Pink Poogle Toy Forum

The official community of Pink Poogle Toy
Main Site
NeoDex
It is currently Sat Jun 29, 2024 3:52 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 1:20 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

This is getting hard to keep up with...

DM was on fire!: Two problems. One, it needs more color. I think anime images always look best with color, and this one is so... gray. Second problem- it's a bit plain and has a lot of empty space. My suggestion would be to put some faded text in the background. Other than that, looking good, DM. :)

Apricus: Bea-ti-ful. The colors are awesome, and I love how the word 'Solitude' stands out so well. I also love the little cutout type thing with the image. And great job making the image larger! I find that one of the hardest things to do in set making, because you don't want anything to come out too pixelly.

Kyra: Mixed feelings. It looks a bit plain. However, I really like the blended images used. I don't really like the grids, though- I think they distract attention away from the image. I really like how all of the images sort of blend in to the background- I think those images were made for this wallpaper. :)

Tropikalgoddess18- Yet another graphic I've already rated in the ratings board. :P I'm not a fan of this wallpaper at all. The blending looks like it was carelessly done, and I can't read any of the text at all. I also hate the huge and distracting black border around the wallpaper. Not your best work at all. My suggestions: Try to make the text a bit more able to be read. And maybe work just a bit more on your blending.

Chii- I like all the room there is for desktop items. I really like how all the colors match, too. I see no problems at all- good job. :)

Paola- First off, that background is awesome. Really awesome. I love all the sparkles and the images in the background. Second off, awesome job with the blending. Third off, the text is superb and easy to read. And fourth off, no problems- my favorite wallpaper this round. :)

Neopets Addict- The image is gruesome, so this is going to be a quick rating. The colors all look fine, as do the fonts. The only problem I see is that there isn't much room for desktop items.

Dobbitron- I like, I like. Two problems, though- first off, desktop items are likely to cover the text. The other problem- The pixel text is a bit blocky. Just assume everything else is okay with me. ;)

Optimus- A bit on the plain side, but I like it. The shadow of Megaman looks nice. I like the text effects as well. And enough space for desktop items, too. :)

Koku- I liked your first wallpaper entry that you edited better, but this one is quite nice, too. I like the words you put into the background. Infact, the only thing I don't like is the color scheme- I think it's full of colors that don't compliment eachother- maybe make the pinkish purple reddish, just to balance out the colors. Other than that, nice job. :)

Neko- I like the background, but as vkceankraz said, I don't see where the girl fits in. I also suggest that you give her a bit of a blue tint or slighten the brightness of the background.

Hellyer- I cannot imagine you spent over fifteen minutes on this. I will admit I like the blur effect, but the rest seems effortless. The text is plain and boring. It does look pleasing to the eye, but I really don't think you worked very hard on it at all. My suggestions: just add a bit of... pizazz to it. Maybe colorizing?

Oh, and my votes go to Hellyer and Bluehawaii19.

the greatest love story never told.

Last edited by Bangel on Thu Sep 09, 2004 8:54 pm, edited 10 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 6:40 am 
PPT Trainee
PPT Trainee

Original Image: http://server5.theimagehosting.com/imag ... nrybig.jpg

Wallpaper: http://server5.theimagehosting.com/imag ... rywall.jpg

Just to clear up my entry.

Visit the PPT Better than You

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 6:40 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

*screech* Stupid unreliable school computer! I had better ratings all typed up, but right when I click submit, the thing freezes on me. And I have to go to class in about 30 minutes. So you guys get abbreviated ratings.

