Pink Poogle Toy Forum

The official community of Pink Poogle Toy
Main Site
NeoDex
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:50 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: 2008 Olympic Games
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:39 am 
PPT Toddler
PPT Toddler

On the 2nd May, the Olympic Flame will be passed around my city. There are also many celebrations in here that is trying to get us citizens to participate in supporting the games. For example, I saw several Olympic mascots near Kwun Tong MTR station. Personally, I am not a big supporter of the games and nothing will change my mind.

Asking everybody, what are your views on the games?

Warning: DON'T use incorrect grammar or else you'll find someone knocking on your door!
Old username: mrshemment
New username: darkness_40 - Feel free to neomail me!

Want to take a blond test? click here

Post subject: Re: 2008 Olympic Games
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:37 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

im sorry but protesting the olympics simply because of the country it's being hosted in?
that's crazy.

The olympics is about unity and I will always be in support of that.

set by Sakura

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:31 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

Location: I don't know, but there'd better be chocolate. [art by Fiddelysquat]
3lla wrote:
im sorry but protesting the olympics simply because of the country it's being hosted in?
that's crazy.

The Olympics are political. That's to be expected. Hosting the Olympics is an honor and a gift conferred on a nation, and therefore it is expected that the chosen nation be exemplary. Many people do not consider China to be exemplary, particularly on human rights, and therefore they protest the selection of China.
I'm not condemning or condoning here(Hah! For once I'm restraining myself!), but I don't see any way to not have politics involved when it's an international event that involves more money invested and reaped than I care to imagine.

"Oh, better far to live and die/Under the brave black flag I fly/Than play a sanctimonious part/With a pirate head and a pirate heart."

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 4:10 am 
PPT Toddler
PPT Toddler

Moongewl wrote:
3lla wrote:
that's crazy.

The Olympics are political. That's to be expected. Hosting the Olympics is an honor and a gift conferred on a nation, and therefore it is expected that the chosen nation be exemplary. Many people do not consider China to be exemplary, particularly on human rights, and therefore they protest the selection of China.
I'm not condemning or condoning here(Hah! For once I'm restraining myself!), but I don't see any way to not have politics involved when it's an international event that involves more money invested and reaped than I care to imagine.

I totally agree with you. There had been several Olympic Games in which politics had intervened. For example, the 1936 Olympic Games and the 1972 Olympic Games. In the 1936 Games, Hitler used the chance to advertise Aryan supremacy and in 1972, The terrorist group, "The Black September", murdered 11 Israelis. So it is perfectly normal for politics to be involved.

Today is when the Olympic Flame is being passed around HK but I don't think they can do it because it is raining outside.

Warning: DON'T use incorrect grammar or else you'll find someone knocking on your door!
Old username: mrshemment
New username: darkness_40 - Feel free to neomail me!

Want to take a blond test? click here

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:02 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Location: Watching little birds fly kamikaze missions into the walls.
Okay, so the Olympics have officially started :) Who are you rooting for? Which events do you plan on watching? Discuss!

I'm rooting for the USA since I live there ;) I love to watch the swimming, diving, and gymnastics. The vollyball, beach vollyball, and soccer has been great so far.

Out of everyone participating for the USA, I'm definitely rooting for Michael Phelps :D

It was an honor serving you PPT. I will miss you.
Click here to join my new werewolf forum!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:18 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

May wrote:
Okay, so the Olympics have officially started :) Who are you rooting for? Which events do you plan on watching? Discuss!

I'm rooting for the USA since I live there ;) I love to watch the swimming, diving, and gymnastics. The vollyball, beach vollyball, and soccer has been great so far.

Out of everyone participating for the USA, I'm definitely rooting for Michael Phelps :D

I'm rooting for USA also!!
(...and half-heartedly rooting for "Chinese Taipei", aka TAIWAN)

I'm just watching whatever event is on when I turn on my television. But unfortunately, I missed the USA vs China bball game this morning due to church.

Whoooo!! MICHAEL PHELPS IS AMAZZIIIINNNGGGGG!!!

