Main Site
NeoDex
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:48 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Altador Cup XVIII (2023)
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 7:53 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Sign-ups started today for the Altador Cup. Go HERE to sign up! If it doesn't show the map to sign up, hard refresh your page (ctrl + F5 or shift + F5, depending on your browser).
Some things of note:
Rules wrote:
This year, team sign-ups and practice starts on May 23rd. The team sign-ups will last until end of day June 5th. This session is then followed by a two round tournament schedule that runs until July 3rd. The schedule consists of 2 game rounds with four practice days included.

*Be sure to join a team before sign-ups close end of day June 5th!
*Every win counts and adds to the overall score so be sure to play hard from Round 1, Day 1 itself!
*This year, there will also be four practice days within the tournament. The first two practice days will happen on the 6th day and the 13th day from Day 1 and the next two practice days will be before the Final Round begins. Practice days will occur when Round Robin and Final Round are not in session.

Basic Staff Tournament Info:
Quote:
The Altador Cup Staff Tournament will begin on June 7th and end on July 5th. Results will be announced each Friday.
You'll be able to make changes to your team at any time until midnight (12:00 AM NST) each Friday. After that, you will not be able to make any more changes to your team until after the results are announced on Friday afternoon.
Once you've got a full team in the "Your Team" area, the "Choose This Team" button will activate and you can click it to finalise your team picks.
If you want to change your team, click on the "Change Team" button to make your new selections. If you want to keep your team as is the next week, press the "Keep Team" button.

-------
Signups started a few days earlier this year than they have been. We have an insane amount of time before we start actually playing for points.

As always, I have joined the Rooligans. Got another RI frame and...
Quote:
Lilo Blumario: Also... Welcome back! For your 17 years of dedicated play you have earned the prizes below:
Image Altador Cup Neon Sign

I don't know how much I'll play after the fiasco of last year. We'll see what I feel up to, I guess.

ETA: Also, apparently Dacardia isn't an option after all (despite all the info that they were supposedly going to be)...but they got a NC item anyway? Really confused by this... :P (But at the same time, I'm not surprised that they didn't end up with an actual team.)

Set by KiTeNcHeTu!
Find me at WGF, where werewolf rocks!

Post subject: Re: Altador Cup XVIII (2023)
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 2:05 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I know I'm double posting, but I feel this deserves its own post and to not be clumped in with the first post.

News May 25 wrote:
Hi Neopians! It's almost time for one of our favourite events of the year: The Altador Cup!

We wanted to take some time to clear up a few things in order to make this year's Altador Cup the best one yet!

1) Unfortunately, the Dacardia team is too preoccupied helping their community rebuild and has decided to focus their efforts on the restoration of Dacardia instead of joining in the Altador Cup this year. So, we will be sticking to the normal 18 teams for Altador Cup XVIII. You can, however, find team Dacardia gear in the NC Mall if you still want to support!

2) All users will be getting a fresh start in the games this year. We are working on taking measures to keep this event as fair as possible. Thank you for your patience in this matter.

3) If you have any questions regarding this year's Altador Cup, feel free to submit a ticket here.

NOTE: Please categorize your ticket as "Altador Cup" to ensure the most timely response!

As always, we appreciate your support as we begin to gear up for this highly anticipated event. May the best team win!

ETA Wed May 24, 2023 1:02 pm:

....does this mean all the shadow bans have been removed?!?! I'll be watching for confirmation, but it sure sounds like it. :o :o :o

ETA2:

As of now, the bans are still up. Maybe that'll change before the cup starts?

Set by KiTeNcHeTu!

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 2:10 pm 
Way Beyond Godly
Way Beyond Godly

Interesting. I don't think I'm shadow-banned, but I don't know how you would know. If you were, I guess you would just play for prize points and send minimum scores in all the games, since you don't matter to your team, then.

Blue graffitied on my signature... But it made me laugh, so it's all good!

