Pink Poogle Toy Forum

The official community of Pink Poogle Toy
Main Site
NeoDex
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:23 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Graphic Editing Programs
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:13 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Hey guys,

So I finally got a new computer (woo!). I love doing graphic design in my spare time, and for the past 5 years or so I've always used Paintshop Pro 7. I've tried newer versions in the past, but never really liked them. I've used Photoshop in the past (old versions) and was never a huge fan of it, maybe because I was just so set in my ways with PSP7.

Since I think I'm a bit outdated with the program I use, I'm looking for recommendations! I'd really like to try a more recent program, so what do you guys use? What do you think of other graphic editing programs that are out now? Should I just stick with PSP7 or can I find something much better out there?

Thanks for any help you can provide! :)

Submit your picture for the Official 2009 PPT Collage today!

Post subject: Re: Graphic Editing Programs
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:06 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Been having the same issues with PSP7 - just feels like you're playing with an Atari when your friend is next to you with a gameboy.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:18 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Favorite Cheese: Mozzerella String Cheese
I love Jasc Paintshop Pro. I'd say stick with it. I would bet you know all the keyboard shortcuts and all the tools by heart.

I had and really liked PSP7 for a very long time. When PSP9 came out I splurged and upgraded. I left both versions installed for a while because I was a bit put off by the new v9 interface, but some of the newer features were very nice so I eventually gravitated to v9 only. Now, I really like PSP9 - I can do what I want to do very quickly and I really like the PSP file format as it preserves all the layers which makes later editing much much easier. Another solid plus for PSP is that it can directly use the Photoshop plug-ins as well.

FWIW, I did upgrade to "X" also because Corel claimed it was faster, better, blah, blah, blah. I felt Corel ruined PSP and have no plans to upgrade any further than v9. Another negative for Corel's newer versions (XI & X2) is that they apparently also install a third party program "PSIService.exe" which manages the license with a remote host (potential spyware).

I have tried Adobe's offerings but won't switch for two reasons: 1. would have to learn entirely new interface (and like you, I also am set in my PSP ways), and 2. Adobe is rather expensive.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:01 am 
PPT Student
PPT Student

i used to use paint shop pro, but unlike you once I got photoshop I got addicted to it and couldn't go BACK to psp XD
there are a few other options when it comes to digital arts. aside from photoshop & painter (which are the main ones), you could get opencanvas, SAI or art rage. they are all pretty small programs and don't cost a lot of money. they also have quite good pressure sensitivity.

edit: actually, maybe those aren't so good for your purposes. they are mainly used for digital painting, not photo editing. still, if you are up to it I recommend you try them, they are a lot of fun :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:16 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Favorite Cheese: Mozzerella String Cheese
About pressure sensitivity - I'll assume that you have a penpad/graphic tablet/etc. instead of just a mouse. I'm pretty much limited to mouse & keyboard. Without trying to sound stupid, how much "added value" is the pen/pad input for photo editing? I've been curious to try it, but not willing to spend the money on one yet.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:48 pm 
PPT Trainee
PPT Trainee

Gimp because it's free and multi-platform.
I also played around with Pixia (freeware) a while back, that's pretty good too.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]