Pink Poogle Toy Forum

The official community of Pink Poogle Toy
Main Site
NeoDex
It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2024 6:48 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Warning: Linked forum scams
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:40 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

There has been a rather nasty person posting under several accounts and IPs links to fake login pages. Please: do not click any links posted by anybody you cannot trust 100%

We're working on getting rid of the person, but they're crafty and keep coming back - for now just don't click any links (even if they appear innocent)

Additionally, don't quote any post made by the person - it means we have to remove the link from your post as well. Its extra work that we don't have time for when we're desperately trying to clear the posts

Last edited by TDG on Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: WARNING - SCAM: YOU MAY LOSE YOUR ACCOUNT. PLEASE READ
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:24 am 
PPT God
PPT God

It's always a shame to see this kind of stuff happen here. I'll keep my guard up. I just wish there was a better way to stop this guy than just IP bans. =/ (or is there? it's been some time since I last worked with phpBB.)

"A lot of people run a race to see who is fastest. I run to see who has the most guts." - Steve Prefontaine

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:00 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Ski wrote:
It's always a shame to see this kind of stuff happen here. I'll keep my guard up. I just wish there was a better way to stop this guy than just IP bans. =/ (or is there? it's been some time since I last worked with phpBB.)

Not as far as I can tell. At the moment, it's taken care of. We'll just have to stay on our toes. ;)

Image Image
<3 Divas rock! Click to join. <3

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:21 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Location: Faster than a speeding IM! Stronger than an ox on steroids! Pinker than a bottle of Pepto-Bismol!
*shakes fist at those pesky scammers*

Great work everyone on containing the problem.

Hold onto your seats people... the SL is back.

Post subject: Re: Warning: Neopets account scam links on the forum
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:11 pm 

Glad you guys are taking care of it. Evil scammers! :x

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:29 pm 
PPT Trainee
PPT Trainee

Jas is my hero <3 She save PPT from the ebil spammer!

I once was Lost but now am Shadow, was blind but now I see.
Me: JAS SAVE PPT!
Jas: ugh. okay

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:41 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Shadow wrote:
Jas is my hero <3 She save PPT from the ebil spammer!

With help from the mods, of course! <3 I was IM'd about it all just as I got a fresh bowl of soup, too. :/ lol

Image Image

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:13 pm 
PPT Toddler
PPT Toddler

I'm sure someone probably already thought of this, but if the links are coming from the same domains, you could use a word filter to block the domain name...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:13 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

They're not coming from the same domain, but the usernames usually are something along the lines of neolover (though thats not guarenteed). We've got a few ideas on how to stop them, but no decent solutions as of such (more temporary fixes for the mean time)

Anyway, I've come up with a few "rules" in case it happens again (hopefully it won't). These are more guidelines than rules, and you shouldn't (barring extreme circumstances) be punished for not adhering to them, but it would be nice if you could follow them.

1. Do not quote any posts made by the scammer, it means we have to remove your post as well
  2. Do not PM the scammer (for any reason) or post any message directed at them (This one is serious guys, don't give them reason to want to target us even more)
  3. You may post a warning to members (EG: Do not click the above link, it is a scam and you may lose your account just from clicking it) but do not unnecessarily post on threads with a scam link posted in it, it just causes the topic to be bumped to the top of the page (causing more people to see, and possibly fall victim to, the scam
  4. Any/all moderators that are on will probably be stressed trying to remove the posts as they appear. Report the posts with the report feature and PM any online moderators if you feel it is needed and you believe they are not taking action, but don't expect a well-thought out or carefully planned response (if any) - if they have to PM you for any reason during that time, the PM will probably be rushed and possibly snippy due to stress
  5. Don't click any links you feel aren't safe. If you need to check what a link actually is, press the quote button and see if the link actually leads to the page it says it does. Or, hover your mouse above the link and check the status bar at the bottom of the page.

Remember, it's remarkably easy to fake a link on a forum like this. Don't believe, visit this page

http://www.neopets.com/nf.phtml

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:13 am 

Thanks the_dog_god I heard someone got their account stolen. I never click on links other than screenies, even then I still check the URL thing at the left corner of the screen.

Patrick did all the work in the campfire song song.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:03 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Location: Faster than a speeding IM! Stronger than an ox on steroids! Pinker than a bottle of Pepto-Bismol!
Great information TDG! Now... we need some superheroes here who will blast away those pesky scammers. Pudding, how about your trusty blaster?

Hold onto your seats people... the SL is back.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:26 am 
PPT God
PPT God

I tried to help with this the best I could. Even though my warning was removed quickly, I hope at least a few people read it. Anyway, glad she's been taken care of now.

"I am a sly cat, I am a summer wind, I am birds in flight, I am the sun, I am the sea, I am me!"

Neo account: ginger23456

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:39 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Ginger Harp Seal Pup wrote:
I tried to help with this the best I could. Even though my warning was removed quickly, I hope at least a few people read it. Anyway, glad she's been taken care of now.

Just to note, your warning was removed because it was not in a place to post such, as you were told. This is the proper thread to discuss. Thank you. :)

Image Image

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:50 am 
PPT God
PPT God

Jasujo wrote:
Ginger Harp Seal Pup wrote:

Just to note, your warning was removed because it was not in a place to post such, as you were told. This is the proper thread to discuss. Thank you. :)

Okay. I don't wish to argue with you. Thank you ^^

"I am a sly cat, I am a summer wind, I am birds in flight, I am the sun, I am the sea, I am me!"

Neo account: ginger23456

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:04 pm 

I always right click on the link, click properties, and I can see what page it goes to :)

Anyway, hope this problem goes away, but I won't get too hopeful.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next