Know your Gundams from your Evas? Your Chobits from your .hack? Think Boba is the best thing since Pocky? You're not alone. Enter!
Topic locked

Miyazaki Films on Turner Classic Movies in January

Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:48 am

http://www.turnerclassicmovies.com/this ... cid=114160

Just a heads up to those who have cable in the US and have a love for Miyazaki, Turner Classic Movies is showing 9 Miyazaki/Studio Ghibli films all this month on Thurdays. The films will be shown in both dubbed and subtitled formats.

Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:24 am

If TCM was a person, I'd hug it.

Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:27 am

I wonder how Turner got the rights from Buena Vista? I thought they owned all the rights on the Ghibli products?

Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:15 pm

I do believe you can get the channel in Canada as well, I get it on Star Choice (sattelite).
A free preview of the channel just ended, but if you have the channel group that includes YTV, Family, and Teletoon, you get TCM as well.

Now if I can just get that stupid VCR to work.

Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:08 pm

Now I wish I didn't have a basketball game tomorrow ;_; Where's that VCR of mine?

Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:16 pm

I'd hug Turner too, Hyperior. :o

THANK YOU TED TURNER!
*scurries off to go see when Nausicaa will be on*

Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:42 pm

Bonus sweepstakes to go with the shows. Looks like a good thing to enter, but I'm not one for sweepstakes so you'll have one less person to worry about stealing your prizes :P

Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:02 am

I pounced on that sweepstakes immediately. :P

Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:36 am

Ooo, hurrah! I've actually got TCM on Cable. Hopefully they'll show at a convenient time for me. *crosses fingers*

Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:17 pm

Lillie wrote:Ooo, hurrah! I've actually got TCM on Cable. Hopefully they'll show at a convenient time for me. *crosses fingers*

Tonight:

Spirited Away is at 8pm and will go to ometime around 10:10pm or so. Then Princess Mononoke airs and I can't remember how long it goes. Then Spirited Away airs again. :)

Hope that helped...somewhat. <_<

Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:58 pm

DM was on fire! wrote:
Lillie wrote:Ooo, hurrah! I've actually got TCM on Cable. Hopefully they'll show at a convenient time for me. *crosses fingers*

Tonight:

Spirited Away is at 8pm and will go to ometime around 10:10pm or so. Then Princess Mononoke airs and I can't remember how long it goes. Then Spirited Away airs again. :)

Hope that helped...somewhat. <_<

I believe the second airing of Spirited Away will be the subtitled version. Apparently they will be showing the dubbed versions in the evening, and then the subtitled versions in the early morning.

Since I already own Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke and refuse to watch dubs, I guess I won't be watching TCM tonight. ^_-

Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:13 pm

I know the repulsion for dubs people have because of much misc. editing and poor voice acting, but I've read that the dubbing for Spirited Away not only does very well to stay true to the subbed version but also has some of the best dubbing. I'm unsure about Princess Mononoke even though I've seen the dubbed version because it was long ago, but I can't recall anything negative about it, like I could about, say, One Piece (ugh).

Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:54 am

Hyperion wrote:I know the repulsion for dubs people have because of much misc. editing and poor voice acting, but I've read that the dubbing for Spirited Away not only does very well to stay true to the subbed version but also has some of the best dubbing. I'm unsure about Princess Mononoke even though I've seen the dubbed version because it was long ago, but I can't recall anything negative about it, like I could about, say, One Piece (ugh).

I have both DVDs and I can vouch that the dubbing for Mononoke Hime was pretty well done. Gillian Anderson did a great job, surprisingly ^__^

(before I pressed play I was like, "Scully if you mess this up....")

Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:59 am

Chanel wrote:...

I have both DVDs and I can vouch that the dubbing for Mononoke Hime was pretty well done. Gillian Anderson did a great job, surprisingly ^__^

(before I pressed play I was like, "Scully if you mess this up....")

I liked the Mononoke's dubbed version too, but I only saw it in theaters. Every other time I have seen it, it was subbed. After I get the disk, I almost never go back to dubbed.

Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:01 am

*scowl scowl scowl*

Apparently, we just get repeats of weird movies and no Miyazaki goodness. :(
Topic locked