Pink Poogle Toy Forum

The official community of Pink Poogle Toy
Main Site
NeoDex
It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 2:21 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: PSP price announced (PSP is dead!)
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:36 pm 
PPT Warrior
PPT Warrior

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/02/03 ... 17815.html

Price: $250 for value pack. There will be no standard pack at launch and games will be $39.99-49.99. That means you may pay as much as 300 bucks on launch day for the system and a game. Bad move Sony.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 8:19 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

Not that you're biased or anything. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 8:33 pm 
Way Beyond Godly
Way Beyond Godly

Location: Outside on your boulevarde scaring small children. Um... or in Illinois.
I doubt that would break them. They can sell a little over half as much as the DS and still make about the same profit. In the first couple few days of sales, rabid fanboys make up a lot of the purchases. Most of them aren't going to care about the extra bit of money they have to spend on it, which isn't a bad deal at all if you add it up. Some of the products included are staples (well, really only the Memory Stick), and some of them... why do they see the need to releases them with it? Also, PSP has a much larger variety games coming out at release, which will seriously boost sales, whether the library is mediocre or not. More games generally means better sales because they appeal to a more broad spectrum of gamers.

I highly doubt that the PSP will flop, at least at the beginning, and that's the only objective that Sony even needs to make. The point isn't selling more than the DS, it's successfully staying in the market with the DS. As long as there are people that are just going to buy something because it is by their favorite company, consoles are going to do fairly well.

I still haven't found a single game on either system that interests me, except for Dynasty Warriors on PSP, but I'm not going to buy a console for one game. I don't see any possible way that the PSP could ever sell more than the DS, but I don't see it flopping over something that could easily change in the future. If in the occasion sales aren't great, they will probably change it.

You also have to remember the targeted audience that each company is appealing to. While this isn't universally true, the DS is aiming for a younger audience and the PSP is targetting people that have jobs and the money to pay for these kind of things. I am concerned on some of the games that both sides are attempting to produce, in fact, I thought both could do better. Looking at the lineup of both, I just don't see anything (that includes games that haven't been released) that's worth buying either system for.

Yay! I finally made a post that wasn't completely cruel to biaseness (is that a word?).

CLICK IT!
Thanks to Laq. :o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 8:37 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

Id love to own both...I own a DS already but I doubt I will be owning a PSP anytime soon just too expensive! Maybe when they drop in price...I dont really need all the features that the PSP has but it would be fun to play

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:00 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

I definitely can't afford a PSP. It's a good thing there aren't any games for it I'm dying to have.

Gone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:02 pm 
PPT Warrior
PPT Warrior

Kugetsu wrote:
I doubt that would break them. They can sell a little over half as much as the DS and still make about the same profit. In the first couple few days of sales, rabid fanboys make up a lot of the purchases. Most of them aren't going to care about the extra bit of money they have to spend on it, which isn't a bad deal at all if you add it up. Some of the products included are staples (well, really only the Memory Stick), and some of them... why do they see the need to releases them with it? Also, PSP has a much larger variety games coming out at release, which will seriously boost sales, whether the library is mediocre or not. More games generally means better sales because they appeal to a more broad spectrum of gamers.

You also have to remember the targeted audience that each company is appealing to. While this isn't universally true, the DS is aiming for a younger audience and the PSP is targetting people that have jobs and the money to pay for these kind of things. I am concerned on some of the games that both sides are attempting to produce, in fact, I thought both could do better. Looking at the lineup of both, I just don't see anything (that includes games that haven't been released) that's worth buying either system for.

Yay! I finally made a post that wasn't completely cruel to biaseness (is that a word?).

While it may have a really big launch lineup, a pricepoint of $49.99 a game could really kill it.

And for the whole PSP is aiming for an older audience thing just look at this.

Quote:
Use of the DS among the over-19 "mature" set has also risen from 49 to 59 percent

Taken from http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/02/03 ... 17814.html , 3rd paragraph.

One word, PWNED! (Sorry, I have been spending too much time on the gamefaqs boards.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 10:35 pm 
Way Beyond Godly
Way Beyond Godly

Location: Outside on your boulevarde scaring small children. Um... or in Illinois.
rbpnmn wrote:
Kugetsu wrote:

While it may have a really big launch lineup, a pricepoint of $49.99 a game could really kill it.

Quote:
Use of the DS among the over-19 "mature" set has also risen from 49 to 59 percent

Taken from http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/02/03 ... 17814.html , 3rd paragraph.

One word, PWNED! (Sorry, I have been spending too much time on the gamefaqs boards.)

