Pink Poogle Toy Forum

The official community of Pink Poogle Toy
Main Site
NeoDex
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:41 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Several questions
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 9:57 pm 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

I've seen several features that I really like on other forums, and I thought I'd just make one thread for all of my callous demands.

1. A quick reply function: a little text entry box at the bottom, with submit, preview, smilies, and quote selected. Quote selected justs quotes whatever text happens to be selected.

2. Page jumping. A little text box where you can enter a page number and be immediately transported to it.

3. Self-modding for Coconut Isle. If I have a set contest, and it's over, I could lock it myself. Or, if I have a WW game, and I don't want people posting in it, I could lock it. Also allows me to split topics I started.

Any of these a remote possibility?

Post subject: Re: Several questions
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 10:25 pm 
PPT Trainee
PPT Trainee

I've seen those features on vBulliten, but I'm sure they can be found on phpBB through add-ons.

Set by the WIS, the ORIGINAL House Stalker!

When I see his posts, I fill with righteous rage. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 10:39 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

Location: I don't know, but there'd better be chocolate. [art by Fiddelysquat]
Page jumping would be nice on threads over 10 pages. I hate having to click around forever on those threads.
(And I know that most threads are split at 10, but sometimes there's no one available to split a thread, or it just gets really big, or something.)

"Oh, better far to live and die/Under the brave black flag I fly/Than play a sanctimonious part/With a pirate head and a pirate heart."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 11:58 pm 

Sounds like a good idea, but I can see some complications arising. Mainly people locking for no reason, splitting too often or too early. But if the "power" is given to people who have been members of the forum for a while (a couple weeks or so) then it has some potential.

The quick reply is nice for people who have slow computers (not a problem for me thankfully)

And the page jump is nice because I hate clicking like that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 12:49 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Self modding will never happen on these forums. It would absolutely be abused. If you see a thread that needs splitting/locking, PM a staff member who can do so.

Evisceration is a sign of respect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 1:42 am 

ahoteinrun wrote:
Self modding will never happen on these forums. It would absolutely be abused. If you see a thread that needs splitting/locking, PM a staff member who can do so.

Nicely put inrun. As I said, I can imagine the abuse. Just like a Report button is abused.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 8:03 am 
PPT God
PPT God

I've always thought that the quick reply function just undermines the need for a full reply page. Who would press "post reply" anymore if you could just reply at the bottom of the page? =/

However, I do like the page-jumping idea :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 6:59 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

_jade_em_ wrote:
I've always thought that the quick reply function just undermines the need for a full reply page. Who would press "post reply" anymore if you could just reply at the bottom of the page? =/

... me?

I dunno, maybe I'm just used to the regular reply page and so have never really tried using the quick reply :P

*goes and looks at one*
Oh, and there's no preview :P

<3 Laq

Post subject: Re: Several questions
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 7:31 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Uncle Xyzzy wrote:
1. A quick reply function: a little text entry box at the bottom, with submit, preview, smilies, and quote selected. Quote selected justs quotes whatever text happens to be selected.

No.

Uncle Xyzzy wrote:
2. Page jumping. A little text box where you can enter a page number and be immediately transported to it.

Maybe.

Uncle Xyzzy wrote:
3. Self-modding for Coconut Isle. If I have a set contest, and it's over, I could lock it myself. Or, if I have a WW game, and I don't want people posting in it, I could lock it. Also allows me to split topics I started.

No.

Will you stop with the honour stuff?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 7:43 pm 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

I don't really see the problems with a quick reply or self moderating, at least, locking threads. It's never been a problem on any of the forums I've been on. I actually find the quick reply button very handy, and always take the chance to use it, if I have the option. I don't see how it's negative in anyway. I'd seem possibly more problem with the self moderating, but I don't understand why people think there would be abuse of the system. In what ways can people abuse it?

Click the wonderful signature. You know you want to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 7:49 pm 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

Pixa wrote:
I don't really see the problems with a quick reply or self moderating, at least, locking threads. It's never been a problem on any of the forums I've been on. I actually find the quick reply button very handy, and always take the chance to use it, if I have the option.

To be honest, posts should be thought out and pondered over. If your response does not merit you waiting any more than a second or so for a seperate page to load. You shouldn't be posting it.

kudos sasha+gregory // PPT's Unofficial President

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 7:57 pm 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

Not all posts really need to be thought about and pondered... e.g. voting in werewolf, stating what song is stuck in your head etc. For those things, quick reply would be very handy.

ImageImage

Boom-shaka-laka! Rawr come and join us in the Randomness
Sig Halloween'd by Tom!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 8:04 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Anoohilator wrote:
Not all posts really need to be thought about and pondered... e.g. voting in werewolf, stating what song is stuck in your head etc. For those things, quick reply would be very handy.

Thats not a huge part of the boards though. And I don't see how one could have quick reply for some things and not for others.

Self moderating will never work, there is a vast potential for abuse. How would you determine who could moderate what? It would only create more work for the staff, and would get more people in trouble. No. No no no no no. No.

Evisceration is a sign of respect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 8:06 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

Location: I don't know, but there'd better be chocolate. [art by Fiddelysquat]
To be fair, it takes my computer about 45 seconds to load the reply page. I write my response in Notepad while I'm waiting.
I hate Quick Reply boxes, though. They just feel way too informal, as ridiculous as that sounds. When I write something in a quick reply, I usually don't check it for errors or anything, and then I feel like an idiot when I actually see my message and it makes no sense.
(On here, I INTEND for my messages to make no sense. It's an art form nobody notices.)

"Oh, better far to live and die/Under the brave black flag I fly/Than play a sanctimonious part/With a pirate head and a pirate heart."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 8:33 pm 
PPT Trainee
PPT Trainee

siouxper wrote:
ahoteinrun wrote:

Nicely put inrun. As I said, I can imagine the abuse. Just like a Report button is abused.

I have to disagree on that mentality.

Some people abuse forums, and post inappropriate material; but that doesn't stop PinkPT having forums, does it?

Just my 2 cents.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next