Pink Poogle Toy Forum

The official community of Pink Poogle Toy
Main Site
NeoDex
It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 4:40 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Future Plot Speculation (Split 1)
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:19 am 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

Jacob wrote:
pinkflamingonewsgirl wrote:
Indeed...I need a plot...it's been so long...dailies are the only thing I have to do right now...please bring a plot, TNT.
Looks like we have a gaming plot for this week. Another Gaming Challenge. I take it this will be a yearly thing then? Instead of working on original plots, they can just keep bring back AAA? Not that it's bad, really. It makes the gaming aspect of the site more important, and allows users to discover what said games have to offer.

The Gaming Challenge is not a plot. Don't get tied down to one way of thinking.

This is a Site Event just like the Altador Cup.

A plot has been mentioned in the Neo Magazine, so hopefully we can expect a plot not long after this challenge finishes.

TNT consists of many people and I am sure each are working on different projects - just because we get AAA this week, does not mean TNT have not been working on the plot.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 5:30 am 
PPT God
PPT God

Yeah...I have no doubt that this is not the plot...what would be the point in making a hype over the Master's Game Challenge? I am happy that we get trophies this time, though. AND we have something different to do for a while.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:47 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

Daze wrote:
Jacob wrote:
pinkflamingonewsgirl wrote:
Indeed...I need a plot...it's been so long...dailies are the only thing I have to do right now...please bring a plot, TNT.
Looks like we have a gaming plot for this week. Another Gaming Challenge. I take it this will be a yearly thing then? Instead of working on original plots, they can just keep bring back AAA? Not that it's bad, really. It makes the gaming aspect of the site more important, and allows users to discover what said games have to offer.

The Gaming Challenge is not a plot. Don't get tied down to one way of thinking.

This is a Site Event just like the Altador Cup.

A plot has been mentioned in the Neo Magazine, so hopefully we can expect a plot not long after this challenge finishes.

TNT consists of many people and I am sure each are working on different projects - just because we get AAA this week, does not mean TNT have not been working on the plot.
If the Gaming Challenge is a Site Event, then The Battle for Meridell is a site event...just look at the trophies section. It's the same area where you are calling the Gaming Challenge a Site Event. And the Altador Cup is a plot. A story is told, and it's something out of the norm of daily play, rewarding in prizes for user participation. That's what I believe a "plot" entails.

And yes, this probably isn't the plot. I don't think TNT would create hype for something only a week long.

======================================

:P Help support the NeoDex!!! :P

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:18 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

Location: I don't know, but there'd better be chocolate. [art by Fiddelysquat]
I think the easiest way to distinguish between the two is to declare that modern plots must have comics and follow a story, while site events are limited-time challenges in which users can take part. So most plots are also site events, but not all site events are plots. (I also still think that the Altador "plot" was neither a plot nor a site event, because it does not fit with either of these groups, but that's a personal quirk.)

"Oh, better far to live and die/Under the brave black flag I fly/Than play a sanctimonious part/With a pirate head and a pirate heart."

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:42 am 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

Quote:
If the Gaming Challenge is a Site Event, then The Battle for Meridell is a site event...just look at the trophies section. It's the same area where you are calling the Gaming Challenge a Site Event. And the Altador Cup is a plot. A story is told, and it's something out of the norm of daily play, rewarding in prizes for user participation. That's what I believe a "plot" entails.

And yes, this probably isn't the plot. I don't think TNT would create hype for something only a week long.

We have had 3 previous AAA Game Challenges, but they did not give out trophies, and I have not seen any 'hype' surrounding the challenges - TNT stated once in the news that the challenge had started.

Yes, all plots are Site Events - I made the statement that the Games challenge is a site event like the Altador CUP (which is not a plot). I am talking about the soccer/lacrosse type game that we have had 2 years in a row, NOT the Altador Plot, which we all know is a plot.

Plots are completely different to just playing games - and as you stated, a story is told in a plot - there is no story here, just a challenge to finish all 35 game challenges in a week.

