Pink Poogle Toy Forum

The official community of Pink Poogle Toy
Main Site
NeoDex
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:42 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: any one like vista?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:52 pm 
PPT Student
PPT Student

the lap top im going too get for my birth day has it so i want too know...... is it any good? i hate too have too buy xp after spending $600 on a lap top. it'll leave me broke(heck im just a kid) and i would like too know if its any good or not.

oh and by the way, anyother good tops under $600 you recomend is great! but NO macs. i still dont know about them.

Thank you Byakuya San for the set!

Post subject: Re: any one like vista?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:50 pm 
PPT Student
PPT Student

I am using Vista on my Desktop right now. It is ok and is good. But I find it is incompatible with a lot of games and it makes all the neopets games run TOOOOO fast. grrrr. But all in all i am getting used to it.

Bring KISS to my Hometown

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:23 am 
PPT Student
PPT Student

StuMan wrote:
I am using Vista on my Desktop right now. It is ok and is good. But I find it is incompatible with a lot of games and it makes all the neopets games run TOOOOO fast. grrrr. But all in all i am getting used to it.

hhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmm.................. so its TOO good for some stuff...... thats werid.makes me wonder. o_O

Thank you Byakuya San for the set!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:05 am 

It took awhile but I like it at first I really wanted to go back to xp but I talked to someone who tried and he convinced me that I would have a problem finding driver he told me to brush up on my Chinese and since Chinese totally loses me I just stuck with it for awhile and became quite fond of it now I have an older pc with xp on it and I totally miss vista give it some time thats really your best bet

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:48 pm 
PPT Toddler
PPT Toddler

Well, I used to have an XP, and find that it was much faster, but that might be due to the fact that that one had more RAM that my current Vista (512 MB vs. 1 GB). I generally find Vista annoying, though. I mean for example, every time I need to call the task manager, I do this with Win+R (equivalent to Start->Execute) because I simply don't want an additional screen popping up where it asks me whether I want to activate the task manager or do something else.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:59 am 

If given a choice, I'll still go back to XP (in fact, I just did - Reinstalling XP + Linux into a new harddisk.)

Not truely against Vista now though... When it first came out, it was really a nightmare. I've since accepted it. Looking forward to the upcoming Windows 7 (not yet named) estimated end of next year.

If you're going for Vista, DO NOT save on the RAM! Try to go for 2Gb RAM. Otherwise, minimum 1Gb RAM for Vista Home, 2Gb RAM for others. If you're using 1Gb RAM on Vista Premium and above, turn off composite effects (aka. The "Aero" effects).

=SwordFire=
The Silent One
Sysop of Neodex

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:31 am 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

SwordFire wrote:
If given a choice, I'll still go back to XP (in fact, I just did - Reinstalling XP + Linux into a new harddisk.)

Not truely against Vista now though... When it first came out, it was really a nightmare. I've since accepted it. Looking forward to the upcoming Windows 7 (not yet named) estimated end of next year.

If you're going for Vista, DO NOT save on the RAM! Try to go for 2Gb RAM. Otherwise, minimum 1Gb RAM for Vista Home, 2Gb RAM for others. If you're using 1Gb RAM on Vista Premium and above, turn off composite effects (aka. The "Aero" effects).

I agree with you about the ram, but turning off the "Aero" effects is actually counter-productive. The Aero interfaces doesn't use your CPU, but instead your GPU (which is idle for the most part unless you're playing graphic intensive 3-D games or watching HD videos, by which point you're fullscreen anyways so the Aero effect is turned off). The Aero interface is actually a vastly superior method to render graphics, and isn't just a pretty face. It increases stability within the operating system if you have it turned on, so unless you don't have a dedicated graphics chip (Which you should if you're paying for a decent machine, and if you're not make sure you get a machine with one [This means getting like a Nvidia chipset, instead of say something like Intel Integrated Graphics Chip]).

However, you could always wait for Windows 7, coming out in early 2010 but it's already so polished that it could come out late, or even mid 2009. Windows 7 builds upon the Vista framework but everything is more refined, early responses have been extremely positive.

FYI there are no mac laptops for under $600, so even if you wanted one... :P Dell and HP have some great personal laptops that are cheap though. Also, if you're using your laptop for just really basic purposes, surfing, email, word processing, etc. You should consider getting a Netbook. They're ultraportable devices that are small and cheap, but are very neat.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:36 pm 

Indeed the aero effect does not use up CPU, but unfortunately, the composite effect uses up RAM (and it controls the aero effect). And disabling it does not really make it more unstable - I've disable it for a user just because he keeps complaining about the speed of his laptop (a 1Gb RAM, with around 40% of the virtual memory used up everyday. I know he is one serious multi-tasker...). Disabling it does help a little, but still a problem.

After a few days, I increased his RAM to 2Gb. But till today, I still forgot to turn on the composite effect :P I guess he forgot about it too - at least he's not complaining... ;)

I'll be looking forward to Windows 7 also.

=SwordFire=
The Silent One
Sysop of Neodex

Last edited by SwordFire on Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:48 pm 
Way Beyond Godly
Way Beyond Godly

Location: New Zealand Weapon: HaaH Sword Species: Human Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
WIS, why do you so often sound like you're being paid by Microsoft?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:33 am 
PPT God
PPT God

Christopher wrote:
WIS, why do you so often sound like you're being paid by Microsoft?

Because he is. :P

Set by the amazing Kitten Medli.
Wanna see some of my writing? Click here!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:00 am 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

Excuse me while I go play games on my free Xbox 360 or listen to music on my free Zune or use my free Windows Mobile smartphone or process some words on my free Office Suite or make graphics on my free tablet PC or be amazed by the WorldWide Telescope. Okay, that last one's free for everyone.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:50 am 
PPT God
PPT God

WIS wrote:
Excuse me while I go play games on my free Xbox 360 or listen to music on my free Zune or use my free Windows Mobile smartphone or process some words on my free Office Suite or make graphics on my free tablet PC or be amazed by the WorldWide Telescope. Okay, that last one's free for everyone.

If you're not joking, you need to let someone in on this. (No, not Uncle Fred)

Meh, it seems like the cool thing these days to hate Vista these days. I've tried it. Don't really care one way or the other about it.

(Steal the rhythm while you can.)

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]