This board is for anything to do with the Pink Poogle Toy Forum. If you have a question or want to suggest any ideas, then this is the place to do it.
Topic locked

Spambots, spambots everywhere

Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:58 am

On one of my semi-yearly checks of this old place, I can't help but notice that it's been overrun by many accounts with gibberish names, posting things in a few boards that range from sort of making sense to just kind of being gibberish. Is there no one even left to clean up bots anymore? If PPT is truly at it's end, it should go honorably instead of being slowly buried in spammy garbage (but not before we say final goodbyes and share our Twitters and Tumblrs or whatever the kids are into these days). It just makes me a little bit sad.

Re: Spambots, spambots everywhere

Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:26 am

You think the forums have it bad.

Neodex deletion log

xx

Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:43 am

Blue stops by and cleans it up fairly regularly, but the spambots are multiplying. Adding some kind of confirmation for new members might make it a lot easier for the mods, but I think an admin would have to do that, and I haven't seen one of those on the boards in forever.

But there were a whole 4 of us participating in the GMC thread, so it's not all dead, just mostly dead. And when something's mostly dead, there's still hope. But it'll take a miracle. (And if you rush a miracleman, you get a lousy miracle.)

Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:59 pm

Both Combusken and I are cleaning up the spam on a nearly daily basis. You just happened to stop by on a uniquely bad day. Somebody in China got a new toy that allowed them to generate random names and post a spamload of junk. Each of their spams had exactly the same body. Their IP was banned, but it took a bit of time to clean up the posts because each post has a unique username. Kym was contacted about a stronger challenge for new sign-ups, but nothing yet.

Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:27 pm

Thanks, Blue and Combusken, for all your hard work! Does it make it easier if someone reports them, or will you just see them anyway? I usually only report one and figure you guys will see the rest.

Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:19 am

Feel free to continue reporting the spam posts. The reports make them jump out for us on the forums.

Thanks for the help :)

Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:43 am

Siniri wrote:But there were a whole 4 of us participating in the GMC thread, so it's not all dead, just mostly dead. And when something's mostly dead, there's still hope. But it'll take a miracle. (And if you rush a miracleman, you get a lousy miracle.)

You have won all my kudos for The Princess Bride reference. Take them! NOW!!! :evil:

Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:02 pm

Could we implement something where someone has to approve a new user, like at WGF? Or are there too many people joining all the time?

Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:31 am

domo_hello_kitty wrote:Could we implement something where someone has to approve a new user, like at WGF? Or are there too many people joining all the time?

Too many people joining. Not enough admins.

Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:21 am

Ah, it's cool that you guys are cleaning it up - I'll be sure to report any I see from now on to help y'all out.

Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:40 am

It seems like lately, whenever I go to report a post, someone else already has. Good teamwork, guys!
Topic locked