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 2:42 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Thu May 25, 2023 9:47 am :

I was given the impression that some of the team "leads" from last year were given a list of names of those on their team who were banned by the person who identified that there were bans.

I have no idea if I was banned, either. I certainly didn't make it to quad all-star - apparently the majority of those who did were on the ban list, but so were many others. Sigh.

I'm actually hoping they go back to captchas this year. Whatever nonsense they were using last year....I'm starting to get flashes of remembrance of the frustration of my scores not going through for so many of the games...ugh. I'd rather deal with a captcha semi-often than have multiple scores in a row not go through!

Update 5/28: According to our friendly source, the bans are cleared!

Set by KiTeNcHeTu!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:21 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Favorite Cheese: Mozzerella String Cheese
I too went Roo. Easier than making new signatures ;)

ETA: Tempted to buy the Roo Popcorn in the NC Mall. After the recent(?) NC giveaways, I have a lot of NC to spend.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:03 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Hot off the press:
The Official Neopets Team Message Board wrote:
Hi Neopians, we have an update on the Altador Cup!

Because we know how time-consuming this event can be, we decided to implement a quick quality-of-life change. We are scaling down the maximum games cap and rank requirements by 25% and adjusting the Prize Pool proportionally. You can still play all of your same favourite games, but without as much of the burnout... and you will reap all the same benefits! We hope this helps you better lead your team to victory this year!

:o :o :o

Anyways, just wanted to share. Last day of sign-ups is today, AC starts tomorrow!

Set by KiTeNcHeTu!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:11 pm 
Way Beyond Godly
Way Beyond Godly

I wish it were half (and a quarter for SlSl). 25% doesn't actually make even numbers, so I wonder what the new caps will be. Hopefully they round down for the total number needed -- and adjust the number of games needed for ranking accordingly, too!

EDIT: PLEASE BE CAREFUL AND CHECK THE BOARDS BEFORE PLAYING! One or more of the games are counting for plays but NOT for rank points (and it's different for everyone). So please check after every game that your work is counting.

Also, AS has been reduced to 6600 rank points (if you can earn them).

I'm focusing on dailies and other real life stuff so I can game when this stuff is fixed.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:12 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Working theory on caps (but not proven due to the current issues):
YYB: 34
SOSD & MSN: 301 (may be 299?)
SS: 65

Regarding the score submission mess:
The current theory on the boards is that somehow last year's numbers are still in the system. So, if you maxed out, for instance, on SOSD, you're already maxed out for it for today and no more scores count. If you played say, 300ish SOSD, you're maxed out already as well, as that's where the new cap would be. But if you only played 50 SOSD, you'd be able to get in like 250ish, as you're under the cap.

If the above theory is correct, I won't be able to play ANY SOSD, since I believe I maxed out every (or nearly every) day last year.

Hopefully TNT will get this fixed sooner than later. I haven't started playing yet, but my kiddos have, and the one that did have an account and played last year is running into trouble with scores not counting. I'm with you, Siniri, dealing with other stuff first, and then I'll revisit this later in the day.

What a mess.

ETA: It might be fixed? I'm giving it some time. The kiddos want to watch HP4 (since LLP just finished reading it this morning) so we'll do that before any of us try again.

Set by KiTeNcHeTu!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:39 pm 
Way Beyond Godly
Way Beyond Godly

I quad maxed one day last year. Can't remember if it was the last day, but most likely, so... I'm definitely waiting until it's fixed!

I think your theory makes a lot of sense because a lot of people seem to have to play their least favorite games.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:31 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

BLP attempted another YYB game but he's still stuck at the same number of sends...which is now 11 lower than the number of games he's actually played. Sigh. Looks like it's only fixed for some people, but not others. Hopefully TNT gets their act together sooner than later and fixes this.

