Main Site
NeoDex
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:40 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Wordle
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 1:28 am 
Way Beyond Godly
Way Beyond Godly

This topic is for discussing the free daily puzzle game Wordle (https://www.powerlanguage.co.uk/wordle/)

Here's my current win distribution:
1: 0
2: 0
3: 7
4: 7
5: 3
6: 2
19 wins/100%

P.S. @Blue

Blue graffitied on my signature... But it made me laugh, so it's all good!

Post subject: Re: Wordle
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:47 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Favorite Cheese: Mozzerella String Cheese
Thanks for starting this topic. I tried to avoid Wordle for a long time, but it managed to suck me in.

Unfortunately, the phpBB internals do not allow for posting the little cube results block :(

I am still at 100%, but have only played 8 times

Statistics

Played: 8
Win 100 %

Guess Distribution
1: 0
2: 1
3: 1
4: 4
5: 2
6: 0

I got lucky on the 2 and unlucky on the 5's.

ETA: Much sadness. I failed today.

It took 4 tries to narrow it down to only 3 possible words. For guess 5, I went with the most common word. Guess 6 was the 2nd most common word. Sadly, it was the least common word. :cry:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:35 pm 
Way Beyond Godly
Way Beyond Godly

Aww, bummer. Since it's late in the day and this place is pretty empty, I'll do spoilers. I got the H in the wrong spot and the A and R in the right spot on my first guess. Fingers crossed on my second that it would be CHARM, but it wasn't, so I tried WHARF next. At that point, I knew it had to be SHAR- (I'd eliminated the T and couldn't think of a 5-letter PHAR- common word), and since I'd eliminated the E, I was able to finally get it on my fourth guess.

I suppose there's something to be said for deliberately guessing wrong letters when you're almost out of guesses, just to narrow things down faster. I haven't had to do it myself yet, but I think it can be a good strategy.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:11 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Yeah. If I had guessed any word with a "D" in my first 4 guesses and knew it was in the word, I would not have guessed "K" or "P" in my last two guesses.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:23 am 
Way Beyond Godly
Way Beyond Godly

I got it on my second guess today! Woohoo! It was a fairly educated guess because it was the first word I could think of that had the two right-letter and one right-place letters in the positions I was pretty sure were correct. I'm sure there were other possible words, but I got lucky for once.

Last edited by Siniri on Sat Feb 05, 2022 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 1:35 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Congrats on the Win-in-Two! Today was a 3-guess day for me. As you did, my 3rd word was a fairly educated guess as well. Educated guesses are the way to go each time ;)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 3:13 am 
Way Beyond Godly
Way Beyond Godly

From a two to a five. I had to use a lot of process of elimination to determine the correct placement of letters. I started with 1-1-3 (right spot, wrong spot, totally wrong), then 1-2-2 twice in a row (which finally revealed the position of both wrong position letters), then 3-1-1 (which of course revealed the position of the new wrong position letter). At that point, it took me a bit of going through the alphabet to realize what the missing letter had to be.

I at least was able to optimize my guessing, but if I had taken longer to find correct letters, I could have run out of time today. I think it's going to be another stumper for a lot of people.

Edit: There's a similar 1-a-day free math puzzle called Nerdle. Similar concept with six guesses and colors indicating correct digit and placement, but you have to make accurate equations. Today was my first time trying it. It took a bit longer, but I got it in four guesses. https://nerdlegame.com/

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:45 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Another win in 4 day today (3 yesterday).

If you have not yet seen it, there is a way to download Wordle to your computer and/or phone so you can play it offline. The words are already there for the next ~5 years. I did this yesterday and it worked best using Chrome to do the download, and the downloaded file(s) worked just fine on my other browsers.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 5:13 am 
Way Beyond Godly
Way Beyond Godly

But I like doing it once a day. I don't want to waste time doing a gazillion of them.

I'm currently 24/24 for Wordle and 3/3 for Nerdle. The last two days of Nerdle went much faster than day 1. Then again, the equations ended up being addition rather than multiplication...

Edit: 25th win. Got it in 2 - for the second time now. Very lucky guess.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:37 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Got today's in 4. Not sure if finding 2 letter in the correct location on the first word is a good thing or not. I tend to keep those letters there for each subsequent guess instead of ruling out other letters.

Having the local copy works exactly the same way as the online version. You only get one word per day. The word is based on your computer's clock, so it will still match-up with the same word as the "official" version. I guess if you really wanted to manually change your computer clock, you would get a different word, but that seems like far too much work.

ETA:
Another "4" day for me today. First day I decided to deviate by using a "known wrong" word - The 3rd word guessed had a right letter, wrong location in the same wrong location :o

ETA:
Yet another "4" day. Could have had it in 3, but of the only 2 possible remaining words, I guessed the wrong word first.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:44 pm 
Way Beyond Godly
Way Beyond Godly

I got today's in four. By the second guess, I knew the correct location of the last two letters, and I had eliminated six other letters from being in the word. Because there were dozens of possible solutions, I deliberately guessed five new letters for guess three and learned the additional correct placement of the second letter, which made it an easy correct guess for round four.

Interestingly, had I followed my usual strategy, I would have gotten the wrong placement of the third letter in round three and reduced the possible vowels to a repeat or the remaining vowel, so I'm fairly certain I still would have gotten the word in four guesses anyway, though it probably would have taken me a lot longer timewise to get it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 11:08 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Strange parallel today. I also got today's in four and by the 2nd guess, I had the last 2 letters in the correct location. However, I did not guess a "new letter" word for the 3rd guess. But, my 3rd guess was a "weird" (real) word that gave me a correct letter in the wrong location, which led me to pretty much only one possible word that it could be.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2022 3:52 am 
Way Beyond Godly
Way Beyond Godly

Well, my third guess would have been cider, which would have told me the C was in the second or third spot, and the second vowel had to be either U or E. I can't think of any other words that could fit those criteria with what I eliminated.

Now I'm curious what your third guess was.

I just did the new Nerdle and got it on my second guess. Woot!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 5:47 am 
Administrator
Administrator

My 3rd guess was almost the same as yours - CODER. It gave me the same clue as your guess about the C, but my 2nd guess (BIKER) had an I in it and my 1st had both E and A (STARE) narrowing 4th word to have the U. I think there was actually only one possible correct word by the 4th guess.

Another 4 day today.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 5:03 am 
Way Beyond Godly
Way Beyond Godly

I just got today's in 3, but that was after having no right letters in my first guess and only the first one in the right place in my second guess. It felt really satisfying to figure out the word based on that single letter!

(To be fair, there weren't many - if any - other words it could be, but I got the correct one pretty quickly.)