Pink Poogle Toy Forum

The official community of Pink Poogle Toy
Main Site
NeoDex
It is currently Fri Jun 28, 2024 3:57 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Return of Dr Sloth [Split 5]
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:36 am 
PPT God
PPT God

Where is this Resistance HQ everyone's talking about?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:40 am 
PPT Toddler
PPT Toddler

Quote:
Yes, you'd still need to know how to do the modular arithmetic and what symbols equal what numbers. But, all that appears to be known. (Someone here -- I can't recall who -- posted a link to the 7-symbol codes on this petpage here: http://www.neopets.com/~RudolfRocker

Great! Now who can explain what I'm supposed to do with it? :P

Seriously, I asked on the Neoboards and a bunch of math geeks spouted off some stuff so fast I lost it completely. I'll do the work myself- just tell me how!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:41 am 
PPT God
PPT God

Location: I don't know, but there'd better be chocolate. [art by Fiddelysquat]
pinkflamingonewsgirl wrote:

In the Maintenance Tunnels, where you clicked before. The page with the doors should have a link to "hq.phtml," which is the location of the decoding email step we're working on.

"Oh, better far to live and die/Under the brave black flag I fly/Than play a sanctimonious part/With a pirate head and a pirate heart."

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:44 am 
PPT Trainee
PPT Trainee

Wow this is very much like the temple mapping. I've had no luck matching up my codes to the guides. Not only that, I've noticed that if one puzzle is X + Y = Z, X + Y = something else in another puzzle - so, I have to make a new chart each time.

What has worked for me, albeit time-consuming, is just taking the first symbol in the KEY, finding all the formulas for it, seeing which formulas make the first symbol of the TARGET and trying those out.

Something else I noticed is that (for the 2nd modifier part anyway) there are always 5 formulas (including different ordering) that will make a single Target symbol.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:46 am 
PPT Toddler
PPT Toddler

schlough wrote:
Quote:
Yes, you'd still need to know how to do the modular arithmetic and what symbols equal what numbers. But, all that appears to be known. (Someone here -- I can't recall who -- posted a link to the 7-symbol codes on this petpage here: http://www.neopets.com/~RudolfRocker

Great! Now who can explain what I'm supposed to do with it? :P

Seriously, I asked on the Neoboards and a bunch of math geeks spouted off some stuff so fast I lost it completely. I'll do the work myself- just tell me how!

Ok, I'll try to answer you, but I did a trial and error method so...

Ok Say your key is:
v

and your target is

x

you have three mods so what you have is

v+a+b+c = x

or 1 + a+b+c = 4

re-arranging you get:

a+b+c = 3

So...to solve using that key you would need:
Mod 1 = 1
Mod 2 = 1
Mod 3 = 1

and according to the legend from that page each would have to be a 'v'
Therefore...
Key = v
Mod 1= v
Mod 2 = v
Mod 3 = v
Result SHOULD be x
Target = x

Does that help at all?

Last edited by laurenb on Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:48 am 
PPT God
PPT God

Moongewl wrote:
pinkflamingonewsgirl wrote:

In the Maintenance Tunnels, where you clicked before. The page with the doors should have a link to "hq.phtml," which is the location of the decoding email step we're working on.

I see. Thanks :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:50 am 
Way Beyond Godly
Way Beyond Godly

bgryph wrote:
But I think there are still fewer combinations if you start with all the available codes and combining them then trying to find all the possible combinations of three codes that could lead from source to target and trying to figure out which of the possible codes are actually available.

Mind you, for all I know TNT deems writing your own code to be a cheat, too, although if so I think that's absurd. I can see how they might see using a code someone else wrote that way -- since then you're not doing the work yourself -- but writing your own code is just using a tool to solve the problem yourself. Like I said, they may as well outlaw calculators (the normal kind) and pencil and paper next.

Here's what TNT now has posted:
Quote:
Please note that using any kind of external helper program or cheat program to solve this puzzle is against the rules and will likely get you FROZEN! So do the right thing and solve the puzzle yourself!

I would think that what you're describing would count as an "external helper program." But I also think it qualifies as "solving the puzzle yourself." I personally don't think it's cheating, but apparently TNT does, so do it at your own risk (and don't share it with anyone!). I made something similar for myself for the Shapeshifter puzzles; I still had to do a lot of work, but it made trying possibilities a bit faster than the old pen and paper route.