ETA:
The Official Neopets Team Message Board wrote:
6 Jun 2023 - 1:03 pm
Hi Neopians! We have another update regarding the Altador Cup-

We want to apologize for any inconveniences you may have experienced this morning. To be transparent, there was some lingering data from last year's Altador Cup that caused issues today as we went into a new season. These issues affected users' play counts. This specifically affected those who played on the first day of the Cup last year. A few fixes have been implemented:

1. Users who could not play at all this year, due to hitting max plays last year, have had their stats cleared.
2. Users who had some plays from last year, but not max plays, have had their scores fixed to accurately reflect today's scores.

All users and teams were fairly affected by this inconvenience- so we will not be extending or redoing today's matchups. Thank you for your patience as we worked to remedy the problem! Please continue to reach out with any issues you may experience!
Just now saw this. Kids are off at TKD so I'll have BLP check when he gets back to see if it's working again. Maybe it actually is? Neoboard users are giving mixed reports of it actually being the case, despite being over an hour later now.

Set by KiTeNcHeTu!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:03 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Favorite Cheese: Mozzerella String Cheese
What a mess!

For what it's worth, I was in zero danger of being maxed out from last year. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:23 pm 
Way Beyond Godly
Way Beyond Godly

Pickles, it wasn't automatic for some, so they had to send in a ticket to get theirs reset. TNT is handling them as fast as they can.

Like Blue, I'm not at huge risk of hitting the max, except for SOSD.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:56 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Sigh. BLP tried again and no such luck. I put in a ticket for him. Here's hoping he gets all the games back that he put in....but I'm not counting on that. Sigh. Poor kiddo. Rough start for him. Younger two had zero issues because they didn't have accounts last year.

Since I waited until later in the day, it would appear that my account got cleared out of the potential issue before I started playing. One time I'm glad I didn't try to get stuff done earlier in the day.

Set by KiTeNcHeTu!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 3:53 am 
Way Beyond Godly
Way Beyond Godly

Yeah, my account seems to be okay, too. I surpassed where I should have been blocked in SOSD. I think this is the most I've done in a Cup on Day 1; somehow, the caps being lower has made me more enthusiastic.

From what I've heard, the games that you played beyond the max weren't really captured, so they were wasted. If your scores were cleared early enough in the day, you could go ahead and redo them (I know someone who ended up having to redo 23 YYB games because they're in Europe and rushed to play games before work, and they seemed to be counting).

Hopefully BLP was able to play some of the other games and get some rank scores that way. (Do you know about holding down the right letter in MSN, so you only have to tap the left one? If you alternate fingers as you tap, it's not so terrible. Definitely send minimum scores.)

Hopefully TNT cleared out all the scores for the other days as well while they were at it. This kind of mistake should be embarrassing for their biggest event of the year. Here's hoping it's the worst one this year (I'd say only, but let's not set ourselves up for inevitable disappointment).

Edit: just heard that some people had to clear cache/cookies to get their scores to count again. Just in case it's still an issue tomorrow...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 4:01 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Yeah, I was afraid he'd lose the extra games that didn't show up. :( One person claimed they got theirs back, but I think it's more that they didn't realize that the side tally no longer updates while you play (like it used to before they updated to the new site format for the AC). I had him do a hard refresh on all the different pages, too, but that didn't make a difference. We'll go to clearing the cache, etc, tomorrow, if there's still an issue.

I did suggest he try some of the others, but I'm not sure how much heart he put into it after losing so many YYB games. I'll recommend the trick for MSN to all my kiddos...and give BLP extra time on the computer tomorrow so he can max out on YYB if he wants. We're not starting school back up until next week, so he's got a little time to recoup the loses from today.

These seem to be the caps (though I'm not sure Slushie Slinger has been confirmed - pretty sure the others have been at this point)

YYB: 35
SOSD & MSN: 301
SS: 65

I expect the inevitable disappointment. This was a really bad start for the year. If it'd started with the cap reductions alone, I'd be a lot more optimistic, but today's scoring mess...yeah, that was totally messed up. And them saying it affected everyone equally...technically it did, but they're not accounting for the fact that those in different time zones missed out on playing if they were affected and went to bed before things were fixed.

Set by KiTeNcHeTu!