Pink Poogle Toy Forum

The official community of Pink Poogle Toy
Main Site
NeoDex
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:55 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 3:33 am 
PPT Toddler
PPT Toddler

We were suppose to get them, but we never did. The ground around here would not stay at above 68 degrees for more then a day. I guess it needs to be above that for 2-3 days. Also, they think alot of the ones here starved to death.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 3:51 am 
PPT Baby
PPT Baby

Wow, so you guys don't get them much? Weird. There's heaps in NZ. I used to love collecting their shells. Actually, I never knew what a cicada looked like until one flew into my hair at school. Odd how they leave so much shells but are hardly seen.

^Thanks Rikio ^_^

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 1:28 am 
PPT Warrior
PPT Warrior

theres alot in washington,dc there were streets that looked like battlegrounds beacuse of all the dead cicadas i killed like 25

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 1:33 am 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

We got them last year! I found a dead one that was pretty much intact. I pulled off the wings and kept them because they look cool. I still have 'em. ^_^

Zero set 13 of 26

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 3:25 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

The yearly ones are not the same as the 17 year cicadias. They each have different scientific names, although I don't know them. It's a shame though that they're going, I really wanted to find a blue-eyed one. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 2:41 pm 
PPT Baby
PPT Baby

Ew, Cicadas give me the creeps! I'm afraid of bugs, so... But we don't get them in B.C. Or at least in my area of B.C. But the summers going to be much hotter this year, so Cicadas might actually come during the summer... but probably not, since the Cicada season's almost over and they really don't come here much, and if they have, I've never seen them.

Set made by me! Request Board

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 6:26 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

zorg wrote:
Would someone mind explaining what they are? :D

dictionary wrote:
ci·ca·da (s¹-k³“d…, -kä“-) n., pl. ci·ca·das or ci·ca·dae (-d¶”). Any of various insects of the family Cicadidae, having a broad head, membranous wings, and in the male a pair of resonating organs that produce a characteristic high-pitched, droning sound. Also called cicala.

www.insects.org wrote:
Cicada own the reputation of being the loudest animal in the world. Producing a loud whining sound with two tymbal structure that is greatly amplified with air-filled resonating chambers, the cicada is also a proficient ventriloquist, making it hard to locate the actual source of the noise. The ancient Greek revered this insect and the Chinese made jade cicada amulets. These amulets were placed under the tongue of the deceased to induce resurrection. This symbolism comes from an observance of immature cicada emerging fresh from their molded skins.

gallery of cicada pictures

www.cicadamania.net/faq.html#b1 wrote:
Question: Is it true that someone has offered a reward for blue-eyed cicadas? (5/2004)
Answer: That's false. It's an urban legend. Although rare and cool no one has placed a bounty on their teeny heads.

Question: Why do they stay underground for 17 years? (5/2004)
Answer: There are a number of theories. Most likely they've developed this rhythm to avoid predators. Climate events -- perhaps the Ice Age -- are also factor.

Question: Do cicadas bite or sting?
Answer: No. Cicadas aren't equipped to bite or sting. They do have prickly feet which can pinch or scratch. If they confuse you with a tree branch they might try to drink fluids from you or lay some eggs in you, which you would definitely feel.

Question: Are cicadas toxic or poisonous?
Answer: No, but just in case, try not to eat too many. They will become toxic if you spray them with pesticides - so don't.

Question: How do they make that noise?
Answer: Only the males make that noise (although some females are capable of making sounds). They have drum like membranes on their abdomen that vibrate very quickly, creating the creepy tones. Every species of cicada has a unique call. The frequency and tone of their calls is related to the temperature, and the time of day.

Question: What do they eat?
Answer: To the best of my knowledge, cicadas subsist solely on the fluids of a living deciduous tree. Magicicada adults live off their fatty bodies -- and they are capable of sucking fluids from trees. As larvae and nymphs they suck tree fluids from the roots of deciduous trees. Tibicens and other Genus of cicada do eat as adults. If you capture a cicada, giving the creature a broken branch to suck on probably won't nourish it. You best bet is to take a picture or some video and then release it.

Question: What is a deciduous tree?
Answer: Essentially, a tree that loses its leaves each fall, like maples, oaks and fruit trees.

Question: How long does a Magicicada emergence last?
Answer: About six weeks.

Question: If these cicadas appear every 17 years, then why is it that they are listed to appear as frequently as every 4 years?

Answer: Good question. Magicicadas emerge in what's known as Broods -- which you can think of as families or tribes. Each Brood emerges in 17 (or 13) year cycles. There can be more than one Brood in a state or even the same area, which is why you have emergences happening every 4 years or less in certain areas. Broods never get a chance to interbreed, so they're usually genetically different than other broods, and are often comprised of different species (Magicicada is a Genus name not a species).

sorry for the really long post but i hope it helps those who dont know much about cicada's

ImageImage

Last edited by -Ducky- on Thu Jun 17, 2004 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 6:45 pm 
PPT Toddler
PPT Toddler

That was very educating ducky, thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 6:45 pm 
Way Beyond Godly
Way Beyond Godly

DiscordantNote wrote:
Angus Young wrote:
Mistykal wrote:
Isn't that a good thing? :?

no they were so fun to throw at people

*raises eyebrow*

I remember that when I was younger I liked to collect their shells. I thought the actual bug was a creepy looking thing, probably due to its size.

We have 2 HUGE oak trees where I used to live up untill I turned 9. I used to collect a ton of their shells every night before I went in. When I was at Jack in the Box yesterday, I saw a huge one on the window.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 6:55 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

Cool! I love those but I want to hear them....or see them.

(Steal the rhythm while you can.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 6:55 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

lovio wrote:
Cool! I love those but I want to hear them....or see them.

Where do you live? They're pretty common insects and they're very hard not to hear.

Yes, I'm still alive...still alive...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 7:33 pm 
PPT Toddler
PPT Toddler

I want to hear them as well, I live in England, but I've never heard anybody talking about them. And if it was once every seventeen years, it would be on some wildlife programme or something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 10:15 pm 
PPT Toddler
PPT Toddler

Wonder how they're doing in Louisville...We didn't get any out here, but I haven't checked Louisville lately.

Electric Dj wrote:
I want to hear them as well, I live in England, but I've never heard anybody talking about them. And if it was once every seventeen years, it would be on some wildlife programme or something.

Well, I don't think they come out every seventeen years for every country around the world and they all have different life cycles, I believe. And I'm sure they've been mentioned numerous times on wildlife shows. Hehe

Read Fast Food Nation by Eric Schlosser.
Watch Love Actually.
Listen to 80s and 90s streaming audio

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 3:09 am 
PPT God
PPT God

Electric Dj wrote:
That was very educating ducky, thanks.

at least someone seems to appreciate my research :wink:

ImageImage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 5:03 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Well, I haven't seen, let alone heard any in my area yet, which is weird because this year is supposed to be the largest of the 17-year cycles.

Yes, I'm still alive...still alive...

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next