This board is for anything to do with the Pink Poogle Toy Forum. If you have a question or want to suggest any ideas, then this is the place to do it.
Topic locked

Name Changing Hack

Fri Jul 02, 2004 4:26 am

Is the name changing hack going to be implemented again?

Fri Jul 02, 2004 5:05 am

Let's pray it will be.

Fri Jul 02, 2004 5:31 am

Personally, I don't think it's that much of a deal if the hack isn't reinstalled. Most of the name changes I've seen happen have been either fads or annoying events because of the CCC and/or the ASP. Both of those things irritate me, as it's not really necessary IMO.

Fri Jul 02, 2004 5:54 am

Its also needed for those that actually want to change their username for a reason.

Fri Jul 02, 2004 5:57 am

I'm sure that it'll be added eventually... but I think the Admins are doing more essential invisible hacks at the moment, aren't they?

Just be patient with the name you've chosen.

Fri Jul 02, 2004 6:02 am

I agree with Alex on this one. There really isn't any big reason to have your name changed, besides to annoy people or celebrate a holiday. :P

Fri Jul 02, 2004 6:15 am

Most of the mods don't want it back...it's pretty much hassling to track people down, especially when they pull a name switch with someone else or if they change it radically.

And I remember a situation where I almost kicked people out of the guys group in confusion of that. Definitely not beneficial enough to cover the cons, at least in my opinion.

Fri Jul 02, 2004 12:19 pm

OMG, never will I dawn the name werepup unless it's reinstalled. Oh well, I suppose I just have to remember to put it in my sig.

Fri Jul 02, 2004 3:57 pm

id love to have it back, it was one of m,y favorite features...
-TeASPted, Perfect Snow, EXTREME! Mr. Perfect

Fri Jul 02, 2004 4:09 pm

It's not a hack.

It's a checkbox in the administration panel to allow members to change their name or not.

I think it's a stupid idea to be allowed. If you really want to change your name, you can just PM a Super Moderator or Administrator to change it.

Fri Jul 02, 2004 4:52 pm

ZH! wrote:I agree with Alex on this one. There really isn't any big reason to have your name changed, besides to annoy people or celebrate a holiday. :P

You agree with yourself? :P

Yoshi wrote:Most of the mods don't want it back...it's pretty much hassling to track people down, especially when they pull a name switch with someone else or if they change it radically.

And I remember a situation where I almost kicked people out of the guys group in confusion of that. Definitely not beneficial enough to cover the cons, at least in my opinion.

I remember that. I can't imagine how hard it would be for the mods to keep track of the members, especially if a member changes their name to avoid punishment.

Fri Jul 02, 2004 4:57 pm

Christopher wrote:Its also needed for those that actually want to change their username for a reason.

Exactly. The CCC needs it so we can do our events, which we've got a long list of, and without name changing, it's impossible.

Fri Jul 02, 2004 5:07 pm

I don't think it should come back because everybody will start changing their name to ASP or CCC and it'll be ridiculously annoying.

Fri Jul 02, 2004 5:11 pm

Cheese wrote:
Christopher wrote:Its also needed for those that actually want to change their username for a reason.

Exactly. The CCC needs it so we can do our events, which we've got a long list of, and without name changing, it's impossible.

Correction. You don't need it. You want it. There's a difference.

If you read Yoshi's post, you'll see that many of the staff are against it, and for good reason. I don't think that wanting to change the names for events will be enough to change the admin's minds.

Fri Jul 02, 2004 5:12 pm

It's for this reason that I think it shouldn't be allowed.
It was an abuse of the ability.
Some people, legitimately wanted to change their name, and then the CCC and ASP would go and do multi name changes, or people would switch names without telling anyone else... and it's incredibly hard to deal with.
Others would also change names to "avoid" getting in trouble (note, this DOES NOT WORK).
Unfortunately, for people like me the bad far outways the good of allowing name changes.
Topic locked