Pink Poogle Toy Forum

The official community of Pink Poogle Toy
Main Site
NeoDex
It is currently Thu Oct 03, 2024 3:23 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: how can you do so well in school?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:50 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Beats me. I didn't do jack in high school and I was still in all Honors courses and graduated with a 93% or something. It depends on your high school. Mine was ridiculously easy. Nowadays many high schools do everything they can to ensure that nobody fails, because personal accountability is "mean" and "everybody's a winner". This, of course, is complete crap. People find that out on their own as soon as they hit college.

In college I focus my energies on my art projects and do enough in my other classes to ensure a B or an A. Failure is very palpable and I'm not about to waste my parents' money. I know when to slack and when not to. If I have a sketchbook due the next morning in one class and assigned reading in another, I know to hit up Sparknotes.

It all depends on your motivation. My motivation right now is staying on Dean's List so I can get a good internship the summer after my junior year. My motivation is to make my parents proud and to make every dollar they sweated for count for something. In high school? My motivation was to sneak past the parking lot guards so we could go to KFC during study hall.

Right now I have my sights set on my future career, and back then I had my sights set on a #2 meal with crispy chicken with mashed potatoes and cole slaw for sides. It all truly depends on what you want and what you're willing to do to get it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 7:19 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

Location: I don't know, but there'd better be chocolate. [art by Fiddelysquat]
Fiddelysquat wrote:
It all depends on your motivation. My motivation right now is staying on Dean's List so I can get a good internship the summer after my junior year. My motivation is to make my parents proud and to make every dollar they sweated for count for something. In high school? My motivation was to sneak past the parking lot guards so we could go to KFC during study hall.

That pretty much describes me perfectly, except that my motivation in high school was more like getting by without being expelled or killing someone.
High school was infinitely better than middle school, but I never did get to enjoy learning the way I did in elementary school or college. I think the biggest problem for a lot of intelligent students is that we're either bored and unchallenged by the teaching methods(which for me was always lecture, worksheet, lecture, worksheet, lecture, pointless and irritating project to boost everyone's grade, test) or we're simply not learning fast enough. We stop paying attention, because it's pretty easy to scrape by without ever stopping your own, more interesting projects: doodling, writing a story or notes to friends, finishing up the homework for the next class, having a conversation with a friend....I never did homework at home by my senior year. There was always enough downtime at school to get the "effort grade" (because grading on accuracy made students feel stupid) I needed.

"Oh, better far to live and die/Under the brave black flag I fly/Than play a sanctimonious part/With a pirate head and a pirate heart."

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:19 pm 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

Fiddelysquat wrote:
Beats me. I didn't do jack in high school and I was still in all Honors courses and graduated with a 93% or something. It depends on your high school. Mine was ridiculously easy. Nowadays many high schools do everything they can to ensure that nobody fails, because personal accountability is "mean" and "everybody's a winner". This, of course, is complete crap. People find that out on their own as soon as they hit college.

In college I focus my energies on my art projects and do enough in my other classes to ensure a B or an A. Failure is very palpable and I'm not about to waste my parents' money. I know when to slack and when not to. If I have a sketchbook due the next morning in one class and assigned reading in another, I know to hit up Sparknotes.

Right now I have my sights set on my future career, and back then I had my sights set on a #2 meal with crispy chicken with mashed potatoes and cole slaw for sides. It all truly depends on what you want and what you're willing to do to get it.

Wow you guys get mashed potato in your KFC? We're deprived here :(

ImageImage

Boom-shaka-laka! Rawr come and join us in the Randomness
Sig Halloween'd by Tom!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:31 am 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

Cyanna wrote:
I thought IQ tests were meant to measure your capacity to learn rather than what you already know.

I always thought it was fairly common for a child to have the highest IQ in the class and NOT have the highest grades. But that's really only based on personal experience. My sister doesn't know it, but she is one of those children (the teacher couldn't help telling my mom). I think I was another...I don't know if I had the highest score but it wasn't proportionate to my place in the class. I was always a little above average but I was no genius and still struggled now and then.

