Pink Poogle Toy Forum

The official community of Pink Poogle Toy
Main Site
NeoDex
It is currently Sun Jun 30, 2024 10:28 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Return of Dr Sloth [Split 5]
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:58 am 
PPT Student
PPT Student

cybertrini wrote:
I just spoke to a friend of mine and they didn't know a new plot was out. Does anyone know if you haven't done the Maintenance Tunnels yet, can you still do them, or do you have to start at the Military Decryption stage?

I don't know... In past plots, you started at the beginning and had to catch up, but I'm not sure about this one. Probably though.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:03 am 

Here's the way I did it. This will work for any type of problem:

-Figure out what each combination of 2 symbols gets you. For instance, if you add B + Z, you get V. You don't need to calculate them for three and four.

-Find a symbol that shows up the most in your result, then use the information from the first part to figure out every possible combination of symbols that could create your target symbol in a column. The number of symbols used is the number of modifiers plus the starting line, so 4 symbols in a combination for the last 10 puzzles.

EDIT: You can use a petpage chart to figure out all of these combinations as well.

-For one symbol, cross off the combinations that do not include the starting symbol in that position (as they can't be made), then eliminate it from the remaining ones. You should now have a bunch of combinations of three symbols that, added to the one at the top, will form the desired symbol at the bottom.

-Write all possible combinations of modifiers that will give you that result. You don't have to write every one out; you can put them in columns.

-Repeat the above two steps for every instance the desired symbol occurs in the result. Ideally, you will wind up with overlapping sets of combinations. Find the combinations that are common to every set, and one of them should be the answer.

-While you do this, occasionally check to see if the combinations you're using actually add up to the desired symbols so that you don't wind up wasting a lot of time.

I suspect that the program written and banned earlier used a system like this, but with more symbols and combinations. You can call this method "targeted brute force."

IDB Rater, Pink Inker

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:13 am 
PPT God
PPT God

That's actually the system I used for most of my messages. :)

It just really helps to write things down. I used tons of post-it notes and had them on the walls around my laptop, lol.

Please help my dragons grow and give a click!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:14 am 
PPT Toddler
PPT Toddler

It seems as if the blue berry page doesn't work for me.
I was referencing a certain conbination, and granted each combination came to the same result, it was a different result than on the pet page.
Is this happening for anyone else?

Edit: Uhhh...I'm really confused. I'm doing the 3-mods and I found a combination that gave me the first symbol I needed, but when I tried a different string with the same first symbol I used previously, it came up with a different result. So I went and tried the first string I used and came up with a different result from the first time I tried it. I tried it several times and it's giving me different results each time Am I missing something here???

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:27 am 
PPT God
PPT God

Eternal Serena wrote:
It seems as if the blue berry page doesn't work for me.
I was referencing a certain conbination, and granted each combination came to the same result, it was a different result than on the pet page.
Is this happening for anyone else?

Edit: Uhhh...I'm really confused. I'm doing the 3-mods and I found a combination that gave me the first symbol I needed, but when I tried a different string with the same first symbol I used previously, it came up with a different result. So I went and tried the first string I used and came up with a different result from the first time I tried it. I tried it several times and it's giving me different results each time Am I missing something here???

You may be doing a puzzle that you're not intended to do yet. You have to do some of the easier 3-mods before you can do the harder ones. The correct ones will keep the same result every time, so just search around until you find a puzzle that gives you consistant results.

*Edit* I don't know if this is what you're referrencing, but the Blue Berry page only works for the 2-mods. The codes change once you get into 3-mod puzzles. (The charmander page has all the easy 3-mod combos.)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:32 am 
PPT Toddler
PPT Toddler

I made my first post when I was still on the 2-mods. The chart wasn't matching up for me, so I had to find the combinations by myself. :)

Do you mean there's some 3 mods where the results are different and some 3 mods that are easy and the results are the same? If the results keep changing then there's way too many combinations for me to possibly get through this. I'm still confused about the 3 mods...One string gives me several different results each time I try. :(

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:36 am 

Once we get the right code and we get our message, do we need to write the message down or is it not something we need to remember? If we have to keep them how have others been saving them?

