Pink Poogle Toy Forum

The official community of Pink Poogle Toy
Main Site
NeoDex
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:32 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:10 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

JCMidore wrote:
Edit: Does anyone think the quickness and overall completion time of this plot was fast because Neopets was bought by a large company?. The plots and interaction related activities are one of the reasons why Neopets is so loved -- could they be pushing plots a little more considering they see it as players + plots + envolvement = money/profit?.

I think people are too quick to jump on the big "OMG NEO IS DYING BECAUSE OF CORPORATIONS!!" train nowadays. Yes, things like the google bar (Uggghhhhh...) are the result of making Neopets a business, not a fun site, but its not like Adam and Donna call google and ask them how they should write their plots. This plot was probably put together to link the site with the Playstation II game. They had linked the Darkest Faerie part with the last plot, and have now added Sophie and her backstory through this plot

I don't think we'll ever see a real war again, I think Neopets is too nervous to go down that path after the hassles they've had in the past. Really, they've never really done a war "right", and its getting harder and harder to make one "right" with the new intake of users. People live in the glory days of Neo, proclaiming how great the first Meridell/Darigan war was, but in reality, it had its big problems too. The flash comic aspect of it made the parts (especially the "end" of the war and beginning of the darigan fight) far between. The Battledome lagged then too. People look at it fondly because the newer wars have had much bigger problems:

Battle for Merivale:- Limited challengers. Lag was a huge problem

Hannah and the Ice Caves:- The prizes sucked. No other way of saying it, they gave the same prize for everybody that got between 0 and 2000 points. They sucked.

Curse of Maraqua:- Ranks. Giving the same prizes out to all ranks.

I doubt they'll ever attempt a full scale war again, so they'll try to weave it into plots like they did this time, however, that causes conflict in the sense that, as in previous plots (Altador Constellations etc), people don't like it when the puzzle parts take ages to be released, and when they are released, they take about an hour to work out, then people want the next step. However, when you are trying to work the comic sections around the puzzle release times, and the opponents around the comic sections, you get problems in the fact that either the battledome challengers are released for too little time, the puzzles are out for too long or the comic doesn't make sense as the villains follow the main characters around.

Yes, this plot didn't have a very good conclusion, but it was a full plot none-the-less. We had the beginning (town cursed, Spirit of Slumber sends them away), Middle (Gilly/Sophie/Bruno) and end (Town uncursed). I think they could have tied up more loose threads at the end, but ultimately, stories aren't supposed to when they begin with "its no surprise there are so many myths and legends that surround the place..." I think what people need to realise is the tale was just that, a tale. It wasn't an event unfolding before us, it was a big ol' dusty book with a myth/legend in it that we sat to and listened to. I think you'll find most fairy tales don't fill every hole with information, like the woodcutter in Red Riding Hood yanking them from the stomach, how the heck does that work?

The plot was short, yes, but if it was longer, people would complain. I mean, we still had one heck of a long walkthrough to get through it all. I think part of the speedy problem was the fact they had given themselves the deadline of the townsfolk appearing on Halloween (which I think they accidentally missed, but they couldn't bank on everybody's actions - it was hard enough organizing a Werewolf game with 25ish people to end on the date I wanted), but realistically, when its a free site, we can't complain about the plots they put on. There's no obligation to do them

People need to realise that, yes, Neopets will be making more pay options, such as the "buy items with real money" and whatnot, but many other sites already do this (even joke sites, like Kingdom of Loathing do this), we don't have pop-ups (much) on Neopets and they don't care if we adblock the ads. Realistically, yes, its not as great as it was a few years back without ads and whatnot, but those were the glory days. If they didn't get worse, we couldn't reminisce over them. Times change, business' decide making profit would be a good thing. News flash, people like money, even bored (ex)college students that dreamt of a world with gradient filled pets and whatnot. Things may not be as great as they were, but everything that we dislike doesn't come back to the fact that Neo is being run more as a business now.

And that's my two dollars and 2 cents.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:32 pm 

Actually, do give them SOME credit. We all know how much work is involved with the drawing of the comic and the conceptulaization of the plot. Not to mention writting the puzzles for us to solve. Then there will be the uphill tasks of alloting points fairly to make sure people get their just rewards.

Remember guys, Neo is free, there is nothing to say that they MUST give us plot and prizes any other time.

Humans: Ugly Bags of Mostly Water

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:42 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

also, re what tdg said, people complain when puzzle parts are released a long time apart and then only take an hour to complete - they also complain if they take too long to complete - TNT cant win!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:47 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

The only solution? Mass freezings. If there aren't any users, there can't be any complaints...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:54 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

but they'd also loose all their jobs :P

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7