Oh yeah, the opening ceremony was phenomenal. Just wow. :o

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:29 am 
PPT Trainee
PPT Trainee

I'm cheering for Team Canada!!!
The specific athlete I'm cheering for is Jujie Luan, the 50 year old Chinese Canadian fencer. Woot Jujie!!!

I like to watch many events. Rather than name them all, I'll just tell you that I don't really like watching team events like baseball and basketball, etc. Boooring. I especially don't like to watch field hockey. I'm really looking forward to gymnastics. The routines are amazing! Also, I'm excited for taekwondo and possibly table tennis.

It's so hard to choose!

By the way, does anyone know where I can watch the opening ceremonies online? Or where I can download a video?

[Manufactured by Byakuya San]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:33 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Location: Watching little birds fly kamikaze missions into the walls.
Regan wrote:
By the way, does anyone know where I can watch the opening ceremonies online? Or where I can download a video?

I don't know how much they actually show, but NBC has some videos here that include parts of the opening ceremonies :)

It was an honor serving you PPT. I will miss you.
Click here to join my new werewolf forum!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:05 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

GO TEAM UAE! WOOO!
*waves small uae flag*

I don't know whether or not it's my experience actually meeting Michael Phelps or if it's just because I don't really like the guy, but I don't want him to win eight gold medals. He seemed very rude to me and my old coach(who he just so happened to be friends with), but that was probably because he was a bit stressed at the time.
I don't know what it is, I just don't really like the guy.....*shrug*

The opening ceremony was great!
It made me want to dress up in a neon suit and run around mindlessly :P

I guess the only few things that are annoying me during these games is the fact that I only have two channels that show the events and half the time they show events I dont want to watch! :x
That and I was annoyed that Gordon Brown wasn't there to wave on the Great Britain Olympic Team when they entered the stadium(I went nuts because Mark Foster was carrying the flag and I've met him too :P).

Apart from that, I just want to go and cuddle one of the mascots XD

set by Sakura

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:17 am 
PPT Trainee
PPT Trainee

Team USA!!! Woohoo.

I pretty much watch whatever is on when i turn the tv on....and i only have one channel.

Michael Phelps is definately my favorite swimmer. At this point I dont really have a favorite gymnast [womens anyway..i havent seen the men's yet].

I wish i could have seen the opening ceremonies I cant even watch clips of it because i have dial up. :( [those dumb digital converter boxes make me mad...i had to disconnect it to get channel 8 at all again :x ]

Awesome set by Tomatie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:32 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

I end up watching whatever is on. I enjoy watching the swimming and gymnastics mostly.

I watched the relay the other night, that was pretty cool!

I'm rooting for the US because I live here. My only complaint is where I live, they only show the stuff late at night. :P (At least as far as I can tell)

I believe the US is in the lead as far as total medals, but we've only gotten 3 Gold. At least that's how it was the last time I checked. I'm not sure who has the most gold at the moment, I want to say China, but I'm not sure.

Set by Moogie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:55 pm 
PPT Trainee
PPT Trainee

As of this morning, China has 7 gold medals, I believe.

I'm rooting for everyone now. Especially the underdogs - all the small countries. Go team!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:28 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

3lla wrote:
that's crazy.

The olympics is about unity and I will always be in support of that.

Call me crazy than. I've signed many a petition urging Coke, McDonald's, and other companies to not sponsor the Olympics this year. I believe China should work on their humanitarian efforts before they spend millions on a game. But, this doesn't mean I'm not supporting my team and watching the games. I just think it shouldn't be in China, yet. Though, I have to admit the opening ceremony was magical (after which I found out that some of it was CGI!! What the heck! xD) http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26139005/

Like in waiting rooms and long lines that made you late or mall parking lots on holidays
Blog | Flickr | Twitter | Zune

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:47 am 
PPT Trainee
PPT Trainee

I feel like I'm the only person in the world who doesn't care about Michael Phelps.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:57 am 
PPT God
PPT God

Regan wrote:
I feel like I'm the only person in the world who doesn't care about Michael Phelps.

Don't worry I really couldnt care either.

but it did smurf me off that he won.
I guess they'll be testing him every other second for performance enhancing drugs.

set by Sakura

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next