(`'•.¸(`'•.¸*¤*¸.•'´)¸.•'´)
«´¨`•.¤*Kathryn *¤.•´¨`»
(¸.•'´(¸.•'´*¤*`'•.¸)`'•.¸)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:36 am 
PPT God
PPT God

Eternal Serena wrote:
I made my first post when I was still on the 2-mods. The chart wasn't matching up for me, so I had to find the combinations by myself. :)

Do you mean there's some 3 mods where the results are different and some 3 mods that are easy and the results are the same? If the results keep changing then there's way too many combinations for me to possibly get through this. I'm still confused about the 3 mods...One string gives me several different results each time I try. :(

No problem, just wanted to be sure. :)

Yep, that's exactly what I'm saying. Only certain 3-mods are actually solveable once you finish the 2-mods. Once you get a few of the 'easy' 3-mods, the hard ones will become solveable. If the results keeps changing, you've got the wrong puzzle. Just try each puzzle until you get one that doesn't change.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:39 am 
PPT Baby
PPT Baby

If the puzzle says INCOMPLETE DATA, then you can't solve it yet. It will just give random results each time. Go back and find one that doesn't say incomplete.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:40 am 
PPT Toddler
PPT Toddler

Ooooooh I understand what you mean now.
Thank you so much for clarifying that!! I p thought all the 3 mods would be solveable after the 2 mods were done. Thank you!

Edit: You were right Nekopan, it says "Incomplete Data". I didn't even look for it. haha Thank you both :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:48 am 
PPT God
PPT God

You're most welcome. :)

kathrynmw1 wrote:
Once we get the right code and we get our message, do we need to write the message down or is it not something we need to remember? If we have to keep them how have others been saving them?

As far as we know, everyone gets the same messages, and I believe they're only there as a little something extra for the users, but it certainly wouldn't hurt to save them somewhere.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:02 am 
PPT Toddler
PPT Toddler

Dude these 3 mods suck!

I was lucky and got my first one done quickly, but this second one...ugh! It's horrible.
I don't suppose there's any advice that hasn't been given yet...?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:19 am 
PPT Student
PPT Student

I know what I'm doing, now I just have to see if I can explain it. I'm on the 3 mods. First off I call the symbols what they look like to me, mushroom, x, c, etc... I look at the last symbol of my key and the last symbol of my target. Example: Mushroom and 8. Then I look at the charmander chart and see all the things that will turn a mushroom into an 8. Like CC8. I look at my list, find the first line that ends in C. Put it in mod 1 space. Then I find the second ending in C line and put it in 2. Then I try all the ending in 8 lines in space 3. If that doesn't work, I change mod 2 to the third line ending in C and run through all the ending is 8s again. And on and on. If I get through all that then I switch mod 1 to the second ending in C line and keep up the process. If I get through it all with no results, I look for the next combo that changes a mushroom into an 8 and repeat it again. Lots of mindless plugging so I don't have to think (intelligent brute force). And I don't have to whip out paper which is always a plus in my book.
Another thing I think it's important to note that the order doesn't matter. If CC8 works, so will 8CC and C8C. Less overall combos to try that way.

Last edited by Cilian on Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:27 am 
PPT Toddler
PPT Toddler

Yeah...that's what I started doing...it takes so long. I hope I have the patience to get through all these 3 mods.
So wait...with the pet page, it's last symbols I look for, not the first?

Edit: Urgh...this is just not working. Not all the combinations from the pet page are working for me by matching the first symbols. If I match the last symbols, then the last result symbol is the symbol I want for the first one for my target. This is very frustrating.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:36 am 
PPT Student
PPT Student

Eternal Serena wrote:
Yeah...that's what I started doing...it takes so long. I hope I have the patience to get through all these 3 mods.
So wait...with the pet page, it's last symbols I look for, not the first?

I do last just because it's easier for my eyes to scan. I don't think it really makes a difference first or last. And maybe I'm just lucky, but I just got my third one in under five minutes with the technique.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next