Pink Poogle Toy Forum

The official community of Pink Poogle Toy
Main Site
NeoDex
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:56 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Classic Rock Discussion
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 11:44 pm 
PPT Toddler
PPT Toddler

Looking through this forum thoroughly I haven't seen many classic rock fans. So me, King Internet, is here to enlighten you on some of my favorite "old school" rock bands, some of them not very known, while some of them leaving a huge mark on the future of rock.

Let me start off with a band that is widely recognized.

Led Zeppelin
Composed of Jimmy Page (Guitars), John Bonham (Drums), Robert Plant (Vocalist), and John Paul Jones (Bass)

Albums: Led Zeppelin, Led Zeppelin II, Led Zeppelin III, Led Zeppelin (Untitled), Physical Grafitti, Presence, Houses Of The Holy, How The West Was Won, Early And Latter Days (Greatest Hits), The Song Remains The Same are their most notable ones. There are other live albums, singles, and later songs which they aren't as famous for.

There is a reason why Led Zeppelin are widely recognized in the era of classic rock. One main reason is that they were good. Actually, I don't thnk good is a powerful enough word. They were amazing. They revolutionized Rock and emphasized album-oriented rock. Although they broke up after Bonham passed away, the mark they left on the rock genre changed the future of music. With songs such as Stairway To Heaven, Heartbreaker, Since I've Been Loving You, Achilles Last Stand, The Ocean, Ramble On, and many more, one could see how amazing this band was.

Pink Floyd
I would say all the members who were in Pink Floyd, but that would take a long time. So I will just include Roger Waters, Dave Gilmour, Rick Wright, and Nick Mason. There are a lot of members.

Albums: Echoes (Greatest Hits), Dark Side of the Moon, Meddle, Wish You Were Here, Animals, The Wall, and other less notable albums.

Ah, Pink Floyd, an amazing band I must add. Let me start however with the fact that Pink Floyd reunited after 25 years now at the Live 8 concert. I look forward to hearing their songs. Pink Floyd are most notably known for their grandiose concept albums of the 70's. Dark Side of the Moon finally broke Pink Floyd as superstars in the United States, where it made number one. More astonishingly, it made them one of the biggest-selling acts of all time. Dark Side of the Moon spent an incomprehensible 741 weeks on the Billboard album chart. Additionally, the primarily instrumental textures of the songs helped make Dark Side of the Moon easily translatable on an international level, and the record became (and still is) one of the most popular rock albums worldwide.

It was also an extremely hard act to follow, although the follow-up, Wish You Were Here (1975), also made number highlighted by "Shine On You Crazy Diamond." Dark Side of the Moon had been dominated by lyrical themes of insecurity, fear, and the cold sterility of modern life; Wish You Were Here and Animals (1977) developed these morose themes even more explicitly. By this time Waters was taking a firm hand over Pink Floyd's lyrical and musical vision, which was consolidated by The Wall (1979).

e bleak, overambitious double concept album concerned itself with the material and emotional walls modern humans build around themselves for survival. The Wall was a huge success (even by Pink Floyd's standards), in part because the music was losing some of its heavy-duty electronic textures in favor of more approachable pop elements. Although Pink Floyd had rarely even released singles since the late '60s, one of the tracks, "Another Brick in the Wall," became a transatlantic number one. The band had been launching increasingly elaborate stage shows throughout the '70s, but the touring production of The Wall, featuring a construction of an actual wall during the band's performance, was the most excessive yet.

Rush
Composed of Alex Lifeson (Guitars), Neil Peart (Percussion, and if I might add, one of the very best rock drummers ever, and one of the most skilled drummers ever).

Albums: Rush (Debut), Fly By Night, Caress Of Steel, 2112, A Farewell To Kings, Hemispheres, Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures, Signals, Roll The Bones, Grace Under Pressure, Power Windows, Hold Your Fire, Vapor Trails, Exit...Stage Left (Live), Presto, and a few more that I can't name off the top of my head.

Over the course of their decades-spanning career, the Canadian power trio Rush emerged as one of hard rock's most highly regarded bands; although typically brushed aside by critics

and although rare recipients of mainstream pop radio airplay, the group nonetheless won an impressive and devoted fan following while their virtuoso performance skills solidified their standing as musicians' musicians.

