SHHH!!! Can you read? Want to prove it? Meet fellow book worms and discuss the literary brilliance of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone.
Topic locked

Slight problem

Sun Nov 06, 2005 3:11 pm

I've got to pick a book out of about two hundered. I've got it down to two but I can't pick which one I want to read. Help?

The books are 1984 by George Orwell and CAtch-22 by Joseph Heller.

Has anyone read them?

Sun Nov 06, 2005 3:14 pm

I read Catch-22 and my brother read 1984. The aforementioned brother said 1984 was depressing, and I found Catch-22 to be amusing at times, though it's got quite a few serious parts.

Sun Nov 06, 2005 3:35 pm

I have never heared of them, so I can't help, sorry

Sun Nov 06, 2005 4:50 pm

I've read them both, and I'd reccomend 1984,personally. If you want something more amusing, though, I'd go with Catch-22. 1984 is a lot more serious.

Sun Nov 06, 2005 5:37 pm

I've only read 1984 out of those two but I'd certainly recommend it. It's one of those must read books - it can be depressing but it is extremely thought provoking.

Sun Nov 06, 2005 6:58 pm

I've only read Catch-22. Despite what other people are saying, I think it is serious, and it's pretty thought-provoking for something so... nihilistic. It's fairly confusing, partly because the events aren't presented in order, and it's extremely difficult to make sense out of it.

I loved it so much, though. It's funny, yeah. It's also smart and cynical and frustrating and... you should read it.

Sun Nov 06, 2005 7:16 pm

Miss Padfoot wrote:I've only read Catch-22. Despite what other people are saying, I think it is serious, and it's pretty thought-provoking for something so... nihilistic. It's fairly confusing, partly because the events aren't presented in order, and it's extremely difficult to make sense out of it.

I loved it so much, though. It's funny, yeah. It's also smart and cynical and frustrating and... you should read it.

Wel it does undoubtedly have it's serious moments, but overall, it's more amusing than 1984.

Sun Nov 06, 2005 8:17 pm

I prefer 1984, but Catch 22 is probably the more enjoyable in a way.

Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:58 am

I've only read 1984 and it is a bit depressing, but also very thought-provoking. It's not meant to be humorous. I think it's classed as dystopian fiction, but I'm not sure. It's a good book, anyway.

Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:57 am

I vote for 1984, but catch 22 was also decent.

Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:15 am

If it comes to a crunch on a school assignment, I'm pretty sure Ninteen Eighty-Four is shorter.

Also, while the title of Catch-22 has become a well-known phrase, Nineteen Eighty-Four probably has had a stronger cultural impact.

Nitpick: The title of Orwell's book is spelled out.

Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:18 pm

Well I ended up grabbing 1984, and will probably end up reading Catch-22 also. I hate having to chose one book over another. :o
Topic locked