DM was on fire!: Enough with the colorizing, it's rather boring. The tip of her cape is cut off, and it's so small you could clone it in. Start with better resolution images, at least 900px tall for an 800x600 wall. The halftone dots on the picture to the right look like you started with a grainy image. The background is too plain. 6/10
Apricus: Nice job upscaling such a small image. The red is all very nice. The image blends nicely into the background, and the shape of it is great. "Solitude" is a little bit oversized. 9/10
Kyra: Nice color scheme. You could have reconstructed the bit of her hair, and cut off at the ruffle of the skirt to avoid feathering the edge on the picture of the three girls. The grid overlay is really distracting. 8/10
bluehawaii19: The best montages fully extract their images, or at least feather them off very close to the edge, then make a new background. Frodo and Pippin are overexposed, Merry and Sam are underexposed, their placement makes it very obvious that this is a composite. Can't read any of the text. 6/10
Chii: Nice techno look. All the arrows are confusing. 9/10
paola: Excellent. Beautiful background image, wonderful job compositing the three pictures. 10/10
Neopets Addict: Nice haunted theme. Colors and effects go perfectly together. Points off because not many people would actually use such a freaky wall. 9/10
Dobbitron: Sloppy image extraction, white bits left in the head and tail. Flames or cinders would match better than molten lava. Great job with the text. 9/10
Optimus: Great job adding contrast with the opposing diagonal scanlines. GIF compression looks bad on his face, it should be adjusted. 9/10
Koku: Nice color overlay, blends well without being a gradient. Good choice of font on the text. Pixel text overlay adds interest without being distracting. Lines on original became too harsh with all the intense colors. 8/10
Neko: Beautiful background, I like all the ambient light effects. The picture has a white halo around it that I don't really like. Good choice of font on the main text. 9/10
hellyer: This is what people call a cropped wall. Take a picture, crop it to wallpaper size, add minimal effects. The blurred background was done pretty sloppily, it spills over into the player. The script text looks very out of place. 4/10

This round I vote out Hellyer and DM.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 9:44 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

Dawn2 wrote:
Tropikalgoddess18- Yet another graphic I've already rated in the ratings board. :P I'm not a fan of this wallpaper at all. The blending looks like it was carelessly done, and I can't read any of the text at all. I also hate the huge and distracting black border around the wallpaper. Not your best work at all.

Hold it.

You rated this wallpaper somewhere other than this contest?

Gone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 9:46 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Flame wrote:
Hold it.

Several months ago, bluehawaii19 asked for ratings on the original montage she used as a source for this wall.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 10:12 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

Marissa wrote:
Flame wrote:
Hold it.

Several months ago, bluehawaii19 asked for ratings on the original montage she used as a source for this wall.

Okay. :)

La de da de da....And here are the ratings.

DM - You took the image, erased some of the flower petals, and stuck a faded version and slightly smaller version, in greyscale, on a rather boring background. Blunt, but I'm sorry. This background is just completely dull.

Apricus - I like how you colorized it to a more vibrant pink color. The text fits very well, and I like how most of the details in this is over to the right side of the wallpaper. The star on the left adds just enough of a design, and also allows space for desktop items to be added without interupting the image.

Kyra - I like the cloud effect in the background. You've also managed to make everything flow very well into the pink cloud background. The grid overtop of everything is also a nice effect, and isn't too overpowering.

bluehawaii19 - It's pretty. But seeing as it's a wallpaper, where would you put desktop items? Okay. You've done a nice job making everything blend, except where the bottom of Sam's image and the top of Pippin's meet. The text that says their names is a little too hard to read. Maybe make it stand out a little more. There's also text running through the middle of the wallapaper I think, but I can't tell what it is...

Feather aka the person who loves Knives... *cough* - It's definitely interesting. I love all the designs, and the text is definitely fitting. It's also a tab bit overwhelming, but it's not too bad. I like how you used various shadow of blue and kept a rather large area using the same pattern(brush). That makes it less... confusing.

paola - Wow...Beautiful. Excellent job cutting out the images. I like how you have the large version of them with two smaller versions in the background. The text looks really good against the black starry background...I really don't have any problems with this.

Neopets Addice - This thing grosses me out...Ugh. Anyway. Nicely done, not much to it, but there doesn't need to be. I really couldn't stand to look at it for long though. The 'blood' red background goes well.

Dobbitron - Graphics that look like fire are always difficult to make right. It looks a little off, but not bad. I love the main text with the Charmander, but it almost doesn't match the background because of the colors and how 'cartoony' it is. For the subtext, you could probably have made it a little bigger.

Optimus - It's very simple. I like how you faded megaman into the background, and the reflection in the text. Overall the wallpaper is a tad plain, but it's not bad.

Koku - I like the vibrant colors. I think the text should'vev maybe been red...Eh. The only problem is that it'd be hard to place the icons, except maybe in the bottom right corner.

Neko - Okay, I love the bright blue background...The text and design goes beautifully. Problem is that they really don't maych the girll. The white outline around the girl looks a little odd in someplaces...But again, my problem is with things not matching.

Hellyer - Doesn't looks like you did much. Blurred the background a bit more maybe, and added the text. There also seems to be some sort of blurry motion type effect around the guy to make it look like he's moving. But still, not much I see that you've done. The wallpaper is nothing special or interesting to look at.

