Have you ever wandered over to the Neopian Times and checked out those nifty comic strips? Ever wonder why some of the comics have REALLY bad drawings, but still get in? Ever wondered why there are no black-and-white comics published? Or why, lots of times, the comics will come in a series? All these answers and more can be found in the tips that follow.
1) If you want to get that comic of yours into the Neopian Times, actually spend TIME on it! Trust me, the Neopets Team has been around, and they can tell if you threw the comic strip together in a few minutes, or if you really took the time to do a good job.
2) Artistic ability isn’t a worry, so don’t worry about it! The Neopets Team is looking for a funny, clever comic strip. As in, they want it for the content, not the color. But still, try your best to make sure they can tell which blob is a Blumaroo and which blob is a Usul.
3) Color it! You may have noticed that there are pretty much never any black-and-white comics in the Times. This is because of what I said earlier. They want something that really looks like you put some time and effort into it. It’s best if you color the comic strip on the computer, with a special computer program, but crayons or markers will work just fine. Just, PLEASE, remember to color INSIDE the lines.
4) Get experience! Go ahead and read the comic strips in your local newspaper. If one makes you laugh, try to think why it made you laugh and incorporate that into your comic.
5) So the “getting inspiration from your local newspaper” thing isn’t working for you? Take your comics from real Neopian experiences. One of my favorite comics I’ve ever read from the Neopian Times, was all about this person’s real experiences in Neopia, and it was a big hit!
6.) Try to make fun of things in Neopia that are just DIEING to be made fun of! For example: Pet rocks. Okay, that’s a real easy one. Make a funny comic strip about something like that.
7.) Make fun of the Neopets team in a NICE way. Lots of times when there are jokes about Adam (the creator of Neopets) being all “MUA HA HA HA HA” and Donna pointing and laughing, it gets through.
8.) Make a series. Although random comics with no concrete characters also get through, it’s easier if you make a series. Make characters, each their own individual, and strut your stuff!
So I hope these tips will help you on your journey to getting that shiny, new trophy in your user lookup! – lotr_gurlz7