PC, X-Box, Playstation 2, Gamecube and so on. Hints, tips and discussion here.
Topic locked

So...how do they start?

Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:14 pm

Say I have an extensively detailed concept for a game world and gameplay mechanics that I've developed for almost six years, which I do. Several attempts have been made to turn it into something playable, even a demo, and all of them have somewhat crumbled.

What I hadn't attempted yet was a browser-based game, like Neopets, Subeta or Gaia, but I need advice on a starting point. I know how Neopets got off the ground, but what about its imitators such as Subeta? Who started Gaia? What coding languages should I be studying more of if I want to do it all myself? If I find that too challenging, how would I go about finding and hiring the right sort of programmers? Does anyone here have any hands-on experience?

I've thought about applying as an artist to some existing game to get my foot in the door and make better connections, but I wouldn't even know where to start with that plan, either. Making anything at all seems like it hinges more on dumb luck than anything else.

Re: So...how do they start?

Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:20 pm

Generally a good place to meet petsite staff is virtualpetlist.com.
It seems most petgames are written in PHP, although I think other server-side languages are possible, but not that common.

Subeta originally started as a project that Keith Kurson wanted to use to improve his PHP skills. As for Gaia, I cannot tell.
Topic locked