That was how the old system worked.
I'm not exactly sure when it was redone, but the upper limit was changed to 155 (Although I've never heard of anyone over 146) and it works on a sliding scale now.
It's kind of a mish-mash of physical intelligence and capacity for learning now.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:20 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Asthaloth wrote:
Cyanna wrote:
I thought IQ tests were meant to measure your capacity to learn rather than what you already know.

I always thought it was fairly common for a child to have the highest IQ in the class and NOT have the highest grades. But that's really only based on personal experience. My sister doesn't know it, but she is one of those children (the teacher couldn't help telling my mom). I think I was another...I don't know if I had the highest score but it wasn't proportionate to my place in the class. I was always a little above average but I was no genius and still struggled now and then.

That was how the old system worked.
I'm not exactly sure when it was redone, but the upper limit was changed to 155 (Although I've never heard of anyone over 146) quote]

I have a friend who was given a 178.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:17 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Anoohilator wrote:

you can't get mashed potato and gravy at KFC in the uk? I could have sworn you could. you can get it here. It's probably not real potato, but it's yummy ~:>

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:58 pm 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

Rachel wrote:
Anoohilator wrote:

you can't get mashed potato and gravy at KFC in the uk? I could have sworn you could. you can get it here. It's probably not real potato, but it's yummy ~:>

I know that we can get baked beans, coleslaw, corn on the cob and there was one more I think (possibly gravy), but I've never heard of mashed potato :(

It would truly be the cherry on top of a finger lickin' good cake :(

ImageImage

Boom-shaka-laka! Rawr come and join us in the Randomness
Sig Halloween'd by Tom!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:02 pm 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

Igg wrote:
I have a friend who was given a 178.

I presume She / He was tested under the old system however.
There are very few people who score over 126 I think it is (About 5% of the population I have heard).
(I should note here that while I use the term "New system" I don't actually know how Universal it is yet)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:15 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Yeah, old system, I'm just saying that's the highest I know.

I think I get around 130 but I can't remember and don't really care. If that's capacity to learn, it LIES. I have no capacity to learn.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:27 am 

There is almost no such thing as a universal IQ Test. Each one is different. You can take one of the internet tests where nobody seems to score below 120, but that doesn't make it legitimate, nor can you compare that to a test given by a psychologist. The only true way to compare is if two people take the same test. In this case, instead of throwing around IQ numbers, you should be giving your SAT scores (or whatever the equivalent is in England).

IDB Rater, Pink Inker

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:46 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

There isn't one.

The closest thing is CATs, which are done when you're 11 and indicative of bog-all, it would seem.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:00 am 
PPT Toddler
PPT Toddler

I studied a lot, and I was a natural test-taker in high school. Then again, I lived on the other side of town from my friends, and couldn't drive so there wasn't much else to do besides do homework and surf the forums.
'Corse none of that matters now. My only saving grace now that I'm in college is that I'm motivated and ambitious. In the end it will take me father than natural talent even though I go to an art college.

Time management also helps(grade wise)-but it's a hard skill for some people to master.

IQs never made much sense to me, most people that I've met with high IQs are lazy. Smart yes, but that doesn't matter if they don't wake up to go to class and fail out of college. A lot of my highschool class was like that. On the off chance they were awake during AP physics- they could solve anything, while the rest of us-the rocks- just stared at the paper. Most of them have already failed out of college- during their first semester.
Obvious exceptions are those few people who have both high IQs and lots of motivation, but they're far and few between( I've met only one) , and those lucky few who drop out of school and make a fortune.

Looks like I'm back!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:32 pm 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

Igg wrote:
There isn't one.

The closest thing is CATs, which are done when you're 11 and indicative of bog-all, it would seem.

CAT tests are like...
Quote:
If the sky is blue, what colour is grass?

a) yellow
b) red
c) blue
d) green

that's me.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:37 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

As I recall, CAT tests were more like

Quote:
If Martin likes Haribo, what time will he get up on Thursday if school is cancelled?
A. cheese
B. 79
C. orange
D. wool

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:37 pm 

Igg wrote:
As I recall, CAT tests were more like

Quote:
If Martin likes Haribo, what time will he get up on Thursday if school is cancelled?
A. cheese
B. 79
C. orange
D. wool

Aren't those the ones that determine what your educational track is going to be? That's pretty harsh.

IDB Rater, Pink Inker

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next