Blue graffitied on my signature... But it made me laugh, so it's all good!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:57 am 
PPT God
PPT God

Location: Browsing the web, playing on random pet sites, talking to my friends, amusing myself...
I'm officially confused...

I just found out that we have something to do plot wise, and went through the steps to start translating mail...but I seem to already have 3-mod decoding going on. O.o Correct me if I am wrong, shouldn't I only have one modifier box at this point?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:58 am 
PPT Toddler
PPT Toddler

..yeah I can see me not going any farther in this plot.

I don't understand any of the math used in this, and I've been trying random combos for the past hour and a half to no avail. Plus the guides people have posted everywhere are no help to me because I don't understand what they all mean. ><

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:59 am 
Way Beyond Godly
Way Beyond Godly

digitel_anime_fan_20 wrote:

I just found out that we have something to do plot wise, and went through the steps to start translating mail...but I seem to already have 3-mod decoding going on. O.o Correct me if I am wrong, shouldn't I only have one modifier box at this point?

No, the puzzles are in random order. So click through them until you find the 5 1-mods, then do the same for the 5 2-mods. Then do some of the 3-mods without the extra symbol.

Blue graffitied on my signature... But it made me laugh, so it's all good!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:01 am 
PPT Toddler
PPT Toddler

Quote:
Does that help at all?

Ahhh! Extremely Basic Algebra. Well, I never was a math whiz. Unfortunately, I now see that that system is really not any more useful than making a chart of all the possibilities with symbols, just makes it a little clearer to see. Sigh. Thanks though! :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:07 am 
PPT God
PPT God

digitel_anime_fan_20 wrote:

Actually, all puzzles are up for you from the start, but only the 1-mods are solvable. What you need to do is go through the list until you find the 3 1-mod puzzles that you start out with.

Machiito wrote:

I don't understand any of the math used in this, and I've been trying random combos for the past hour and a half to no avail. Plus the guides people have posted everywhere are no help to me because I don't understand what they all mean. ><

Here's what I did. (For the easiest 3-mod puzzles, using the charmander page.) First, find the last symbol of both your key, and the target. (Let's say the key is B, and the target is C.) Then, go to the charmander page, and scroll down until you find the section that has your key letter. Scroll down through that section until you find a series of letters that starts with your key letter, and ends with your target letter. (B and C, in this example.) Then you insert three codes, each ending with a letter used on the charmander page. (In this case, a code ending with C, a second code ending with C, and a code ending with P.) Try all possible combinations of the codes that end in those 3 letters. If that doesn't work, go back to the charmander page and search for the next set. (And keep track of the combos you try. Many of the combos are repeated on the help page, just in different orders. Since the order the codes are entered doesn't make a difference, you can skip any repeated codes to save some time.) Hope that helps. :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:13 am 
PPT God
PPT God

Location: Browsing the web, playing on random pet sites, talking to my friends, amusing myself...
Machiito wrote:

Oh, I found them! Thanks! :D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:13 am 
PPT Toddler
PPT Toddler

That's what I'm doing it's just painfully long still. Except I'm using the first key.

Thanks DM!
By the way, I'm from iDB.

Last edited by thetrueoogabooga on Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:14 am 
PPT Toddler
PPT Toddler

amarise wrote:
Machiito wrote:

Here's what I did. (For the easiest 3-mod puzzles, using the charmander page.) First, find the last symbol of both your key, and the target. (Let's say the key is B, and the target is C.) Then, go to the charmander page, and scroll down until you find the section that has your key letter. Scroll down through that section until you find a series of letters that starts with your key letter, and ends with your target letter. (B and C, in this example.) Then you insert three codes, each ending with a letter used on the charmander page. (In this case, a code ending with C, a second code ending with C, and a code ending with P.) Try all possible combinations of the codes that end in those 3 letters. If that doesn't work, go back to the charmander page and search for the next set. (And keep track of the combos you try. Many of the combos are repeated on the help page, just in different orders. Since the order the codes are entered doesn't make a difference, you can skip any repeated codes to save some time.) Hope that helps. :)

Does that help at all with the two mod ones as well? Because those are what I'm stuck on. ><;

EDIT: Yeah..I'm still not understanding. jedknd I feel like I want to cry. TNT knows this is a site for all ages, why would they make puzzles that are too hard for people who haven't even gotten to algebra yet? ><

Last edited by Machiito on Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next