My votes go to DM and Hellyer.

Gone.

Last edited by Flame on Thu Sep 09, 2004 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 11:30 pm 
PPT Student
PPT Student

Flame wrote:

bluehawaii19 - It's pretty. But seeing as it's a wallpaper, where would you put desktop items? Okay. You've done a nice job making everything blend, except where the bottom of Sam's image and the top of Pippin's meet. The text that says their names is a little too hard to read. Maybe make it stand out a little more. There's also text running through the middle of the wallapaper I think, but I can't tell what it is...

The text running through the blend says "The Hobbits of the Shire."

------------------

Thanks to the wonderful Neko for the amazing set.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 6:30 pm 
Way Beyond Godly
Way Beyond Godly

The reason that her cape is cut off is the way the image is. As for the greyscale thing, I thought it looks better. Plus it was hard getting it under 100k so it'd fit on my floppy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 7:52 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

DM was on fire! wrote:
Plus it was hard getting it under 100k so it'd fit on my floppy.
Doesn't a floppy hold 1.38 MB or something like that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 7:55 pm 
Way Beyond Godly
Way Beyond Godly

vkceankraz wrote:
DM was on fire! wrote:
Plus it was hard getting it under 100k so it'd fit on my floppy.
Doesn't a floppy hold 1.38 MB or something like that?

Yeah, but I had a different floppy that had been messed up by Linx and it only had 310k left on it. And I had a lot of stuff that day. Like 7 things or set and it was about 110k in all. I kinda thought it looks good in greyscale anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 9:13 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

DM was on fire! wrote:
The reason that her cape is cut off is the way the image is. As for the greyscale thing, I thought it looks better. Plus it was hard getting it under 100k so it'd fit on my floppy.
I know many people who make really stunning walls with cut-off/incomplete pictures. They reconstruct the missing parts. The tip of a cape is two fairly straight lines, not hard to do. I'll also note that the right side of the picture is complete, you could have flipped it vertically if completing that small bit was too hard for you. And of course, the final option is to find another picture that has no cut off parts.
Also, is it very hard to get a new floppy disk?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 9:17 pm 
Way Beyond Godly
Way Beyond Godly

Marissa wrote:
DM was on fire! wrote:
I know many people who make really stunning walls with cut-off/incomplete pictures. They reconstruct the missing parts. The tip of a cape is two fairly straight lines, not hard to do. I'll also note that the right side of the picture is complete, you could have flipped it vertically if completing that small bit was too hard for you. And of course, the final option is to find another picture that has no cut off parts.
Also, is it very hard to get a new floppy disk?

My dad would most likely go crazy with me. I've destroyed enough floppy disks in my time because of oversized pictures. I only have one other good one and it was packed w/ journal...icons. OH CRUD! That didn't remind me of something. I just realized that I didn't post all my journal icons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 9:35 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

DM was on fire! wrote:
My dad would most likely go crazy with me. I've destroyed enough floppy disks in my time because of oversized pictures. I only have one other good one and it was packed w/ journal...icons. OH CRUD! That didn't remind me of something. I just realized that I didn't post all my journal icons.

I understand that your dad would spaz; my dad was the same way at first. However, isn't it possible to put your stuff on the desktop of some computer? You can also delete stuff on floppies... it doesn't destroy them when you put too many things on them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 11:37 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

I've never destroyed a floppy by 'putting too much data on them'. Simply because the floppy doesn't allow you to save a file to it if the disk has no more room. I've never heard of a floppy being destroyed how yours were.
So how you've destroyed floppy disks, I have no idea. And even so, couldn't you just make the graphic and upload it directly to your server, then delete it off your computer? If you're transferring data from one computer to another, you should at least still be able to save it to one computer anyway.
Either way, the fact still remains that your wallpaper does not look good in greyscale. And whether or not it is due to issues with floppy disks doesn't really matter. ;)

Gone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 1:54 am 
PPT God
PPT God

Dawn2 wrote:
NOTE: I am assuming that most desktops have icons on the left side of the screen. All the computers I've seen (and I've seen quite a few) have icons on the left side. My ratings reflect on that.

Macs have their icons on the right side, if I'm not mistaken. Other people may prefer to have their icons wherever, seeing as they are moveable. In my opinion, as long as the artist leaves some space for icons (anywhere), then their wallpaper is fine.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next