This board is for anything to do with the Pink Poogle Toy Forum. If you have a question or want to suggest any ideas, then this is the place to do it.
Topic locked

Why not vBulletin?

Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:03 am

I see Pinkpt is still running phpbb, and I believe and find that this is funny that a huge neopets community is still running phpbb.

Heck, I'll even fork out the money for pinkpt to purchase a vbulletin license.
Just contact me Yuko (mailto:cpvrxx@gmail.com)

Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:56 am

Considering that this is free and that there are no issues...there is no reason to change I think. Anyway, it'll be ridiculous if we have to go through all that again, all the repeat threads and gah.

Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:03 am

I don't see anything wrong with phpbb :P

Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:37 pm

No, see, the question is: Why vBulletin?

Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:34 pm

Precisely. This is a great forum system. It's well organised and it does the job. And I highly doubt that ANYONE wants a repeat of the forum crash.

Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:11 pm

Why pay for a system when the current one is running fine? Besides, the forum has run off phpBB for a few years. Plus, we'd have to start from scratch.

Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:59 pm

I think there is convertor software avaliable for moving from phpBB to vBulletin but I've never done it and I don't know how difficult it is.

phpBB seems to be doing fine for now though I wouldn't complain if it was moved to vBulletin. vBulletin does have some drawbacks too.

Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:30 am

vB is a nice software, but phpBB is sufficient enough. I see no very compelling reason to make a move. PhpBB can be adapted if ever much of a problem presents itself due to growth. Just look at Gaia and how its owner has customized his forum to better handle the enormous activity (as recorded here). There's plenty of forums significantly larger than this one using phpBB that run very well, including the one I already mentioned, phpBB.com forum itself, and StarDestroyer.net. And take into account that a much more efficient and still free phpBB Olympus is coming out soon. . .

Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:06 am

Hunter Lupe wrote:No, see, the question is: Why vBulletin?
vBulletin puts phpbb to shame with its security and features.

Enough said.

Why pay for a system when the current one is running fine? Besides, the forum has run off phpBB for a few years. Plus, we'd have to start from scratch.

Nope, phpBB can be converted to vbulletin.

Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:33 am

cpvr wrote:

How much security do you need on a forum?

Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:47 am

Paul wrote:
cpvr wrote:

How much security do you need on a forum?

Maybe just enough to prevent Turkish hackers from easily defacing it...

Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:52 pm

I some how don't see this as a major target for Turkish hackers. Unless they're either a) really bored, b) really drunk, c) mistake this board for a vital security network (ie; really dumb) or d) some combination involving letters "a" and "b".

Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:04 pm

Teelie wrote:I some how don't see this as a major target for Turkish hackers. Unless they're either a) really bored, b) really drunk, c) mistake this board for a vital security network (ie; really dumb) or d) some combination involving letters "a" and "b".

An ABBA fangirl forum? Yeah, I'm pretty sure Turkish hackers are totally hatin' ABBA.

Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:07 pm

Paul wrote:
Teelie wrote:I some how don't see this as a major target for Turkish hackers. Unless they're either a) really bored, b) really drunk, c) mistake this board for a vital security network (ie; really dumb) or d) some combination involving letters "a" and "b".

An ABBA fangirl forum? Yeah, I'm pretty sure Turkish hackers are totally hatin' ABBA.

*giggle*

But, yeah, I agree with the others. Why switch if what we have is fine? If what we have wasn't fine, then I could see the point of switching, but it's not. So yeah. Pointless.

Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:21 pm

*yawns*

I see no reason to change. However, if this becomes one of those "I'm going to hack the forum to prove you wrong about having this kind of board" then i'll be rather miffed.
Topic locked