A plot is either a War (we have a distinct enemy or side to choose) or a Puzzle plot (tasks/puzzles to solve to move on to next step) or even a combination of both. In recent years, plots have included a comic which gives us the backstory and sometimes a clue for the plot.

A plot involves a story and an interactive element to solve - AAA is a Games Challenge, nothing more.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:47 pm 
PPT Student
PPT Student

I WANT A MAJOR PLOT! :x :x :x :x

I'm starting to get mad at TNT for not bringing any major plots, also it's been year since we had a war. I want a good war.

Oh crap! I just remembered that I left my car keys in the OTHER dimension...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:23 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

Karnatu wrote:

I'm starting to get mad at TNT for not bringing any major plots, also it's been year since we had a war. I want a good war.

I think everyone agrees with you. But hopefully a new one will float our way soon.

Set by Byakuya'<3

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:25 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

euphoniumgirl_71 wrote:
Karnatu wrote:

I think everyone agrees with you. But hopefully a new one will float our way soon.

Unfortunately, they're probably extremely busy with customization.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:35 am 
PPT God
PPT God

Moongewl wrote:
I think the easiest way to distinguish between the two is to declare that modern plots must have comics and follow a story, while site events are limited-time challenges in which users can take part. So most plots are also site events, but not all site events are plots. (I also still think that the Altador "plot" was neither a plot nor a site event, because it does not fit with either of these groups, but that's a personal quirk.)
How plots are presented now versus in the past is no difference. Most plots of the past had animations, or just images, or no images as all (Tyrannian Invasion anyone?). All the same, a story is told, along with an interactive and limited time interaction. In this way, Defenders of Neopia could be considered a long run out plot as well (told in parts).
Daze wrote:
Quote:

We have had 3 previous AAA Game Challenges, but they did not give out trophies, and I have not seen any 'hype' surrounding the challenges - TNT stated once in the news that the challenge had started.

Yes, all plots are Site Events - I made the statement that the Games challenge is a site event like the Altador CUP (which is not a plot). I am talking about the soccer/lacrosse type game that we have had 2 years in a row, NOT the Altador Plot, which we all know is a plot.

Plots are completely different to just playing games - and as you stated, a story is told in a plot - there is no story here, just a challenge to finish all 35 game challenges in a week.

A plot is either a War (we have a distinct enemy or side to choose) or a Puzzle plot (tasks/puzzles to solve to move on to next step) or even a combination of both. In recent years, plots have included a comic which gives us the backstory and sometimes a clue for the plot.

A plot involves a story and an interactive element to solve - AAA is a Games Challenge, nothing more.
while I'm still disagreeable, I think it's viable enough to consider. Will be linking to this thread in the "plot" article of the NeoDex (which is a little sloppy at this point...been left behind, as you an say).

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:35 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

Jacob wrote:
How plots are presented now versus in the past is no difference. Most plots of the past had animations, or just images, or no images as all (Tyrannian Invasion anyone?). All the same, a story is told, along with an interactive and limited time interaction. In this way, Defenders of Neopia could be considered a long run out plot as well (told in parts).

And that's why I disagree. DoN doesn't FEEL like a plot to me--the community surrounding feels different from the sort of community that sprung up around, for instance, the Tale of Woe. Besides, by your definition, couldn't the Neoquest games be lumped in under plots? After all, neither of them are closed(or will be any time soon), and Neoquest I and II have far more storyline and interaction than DoN.
Note that I identified "modern plots" as having comics, because that seems to be the form they've settled on for plots. Past plots differed in this respect, but in the past few years the site events that I would call plots have been overwhelmingly in comic format. Neopets has abandoned the other formats when it comes to plots. That might be subject to change in the future, but for now I include it as an easy way to tell whether or not it's a plot.

"Oh, better far to live and die/Under the brave black flag I fly/Than play a sanctimonious part/With a pirate head and a pirate heart."

