Pink Poogle Toy Forum

The official community of Pink Poogle Toy
Main Site
NeoDex
It is currently Thu Oct 10, 2024 6:23 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 2:51 am 
PPT God
PPT God

robot wrote:
Chaud, have you even read the entire thread, yet?

Of course not! Surely you don't expect me to read all?! :o I barely did that in the HP thread.

Spira: Mipsy only died 2 times in my last game, and Rohane twice to. That's all that ever happened.

I also have a tip, and thought of it by acciadent :lol: Cause my friend maxed out Velm's single heal, thinking it was group heal. If so, then she could give ROhane battle taaunt (one skill only!) and use it in battles, so monsters may attack him mostly, having the most hp, then Velm could single heal him.

I like pickles, I like cheese, I like climbing lobster trees!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 3:36 am 
PPT Student
PPT Student

For Rohane: steel chain tunic (def 14) or Zombom's wrought chain tunic - Innate Magic Resistance: +1

I don't have any skill points for Innate Magic Resistance. And actually, should I just buy all the upgrades from Lakeside Town?

Edit: Nevermind, I bought them all, since I'm likely going to die or something anyways.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 4:00 am 
PPT Trainee
PPT Trainee

Brief thoughts on Mipsy's skill points:

Pretty much everyone who's played the game on levels higher than Normal agrees the Innates are important for all characters, including Mipsy.

Obviously, you must also get one of either Direct Damage or Group Direct Damage for Mipsy. Most people seem to consider DD the one to get on the grounds that DD is more useful against Terask II than GDD. Also, note that DD does same amount of average damage as GDD does because it recharges twice as quickly - you can hit twice with DD in the same time it takes Mipst to hit once with GDD. However, some people give the nod to GDD as being useful against large groups of monsters, which it is.

So, there's three skills down: DD/GDD and the innates.

Now, a common procedure when playing NQII on Evil and Insane is to "max out" skills at 11 points instead of at the full 15 points, then count on using nifty +4 weapons and armor to bring the skills all the way up at the end of the game, saving all the skill points earned from Level 50 on to make up any shortfalls when you don't get the weapon or armor you wanted. If you do this, in theory you could max 5 different skills. (In practice, of course, you don't get +4 weapons and armor for every character, so you'll probably come closer to getting 4.5 skills per character.)

So, there are 4 other possible skills for Mipsy you could get, and you can only have one and a half of them.

Pretty much everyone agrees Slow is useless. Slow potions work better and any character can use them, not just Mipsy. (When you need to slow a boss you want to do it fast, you don't want to have to wait for Mipsy's turn to roll around again for a second attempt if the boss resists.)

One option is to get whichever of DD or GDD you don't already have. Downside: having both can be a bit redundant. How many big damage spells does one character need? Upside: You can use DD and the other character's attacks to lower enemies HP to the point where one hit from GDD wipes multiple enemies out at once, which is always fun.

Damage shields can be useful against anything that hits you with physical damage a lot: many bosses, including Terask; creatures that have Combat Focus; groups of 4 strong creatures like you find in Faerieland. They're also handy for finishing off weak opponents if you don't get GDD. But often they don't do more damage than Mipsy would have done if you used the turn you cast them to attack, instead.

Group Haste is handy because it only takes one turn to haste your whole party, whereas having each party member drink a haste potion takes four turns. However, even maxed it hastes a lot less than the strongest haste potions, so you'll often still end up using haste potions in boss battles -- the only time hasting is really vital -- anyway.

The bottom line: except for Slow, none of Mipsy's "second-tier" skills -- Group Haste, Damage Shield, and the second of DD/GDD -- is really bad. Each has advantages and disadvantages. People have won on Insane choosing any of them as skills for Mipsy. It really is just a matter of personal preference and game-playing style.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 4:09 am 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

Chaud wrote:
Spira: Mipsy only died 2 times in my last game, and Rohane twice to. That's all that ever happened.

I find it easier when Mipsy has some defence. Of course you can always save yourself with potions, but what if you run out or is running short? I like to be safe.

Don't be afraid to see the truth, even if no one wants you to. Be yourself and not a fool. Don't ever be afraid to speak your mind and listen to criticism. Dissent is keeps our country progressive and willingness to challenge yourself is what keeps yourself ever evolving.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 4:17 am 
PPT Student
PPT Student

bgryph wrote:
Brief thoughts on Mipsy's skill points:

Pretty much everyone who's played the game on levels higher than Normal agrees the Innates are important for all characters, including Mipsy.

Obviously, you must also get one of either Direct Damage or Group Direct Damage for Mipsy. Most people seem to consider DD the one to get on the grounds that DD is more useful against Terask II than GDD. Also, note that DD does same amount of average damage as GDD does because it recharges twice as quickly - you can hit twice with DD in the same time it takes Mipst to hit once with GDD. However, some people give the nod to GDD as being useful against large groups of monsters, which it is.

So, there's three skills down: DD/GDD and the innates.

Now, a common procedure when playing NQII on Evil and Insane is to "max out" skills at 11 points instead of at the full 15 points, then count on using nifty +4 weapons and armor to bring the skills all the way up at the end of the game, saving all the skill points earned from Level 50 on to make up any shortfalls when you don't get the weapon or armor you wanted. If you do this, in theory you could max 5 different skills. (In practice, of course, you don't get +4 weapons and armor for every character, so you'll probably come closer to getting 4.5 skills per character.)

