Events books, but mostly in "The End."
I cried so many times(so far, I'm not done yet) in Les Miserables, especially Fantine's death and I sob buckets of tears every time I read The Phantom of the Opera, every single time.

Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:33 pm

Moon wrote:The one book that made me cry was Marley & Me by Joe Grogan (name? I don't quite remember..). Oh man, I haven't cried that hard in a LONG time.

I got the book in my room i will check on the name now just hang on....................................... ahh you were close its John Grogan
i cried over that book too
i also cried over some of the harry potter books and this kind of diary thing called sorceress and i just finished this other book called slave girl it was so sad

Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:14 pm

hpfanfiction wrote:However, I also had a huge lump in my throat when I read Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (when Sirius died :()

That's exactly how I felt. The movie totally misses the emotion of that moment, you're kind of left wondering what the heck happened and than you realize that he's died so it takes the shock away.

Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:14 am

In terms of Harry Potter, I also find that the books capture the moment and emotions a lot better than the movie. Then again, the movie does have the constraint of being approximately two hours in length whereas with a book, we spend hours, sometimes even months or more (if the character appears in more books) familiarizing ourselves with the characters.

Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:48 am

I haven't replied to this one yet because honestly, I cry at almost anything in a book (things I would never cry over for myself in real life), so I've probably cried reading more books than I've not cried over. I cry over lost pets, being misunderstood, being unfairly accused of bad motives/wrongdoing, deaths (when the grief is shown realistically), any time someone expresses sadness or regret...

So, yes, I think I cried during just about every single HP book
(when Sirius died, I didn't believe it, but I cried so much over the scene in DD's office). In the Deathly Hallows, I wept bitterly over Hedwig's death (because I'd just lost a pet I'd had since I was 11, too), but also cried during Harry's decision (so basically through the whole forest chapters), even though I suspected the ending would turn out as it did). Yeah, so probably for more than half that book I was crying.

The worst book for me was Anne Frank's diary, though. About 2/3 of the way through, I'd become so invested in the character -- except this time she was a real person -- that I couldn't take it anymore and had to see if she made it. When I read in the back that she'd survived years in the concentration camp and died mere months before it was liberated, I was devastated. I threw the book across the room and didn't finish it until years later. I think I was about 11 at the time.

I won't list any more because basically, if someone else has said it and I've read it, I've probably cried over it, too. I think it's because I like to get really absorbed in the world of the book and almost assume the characters' role in my mind (which really creeped me out when I read Apt Pupil by Stephen King, which is about two serial killers -- but no, I didn't cry during that one, even when deaths occurred).

Sat May 23, 2009 12:13 am

I cried when reading Brisingr *sob* It was just so sad and so sweet...

DO NOT READ THE SPOILER IF YOU HAVEN'T READ BRISINGR YET. IF YOUR DYING OF CURIOSITY, GO GET IT AND START READING BECAUSE IT IS THE BEST BOOK EVER =)

When Saphira showed Eragon the message Brom left him... Well let's say I used about a whole box of Kleenex. It was so sad... Because you know Brom's dead and all the time they were traveling he couldn't tell Eragon he was Eragon's father... *cry* And I cried a bit when Oromis and Glaedr died too. =(

TwizEdit: Just rearraged the placement of things so the warning is placed before the spoiler. :)
Topic locked