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:01 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

Moongewl wrote:
Jacob wrote:

And that's why I disagree. DoN doesn't FEEL like a plot to me--the community surrounding feels different from the sort of community that sprung up around, for instance, the Tale of Woe. Besides, by your definition, couldn't the Neoquest games be lumped in under plots? After all, neither of them are closed(or will be any time soon), and Neoquest I and II have far more storyline and interaction than DoN.
Note that I identified "modern plots" as having comics, because that seems to be the form they've settled on for plots. Past plots differed in this respect, but in the past few years the site events that I would call plots have been overwhelmingly in comic format. Neopets has abandoned the other formats when it comes to plots. That might be subject to change in the future, but for now I include it as an easy way to tell whether or not it's a plot.
Funny you should mention the NeoQuest games. They are considered plots to me. :P A story takes place, with characters real and imaginary (depending if it's I or II, and that's speculation), and prizes are given.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:27 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

Jacob wrote:
Funny you should mention the NeoQuest games. They are considered plots to me. :P A story takes place, with characters real and imaginary (depending if it's I or II, and that's speculation), and prizes are given.

...But they're quite obviously games. They're even categorized as games; they're RPGs. Plots are...not games.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:19 pm 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

Jacob wrote:
while I'm still disagreeable, I think it's viable enough to consider. Will be linking to this thread in the "plot" article of the NeoDex (which is a little sloppy at this point...been left behind, as you an say).

On the Neodex site it says:

Quote:
Note: Some of the plots on the list are not technically plots. They are video games, on-site games, and one-time events made by Neopets.

Game challenges and the Altador Cup are Site Events.

A plot (which can be thought along the lines of a movie or book plot) has a structure and form.

This is taken from the wiki, because it is more precise than me:

Quote:
Structure
Plot has structure at several levels and forms.

Cause and effect
At the smallest level, plot consists of a stimulus and response, also referred to as action and reaction, or cause and effect. (Bickham 1993, pp. 12-22)

Scene and sequel
At midlevel, plot is structured in scenes and sequels, with scenes providing drama and sequels providing an aftermath. (Bickham 1993, pp. 23-62)

Beginning, middle, and end
The larger structure of plot is often divided into three parts: beginning, middle, and ending.

Story arc
Plot is often schematically represented as an arc reflecting the rising action described in the following phases:

Initial situation – the beginning. It is the first incident that makes the story move.
Conflict or Problem – goal which the main character of the story has to achieve.
Complication or Rising action – obstacles which the main character has to overcome.
Climax – highest point of interest of the story.
Dénouement or Resolution – what happens to the character after overcoming all obstacles and reaching his goal, or failing to achieve the desired result and not reaching his goal.
Conclusion – the end result

You can put that to any plot and see how the comic leads us along the Story Arc, while we work through the steps from the Initial Situation to the Conclusion.

That is why we call them plots - they are interactive stories.

The games challenge had no Story Arc - we were told what to do and that we would be rewarded.

But after all that, it is up to you if you want to call a game a plot, most guides I have seen list the Altador Cup and Challenges as plots only because most people don't really understand how to define a plot.

Just as an after thought:

On our lookups, TNT have specifically made 3 sections for trophies:

- Site Event Trophies -
listed under this is plots, Games Challenge and Altador Cup 1 and 2.

If everything we play is a plot (basically that is what you are saying), then surely it would have been called Plot Trophies?

- Site Feature Trophies -
listed under this is Defender of Neopia 1 and 2

and

- Game Trophies -
listed under this is the NQ 1 and 2 games.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:44 am 
PPT Warrior
PPT Warrior

I agree with Jacob that Neoquest is a sort of plot. Think about it, you don't have a set time limit and you are given rewards. If the Altador Plot is in infact a plot then I don't see why Neoquest can't be a plot, if anything Neoquest offers more variety in rewards

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:14 am 
PPT God
PPT God

Penguin wrote:
I agree with Jacob that Neoquest is a sort of plot. Think about it, you don't have a set time limit and you are given rewards.

Wait, if you DON'T have a set time limit it's a plot? That's one argument against Neoquest being a plot--it's not limited-time site content, which is what Site Events are.
Penguin wrote:
If the Altador Plot is in infact a plot then I don't see why Neoquest can't be a plot, if anything Neoquest offers more variety in rewards

I do agree, only in reverse. Neither of them are plots.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next