So, there are 4 other possible skills for Mipsy you could get, and you can only have one and a half of them.

Pretty much everyone agrees Slow is useless. Slow potions work better and any character can use them, not just Mipsy. (When you need to slow a boss you want to do it fast, you don't want to have to wait for Mipsy's turn to roll around again for a second attempt if the boss resists.)

One option is to get whichever of DD or GDD you don't already have. Downside: having both can be a bit redundant. How many big damage spells does one character need? Upside: You can use DD and the other character's attacks to lower enemies HP to the point where one hit from GDD wipes multiple enemies out at once, which is always fun.

Damage shields can be useful against anything that hits you with physical damage a lot: many bosses, including Terask; creatures that have Combat Focus; groups of 4 strong creatures like you find in Faerieland. They're also handy for finishing off weak opponents if you don't get GDD. But often they don't do more damage than Mipsy would have done if you used the turn you cast them to attack, instead.

Group Haste is handy because it only takes one turn to haste your whole party, whereas having each party member drink a haste potion takes four turns. However, even maxed it hastes a lot less than the strongest haste potions, so you'll often still end up using haste potions in boss battles -- the only time hasting is really vital -- anyway.

The bottom line: except for Slow, none of Mipsy's "second-tier" skills -- Group Haste, Damage Shield, and the second of DD/GDD -- is really bad. Each has advantages and disadvantages. People have won on Insane choosing any of them as skills for Mipsy. It really is just a matter of personal preference and game-playing style.

You are so cool! :) By the way, you should probably submit this to IDNQ, if you havn't done so already. And then, write more! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 5:18 am 
PPT Warrior
PPT Warrior

When given a choice of haste or damage shields I'd go with group haste because it really saves you potions on wimpier enemies like devilpess and the pant devils in act 5 thus you can save up on slowing and haste potions for terask.

But damage shields do come in handy I just have different priorities.

None of my characters have died so far in insane mode and mipsy died once in evil mode when a bunch of sorcers kept casting dd on her. If you get 11 points in defense she's sturdy enough to take some hits.

Honk Honk Honk $#%#$% honk hooooonk.

- Honk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 7:14 am 
PPT Student
PPT Student

I just realized what "Phorofor" from "the lost city of Phorofor" stands for. O_o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 7:38 am 
PPT God
PPT God

vivian58 wrote:
I just realized what "Phorofor" from "the lost city of Phorofor" stands for. O_o

What?

I wouldn't reccomend giving Mipsy slowing. The only time you really need to slow is against bosses. Yes, ALL of your party need the innates, melee haste, magic resistance, casting haste...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 7:49 am 
PPT Student
PPT Student

Chaud wrote:
vivian58 wrote:

What?

Read/say it out loud!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 7:56 am 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

Another clue: Numbers.

A clue to add to that: webpages that can't be found.

Don't be afraid to see the truth, even if no one wants you to. Be yourself and not a fool. Don't ever be afraid to speak your mind and listen to criticism. Dissent is keeps our country progressive and willingness to challenge yourself is what keeps yourself ever evolving.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 8:13 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Chaud wrote:
Of course not! Surely you don't expect me to read all?! :o I barely did that in the HP thread.

I figured that much.. >.<
Technically, that was a rhetorical question, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 4:57 pm 
PPT Warrior
PPT Warrior

heh I like that 404'd!

slowing is horrible to get! the bosses usually resist it! potions are much better.

Honk Honk Honk $#%#$% honk hooooonk.

- Honk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 10:35 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

cap wrote:
heh I like that 404'd!

slowing is horrible to get! the bosses usually resist it! potions are much better.

Heh, 404ed! :lol: Well, Phorofor IS a lost city which was undead guys.....yeah.

Anyway, Mipsy's slowing is terrible. 62% is what it is maxed out. She only gets to max out 3 skills, with 14 on another (unless it's spread out you you deafinitely need the casting haste and meelee haste (or is it MR?). Sure the slowing potions cost more, but is it worth getting losing 15 skill points for it? In chapter five, the coma potions cn even slow 80%! So it's 18% more than 15 SP, but still!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 11:15 pm 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

Chaud wrote:
Anyway, Mipsy's slowing is terrible. 62% is what it is maxed out. She only gets to max out 3 skills, with 14 on another (unless it's spread out you you deafinitely need the casting haste and meelee haste (or is it MR?). Sure the slowing potions cost more, but is it worth getting losing 15 skill points for it? In chapter five, the coma potions cn even slow 80%! So it's 18% more than 15 SP, but still!

o_O What are you getting at?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 11:51 pm 
PPT Trainee
PPT Trainee

Chaud wrote:
cap wrote:
heh I like that 404'd!

Heh, 404ed! :lol: Well, Phorofor IS a lost city which was undead guys.....yeah.

Yep, pretty much everyone agrees that Slow is a bad choice for Mipsy. (Pretty much the ONLY skill everyone agrees is a bag choice for Mipsy.) I don't think anyone on this thread has suggested it.

Besides the issues you mention, there's the fact that only Mipsy can cast Slow, wheras anyone can use a potion. If you need to slow a boss you want to slow him NOW... if he resists or it wears off you don't want to have to wait for Mipsy's turn to roll around again.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next