I know that if you have never been scammed it seems impossible that it could happen to you, but it can. I was never very careful about keeping my password secret until my account was finally stolen. Even if it seem unlikely that you will be scammed I suggest that you follow these tips:
1) NEVER tell your password to anyone, even if they say they will give you items, np, etc. (I know everyone always says this but its really important)
2) If you suspect anyone of being a scammer report them immediately
3) Change your password often (at least once a month) and don’t make it something obvious like the month, your screen name, or your name. It is best to have a password that contains both letters and numbers.
4) Don’t enter your password on a non neopets site, if the URL doesn’t say neopets.com its not neopets. Sometimes sites are disguised to look like login pages so be careful.
5) If someone tells you to change your email in my prefs, don’t do it because once you do they can get your password emailed to them.
6) If a price in a shop looks to good to be true, it probably is a scam (not definitely, but probably).
7) If someone offers to share their account with you if you share with them say no and report them.
8) When you go on vacation send your pet(s) to the lodge, don’t hire a neositter, they may steal your account
That’s pretty much all for now. If you follow these tips you will be well protected in Neopia. Always remember that nobody knows all of the tricks a scammer can use so be on the lookout and happy neopetting – Michelle Vondor