That doesn't disapprove the target audience. That just means that more people outside of the targeted range have bought or played more with the. The targeted audience and the actual audience that buys it are two different things. One is the group that the company is aiming mostly for, the other is the actual age group of the people that bought it. Though, in theory and because most ESRB rating are discerned by most of the population, the targeted audience doesn't make that great of a difference in the overall scheme of things but it sounds good. XD

The GameFAQ boards will fry your brain :P Kind of like this:

PHAIL /10

Not fully sure what that means, but it is sure used quite a bit. :lol:

CLICK IT!
Thanks to Laq. :o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 12:22 am 
PPT Warrior
PPT Warrior

Kugetsu wrote:
rbpnmn wrote:
Kugetsu wrote:

Quote:

That doesn't disapprove the target audience. That just means that more people outside of the targeted range have bought or played more with the. The targeted audience and the actual audience that buys it are two different things. One is the group that the company is aiming mostly for, the other is the actual age group of the people that bought it. Though, in theory and because most ESRB rating are discerned by most of the population, the targeted audience doesn't make that great of a difference in the overall scheme of things but it sounds good. XD

The GameFAQ boards will fry your brain :P Kind of like this:

PHAIL /10

Not fully sure what that means, but it is sure used quite a bit. :lol:

I'm just saying that it seems like older people aren't afraid of buying Nintendo stuff because they will look kiddy anymore.

My favorite things from gamefaqs are their way of telling you that something it old.

OLD'D
OLD'D/10

Jesus riding a dinosaur/10
Jebusaur/10

It is very amusing to read the boards an gamefaqs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 2:18 pm 
PPT Student
PPT Student

I knew from the start PSP Will have a very rocky start, and though I am Bias to anything that not Nintendo, I do know info on all systems. Nintendo First Gameboy beat out systems that were 5x better then it. Nintendo had the games and the battery life. Psp does not have a good game library right now, but you never know. Also I wondering if the ds will go down in some price when it comes out to make it even harder to ignore. I also know the the GBA has made some of the more entertaining games then even the 3 console. It a hit a go though. I mean look at x-box, it still alive even when Nintendo and Play Station were the top dog. Game survived for this long, It will still go on, I bet.

-If you ever need help, I'll do my best to help
-My Neopet name is Galonski64
-I am offering homes for the poor Clockwork Icy Skeleton so if you have one you hate, please donate them to me, Thankyou.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:37 pm 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

good old society, always optomisitc :)
"the PSP will PWN nintendo once and for all!!"
yes, well, so too was the Ngage going to.
the neo geo.
the mega drive handheld thing.

Nintendo Pwns j00 all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 10:18 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

No it isn't the bundle has lots of stuff in it, including a Spider-man 2 Movie in the UMD format.

"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it." - Terry Pratchett. Thanks to Blue for the set!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 10:22 pm 
PPT Warrior
PPT Warrior

sir_michael wrote:
No it isn't the bundle has lots of stuff in it, including a Spider-man 2 Movie in the UMD format.

Which most people already have on DVD. Why would you want to watch it on that tiny screen when you could watch it on a TV? And just about the rest of the stuff in there is junk!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 10:27 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

rbpnmn wrote:
sir_michael wrote:

Which most people already have on DVD. Why would you want to watch it on that tiny screen when you could watch it on a TV? And just about the rest of the stuff in there is junk!

I don't own it yet! :cry:

So not everyone owns it. And I wanna buy a PSP anyways, why, because my friend owns a DS, and I've played it, and I don't like it. The only thing I liked was the Metroid demo, (i'm good at it). I played Super Mario 64 DS. The launch titles on the Ds aren't that great, and out of the games coming out, only a few interest me. Up with SONY!!! *dances around with Sony flag* I also wanna buy the PSP because many of my favourite games on the PS2 will be on the PSP.

"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it." - Terry Pratchett. Thanks to Blue for the set!

Last edited by sir_michael on Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:35 pm 
PPT Student
PPT Student

sir_michael wrote:
rbpnmn wrote:
sir_michael wrote:

I don't own it yet! :cry:

So not everyone owns it. And I wanna buy a PSP anyways, why, because my friend owns a DS, and I've played it, and I don't like it. The only thing I liked was the Metroid demo, (i'm good at it). I played Super Mario 64 DS. The launch titles on the Ds aren't that great, and out of the games coming out, only a few interest me. Up with SONY!!! *dances around with Sony flag* I also wanna buy the PSP because many of my favpurite games on the PS2 will be on the PSP.
Here here! BTW When comparing the PSP's screen with the DS screens, I'm sure you'd change your opinion on which screen is tiny. :P And on that subject, the same thing could be said about those GBA umm, videos. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 9:07 am 
PPT Student
PPT Student

It won't kill them, Ipod cost tons and it still rules the MP3 market, heck, Ipod costs more then a PSP. I can get it Tax free where we live (Germany but we go to the American post and we get it tax free and a little bit cheaper).

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next