Pink Poogle Toy Forum

The official community of Pink Poogle Toy
Main Site
NeoDex
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:11 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Indie!
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:33 pm 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

From your list:

The Arcade Fire
Broken Social Scene
Murder by Death
The Postal Service

And some more...

The Flaming Lips
Xiu Xiu
Neutral Milk Hotel

kudos sasha+gregory // PPT's Unofficial President

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:36 pm 
PPT Student
PPT Student

I like a few of them, and I consider myself as an 'indie' person O_o
'Know your onion!' by the shins is good, and 'anthem for a seventeen year old girl' by Broken social scene. A few of the people you listed are 'emo' though, like P!ATD. Those being indie makes me laugh.
Sounds like you need some good ol' Wolf Parade and The Hold Steady in that list ;)

|Nifty set by Silja|

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:38 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Oh, do I loathe the word indie. There's the two definitions- bands not on major labels, or bands with small audiences. It's all very subjective. After all, Britney Spears and *NSYNC used to be on indie charts because they were on a Zomba label. Pfft. And indie technically isn't a genre.

Plus, debates on how "indie" bands are can get reaaaally elitist sometimes. Ick. (Nonetheless, I still find myself partaking in some.)

Igg's taste is closest to mine, from the posts above- subtract a few that I haven't heard of, add in Feist, and that would be my list. I'll make sure to check out some of those artists, namely Animal Collective, Ani DiFranco, and Kings of Convenience.

One certain act which hasn't been mentioned yet that I really like at the moment is Guillemots. Very fun, whimsical style.

Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:49 pm 
PPT Toddler
PPT Toddler

Assuming label has nothing to do with idie in this list, and it's just "lesser known stuff"...

The Dresdan Dolls
Pretty Balanced
Liana Stillman
Lusitania
Fluttr Effect
DeVotchKa (not to be confused with The Devotchkas)
HUMANWINE (just so you know, I'm not yelling, it's just spelled that way)
Though the last two I've only heard a handfull of song from. But they all rock.

Edit: Jaggery is amaing too. I forgot about them.

-Amber

"You can be a starving artist, or an artist who isn't starving, but the worst thing for people like us to be is a well fed non-artist."

Last edited by bone garden on Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:14 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Yoshi wrote:

Igg's taste is closest to mine, from the posts above- subtract a few that I haven't heard of, add in Feist, and that would be my list. I'll make sure to check out some of those artists, namely Animal Collective, Ani DiFranco, and Kings of Convenience.

One certain act which hasn't been mentioned yet that I really like at the moment is Guillemots. Very fun, whimsical style.

Animal Collective are pretty good but definitely a bit weird and 'out there'. Ani DiFranco you've probably already heard of as she is quite popular without ever having really 'made it big' (which I guess is why I say indie). King of Convenience I think you will like. Yoshi recommendation for the week. Also, Erlend Oye has remixed a couple of their songs that are worth checking out. Actually, he's worth checking out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 1:41 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Location: Watching little birds fly kamikaze missions into the walls.
I used to listen to the indie radio station when I was in high school. I have quite a few favorite indie acts, although none of them are new, like most of what's been posted. My definition of indie may be somewhat different than other people's definitions. When I hear "indie", I think really obscure bands that 99.9% of people have never heard of.

A Guy Called Gerald
Ani DiFranco <3
Caviar
Geggy Tah
Gomez
Hooverphonic
Hum
King Missile
Massive Attack
My Life With the Thrill Kill Kult
Poe
Portishead
Roni Size
Splashdown
The Get-Up Kids <3
Toadies
Touch and Go

I may think of some more later.

It was an honor serving you PPT. I will miss you.
Click here to join my new werewolf forum!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 2:25 am 

Bangel wrote:
As for Panic! at the Disco, they are not indie. Indie doesn't really have anything to do with record labels (also, I disagree with you that Fueled by Ramen isn't very mainstream, considering Panic!'s evil clone, Fall Out Boy, is also hugely popular and on that label). It has to do with how mainstream the band is. Panic! is mainstream. Very mainstream. You do not sell out all your concerts in four minutes and NOT be mainstream.

Like I said, Indie is pretty subjective. Some people say that it's soley based on whether or not the band is signed to a major record label (because Indie could have very well derived from independent), while others say its based on whether or not the band is mainstream. Also, Fueled by Ramen is pretty well known, but they're still an independent record label, which is why I listed P!atD. But hey, like I said, whatever floats your boat.

Igg wrote:
Plus, Pengy, you make no sense. You say Panic! At The Disco are indie because they aren't signed to a major record label, but you list The Smiths? Dude, I love The Smiths, but indie they ain't....they're (well, were) a pretty major band!

The Smiths were signed onto Rough Trade Records, an independent record label. So if you go by my definition of Indie, then you'd understand why I listed them.

But anyways. Does anyone else think that Emily Haines (from Metric, BSS, and Stars's "Going Going Gone") is absolutely fantastic? Her voice is amazing.

Last edited by pengy on Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 8:16 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Yeah, I like her.

Do Portishead count? I have forgotten about them, they're great; though Beth Gibbons and Rustin Man is more to my taste.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 2:01 pm 
PPT Warrior
PPT Warrior

I'm not really sure if I listen to indie, but assuming it's bands that don't have a very large fanbase, I really love Propagandhi and Screeching Weasel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 2:19 pm 
PPT Student
PPT Student

Well, to start, The Academy Is... are on the top of my list in everything. <3

Augustana
Baumer
Blane
THEBLEEDINGALARM - but only a few of their songs are my taste
Body Rockers
Circa Survive
Downtown Singapore
Dressy Bessy
Damiera
Firescape
The Fold
The Forecast
The Fray
Waking Ashland
Kill Hannah - I believe their indie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 3:43 pm 
Way Beyond Godly
Way Beyond Godly

_lexxia wrote:
Image @ the Click Five

You wanna know how desperate they are for shows? XD Back in April (I remember it as the day I bought my Family Force 5 CD :roflol:), they had a concert, in association with our local station B 93.7...in our WalMart parking lot.

SERIOUSLY! :o If you have a Rand McNally map with WalMart locations, go to South Carolina and search for Greenville (it should be a Woodruff Road address). They had this huge banner up and everything. I think Dino (who's the coolest DJ who works there -- definetly) was standing next to me, but I withheld my ground. We were there for the warmup, didn't stay for the show. Far too many screaming fangirls.
Personally, they all sound like girls. :roll:
http://b937online.com/PhotoWall.asp?id=21537

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 3:51 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Calla Calla Calla.

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:26 am 
PPT God
PPT God

Igg wrote:
DM was on fire! wrote:
Panic! doesn't get much plugging, so they are indie

Are you for real?

I'd say the 349730635706735 people who bang on about them on Myspace while making sure their fringe still covers their left eye do a fair bit of plugging. As do TV adverts.
They don't NEED a huge marketing scheme because they have it in spades with all the kids who listen to them and think they're cool...

Iggy Pie, have I ever told you you're my heeeero?

:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:50 pm 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

Igg wrote:
Yoshi wrote:

King of Convenience I think you will like. Yoshi recommendation for the week. Also, Erlend Oye has remixed a couple of their songs that are worth checking out. Actually, he's worth checking out.

mm..Kings of Convienence is good.

The Smiths and Morrissey are like the sugar dadd(y/ies) of this whole emotionally disdained all-male bands..

..except they did it with style.

generally unimpressed. Koku.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:32 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Morrissey has gone so far downhill it's not even funny. Actually that's a lie, it's very funny. "explosive kegs between my legs". OH GOOD SHOW, SIR.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next