Rush formed in Toronto, Ontario, in the autumn of 1968, and initially comprised guitarist Alex Lifeson (born Alexander Zivojinovich), vocalist/bassist Geddy Lee (born Gary Lee Weinrib), and drummer John Rutsey. In their primary incarnation, the trio drew a heavy influence from Cream, and honed their skills on the Toronto club circuit before issuing their debut single, a rendition of Buddy Holly's "Not Fade Away," in 1973. A self-titled LP followed in 1974, at which time Rutsey exited; he was replaced by drummer Neil Peart, who also assumed the role of the band's primary songwriter, composing the cerebral lyrics (influenced by works of science fiction and fantasy) that gradually became a hallmark of the group's aesthetic.

With Peart firmly ensconced, Rush returned in 1975 with a pair of LPs, Fly by Night and Caress of Steel. Their next effort, 1976's 2112, proved to be their breakthrough release: a futuristic concept album based on the writings of Ayn Rand, it fused the elements of the trio's sound -- Lee's high-pitched vocals, Peart's epic-length compositions, and Lifeson's complex guitar work -- into a unified whole. Fans loved it -- 2112 was the first in a long line of gold and platinum releases -- while critics dismissed it as overblown and pretentious: either way, it established a formula from which the band rarely deviated throughout the duration of their career.

A Farewell to Kings followed in 1977 and reached the Top 40 in both the U.S. and Britain. After 1978's Hemispheres, Rush achieved even greater popularity with 1980's Permanent Waves, a record marked by Peart's dramatic shift into shorter, less sprawling compositions; the single "The Spirit of Radio" even became a major hit. With 1981's Moving Pictures, the trio scored another hit of sorts with "Tom Sawyer," which garnered heavy exposure on album-oriented radio and became perhaps their best-known song. As the 1980s continued, Rush grew into a phenomenally popular live draw as albums like 1982's Signals (which generated the smash "New World Man"), 1984's Grace Under Pressure, and 1985's Power Windows continued to sell millions of copies.

As the decade drew to a close, the trio cut back on its touring schedule while hardcore followers complained of a sameness afflicting slicker, synth-driven efforts like 1987's Hold Your Fire and 1989's Presto. At the dawn of the 1990s, however, Rush returned to the heavier sound of their early records and placed a renewed emphasis on Lifeson's guitar heroics; consequently, both 1991's Roll the Bones and 1993's Counterparts reached the Top Three on the U.S. album charts. In 1996, the band issued Test for Echo and headed out on the road the following summer. Shortly thereafter, Peart lost his daughter in an automobile accident. Tragedy struck again in 1998 when Peart's wife succumbed to cancer. Dire times in the Rush camp did not cause the band to quit. Lee took time out for a solo stint with 2000's My Favorite Headache; however, rumors of the band playing in the studio began to circulate. It would be five years until anything surfaced from the band. Fans were reassured in early 2002 by news that Rush were recording new songs in Toronto. The fruit of those sessions led to the release of Rush's 17th studio album, Vapor Trails, later that spring. (Credit to VH1, because I am quite too lazy to type up a biography right now, seeing as so much went on in the Rush history.)

If this topic receives popularity I might consider getting The Who, Deep Purple, and King Crimson biographies too. ;d

Post subject: Re: Classic Rock Discussion
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 12:17 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

King Internet wrote:
Pink Floyd

They dont look like that anymore!!!
And i dont agree with you on the "actually being good" comment, as i dont really like them. I have heard stuff by them before and not been impressed, and i just watched them on live 8 on the tv and wasn't overly impressed by their songs either.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 1:09 am 
PPT Toddler
PPT Toddler

rachel wrote:
King Internet wrote:
Pink Floyd

And i dont agree with you on the "actually being good" comment, as i dont really like them. I have heard stuff by them before and not been impressed, and i just watched them on live 8 on the tv and wasn't overly impressed by their songs either.

