Pink Poogle Toy Forum

The official community of Pink Poogle Toy
Main Site
NeoDex
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 3:14 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Anybody read Othello by William Shakespeare?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 3:57 am 
PPT God
PPT God

^.- Just wondering since I'm reading it right now...

Ooh. It's pretty. :D See all the pretty presents? They can be yours if you vote for me. Yet, none of you know me. T_T How sad. There's no way to get the pretty presents then. :(

Last edited by Syrill on Fri Feb 04, 2005 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 5:16 am 
PPT Student
PPT Student

O.o I saw my English teacher reading it this morning when we were in the library checking books out for a class project.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 5:11 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

Location: Politically Sanitized, Non-Jim-Slappable Location. La Button par _jaye_
Yeah, I've read it.

Thanks for specifying that it was a play just in case there was any confusion on that one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 5:57 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Aww, you beat me to that remark :P

I haven't actually read it, though I actually know the plot fairly well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 12:43 am 
PPT God
PPT God

Location: Politically Sanitized, Non-Jim-Slappable Location. La Button par _jaye_
Igg wrote:

It was going to be said eventually. I figured I'd grab it. 8)

Its actually my favourite Shakespeare play. I would pay good money to play Iago.

I hate it when high school teachers make kids read Romeo and Juliet and turn them off Shakespeare when they could give them this and get them hooked.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 3:23 am 
PPT God
PPT God

coming2atvnearu wrote:
Yeah, I've read it.

Thanks for specifying that it was a play just in case there was any confusion on that one.

Yes, I do seem to state the obvious don't I? :D Hehe...I think I'll edit that out...to reduce the snippy snappy sarcastic remarks that follow

Ooh. It's pretty. :D See all the pretty presents? They can be yours if you vote for me. Yet, none of you know me. T_T How sad. There's no way to get the pretty presents then. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 6:09 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

coming2atvnearu wrote:
Igg wrote:

Its actually my favourite Shakespeare play. I would pay good money to play Iago.

I hate it when high school teachers make kids read Romeo and Juliet and turn them off Shakespeare when they could give them this and get them hooked.

Romeo and Juliet isn't too bad, but for some reason it really turns kids off Shakespeare. I quite like it. But it always seems to be approached in such a way that people start to dislike it and think it's fairly lame.

I tell you what though, talk about turning kids of Shakespeare, I had to study Henry V for my exams when I was 13. Dear lord. On later inspection it wasn't that bad, but the way we studied it was so boring!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:39 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

Igg wrote:
coming2atvnearu wrote:
Igg wrote:

Romeo and Juliet isn't too bad, but for some reason it really turns kids off Shakespeare. I quite like it. But it always seems to be approached in such a way that people start to dislike it and think it's fairly lame.

I tell you what though, talk about turning kids of Shakespeare, I had to study Henry V for my exams when I was 13. Dear lord. On later inspection it wasn't that bad, but the way we studied it was so boring!

Throwing 13 year olds on Henry V??? That's not a good move at all.

Personally I dislike R&J because Romeo is such a wimpy, wishy-washy character. When the play first starts he's smitten with some other chick before he decides to fall madly in love with Juliet. Juliet, on the other hand, has a whole whack of fun layers to play with. Maybe its just the rebel in me that automatically gets sick of anything mainstream... even if its mainstream Shakespeare. :P

"Yeah, man, Shakespeare totally sold out to the man."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:47 pm 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

I'm studying it at the moment and I must say, Iago is EVIL! He's Shakespeare's most villianious character as he has no redeming characteristics. :evil:

It's coming...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 9:43 am 
PPT Warrior
PPT Warrior

Location: Keeping the Hallowe'en spirit all through the year.
Twinkle wrote:
I'm studying it at the moment and I must say, Iago is EVIL! He's Shakespeare's most villianious character as he has no redeming characteristics. :evil:

As opposed to the many fine qualities of Lady Macbeth. . . .

Or Hamlet's uncle/step-father Claudius, for that matter.

hiddenneggs / Will
----
"But then again, i think the main reason people invented civilization was to get together and complain about the wild animals eating them." --mousapelli

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 11:44 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

coming2atvnearu wrote:
Igg wrote:
coming2atvnearu wrote:
Igg wrote:

Throwing 13 year olds on Henry V??? That's not a good move at all.

Personally I dislike R&J because Romeo is such a wimpy, wishy-washy character. When the play first starts he's smitten with some other chick before he decides to fall madly in love with Juliet. Juliet, on the other hand, has a whole whack of fun layers to play with. Maybe its just the rebel in me that automatically gets sick of anything mainstream... even if its mainstream Shakespeare. :P

"Yeah, man, Shakespeare totally sold out to the man."

Oh yeah, Romeo's a total wuss. Can't stand the boy. The character also makes it rather hard to believe in this 'true love' malarky between R&J. Yes, Juliet has more layers to play with, but she could also do with a bit of a slap. In my opinion :P

Hiddenneggs, my favourite Shakespeare essay I wrote was about Lady Macbeth. She does has some rather fine qualities.
As for Claudius, meh. Not really evil, just ambitious. I like to feel sympathy for the villains :P

One of my favourites is The Taming of the Shrew. I know a lot of women absolutely loathe it, and it puts them off Shakespeare, though. Petruchio's a wonderful character though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 10:33 pm 
PPT Toddler
PPT Toddler

coming2atvnearu wrote:
Igg wrote:

really, if I had read Othello first I wouldn't have liked Shakespeare. The whole thing is so contrived. I very much dislike Othello, and though I don't think R&J is his best work, it's better than the complete lack of redemptive value in Othello. Talk about people who aren't really in love! It's the one play that I didn't even attempt to reread this year for my Shakespeare coursework.

Shukrun habeebti :) these are gorgeous Star.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:40 pm 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

hiddenneggs wrote:
Twinkle wrote:

I've never read Hamlet but at the end of Macbeth, Lady Macbeth goes mad from guilt. Iago is the only evil character that Shakespeare created (that I know of) who fails to show remorse for his actions.

It's coming...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 12:49 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Twinkle wrote:
hiddenneggs wrote:
Twinkle wrote:

Iago is the only evil character that Shakespeare created (that I know of) who fails to show remorse for his actions.

In a way, that may be true but Macbeth (from Macbeth) can be looked on as evil but also at the same time, good.

I personally haven't read Othello but everytime I came into my Grade 10 & 11 English classes, I saw a huge stack of Othello books on the teacher's desk. I assume in Grade 12 I'll be studying it.

My favorite thus far is "Merchant of Venice".

Set by Medli

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:12 am 
PPT God
PPT God

^^ My english teacher said that Romeo and Juliet was more pathetic than a tragedy...Aaah...Finally an english teacher who actually understands ^^

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next