One, just because I posted a photograph of them doesn't mean that the photograph conveys what they look like now. ._.
One, Pink Floyd had their prime in the 70's. Don't you think that they would age and lose some of their finesse after 25 years of not playing together.
Really, try to use common sense before bashing my comments. Also even if you don't like them, a lot of the post is an opinion, and don't you think I would be a little bit biased if I was posting about some of my favorite bands?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 8:49 am 
PPT Student
PPT Student

I love Led Zeppelin, not overly fond of Pink Floyd... they're OK, and have never heard any songs by Rush.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 9:01 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Quite fond of Zep, Pink Floyd less so, and not particularly Rush.

There are plenty of classic rock fans here, and there are also those who may find this thread a tad patronising ;)
After all, what's google for?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 9:26 am 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

Led Zeppie...I know someone that met one of the blokes from it on a bus about a year ago.

*random piece of information*

that's me.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 11:47 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

King Internet wrote:
rachel wrote:
King Internet wrote:
Pink Floyd

One, just because I posted a photograph of them doesn't mean that the photograph conveys what they look like now. ._.
One, Pink Floyd had their prime in the 70's. Don't you think that they would age and lose some of their finesse after 25 years of not playing together.
Really, try to use common sense before bashing my comments. Also even if you don't like them, a lot of the post is an opinion, and don't you think I would be a little bit biased if I was posting about some of my favorite bands?

i was only joking with the comment on what they looked like, and the rest of what i said was my opinion. you asked for a discussion and i was stating my opinion. i didnt bash your comments.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 12:19 pm 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

I enjoy Pink Floyd and Led Zepellin.

To quote a song by Pavement...

Quote:
Singer 1: And what about the voice of Geddy Lee? How did it get so high? I wonder if he speaks like an ordinary guy.

Singer 2: I know him, and he does.

Don't be afraid to see the truth, even if no one wants you to. Be yourself and not a fool. Don't ever be afraid to speak your mind and listen to criticism. Dissent is keeps our country progressive and willingness to challenge yourself is what keeps yourself ever evolving.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 2:42 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

Sheesh, there are loads of 'classic rock' fans here. They're just lurking. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 2:54 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I like Led Zeppelin, I just can't stand Stairway To Heaven. I like a lot of their other songs though.

And Pink Floyd yay! I love a lot of their music. But I can't watch The Wall. Freaks me out really badly. Because my parents loved it and I was exposed to it when I was really little, and it scarred me ;_;

Love is blindness. -- Set by my Secret Santa =D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 4:37 pm 
PPT Warrior
PPT Warrior

I somewhat like Led Zeppelin, but I got tired of their albums since I listened to all of them tons of times. Pink Floyd I like more and I'm not tired of 'em yet :P , but I hate some of their over blown long songs. Rush I've never heard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 5:17 pm 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

I don't like Pink Floyd. According to my parents, my mom was pregnant with me when they went to the last ever Pink Floyd show ( before live8). Maybe they disturbed me in my sleep.

It also drives me crazy how I always see 12 year old punk girl wannabees wearing pink floyd shirts. I just don't get what the rave is about.

~Set by moogie~

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 5:51 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

I absolutely love led zepplin!!! They're the greatest! Pink Floyd is amazing as well. Now Rush is good, but I don't love them or anything. Hmm.. I should go listen to a few of their songs as a reminder of what they sound like though. Anyways, thanx for the info, I found it interesting and never would have gond looking for it myself.

- set by WIS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 6:02 pm 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

Sapphire Faerie wrote:
I like Led Zeppelin, I just can't stand Stairway To Heaven. I like a lot of their other songs though.

*melodramatic wail* I love Stairway to Heaven! There are loads of classic rock fans on here btw.

Anyway, coming from Wolverhampton, I *have* to like Led Zeppelin! It's mandatory! I do like Pink Floyd, however not so much. Rush are blah to me.

I love The Who (Behind Blue Eyes = love), used to like Deep Purple if it weren't for that awful riff that everyone seems to play whenever I walk into a guitar shop. You know the one.

AC/DC will remain my favourite classic rock band and Thin Lizzy (*sings* waiting for an alibi, waiting for an alibi! dum dum) comes a close second.

It's coming...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 6:03 pm 
PPT Warrior
PPT Warrior

Shifty wrote:
It also drives me crazy how I always see 12 year old punk girl wannabees wearing pink floyd shirts. I just don't get what the rave is about.

They don't wanna look like wannabees so they buy shirts that they think will make them look like non wannabees.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next