Pink Poogle Toy Forum

The official community of Pink Poogle Toy
Main Site
NeoDex
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:13 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Need major html help....
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 1:57 am 
I just started to learn a little html and I woud like to make a shop blog, I've been to lissaexplains and soupfairie.com to read about the basics, but now I'm stuck...

I took a look at a standard neopets shop blog to see if I understood it a little. I made the bits I don't understand bold and I hope someone can explains those parts to me.

<div align="center"><table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="300" height="425" background="http://images.neopets.com/shopblogs/zaffyhide.gif"><tr><td width="300" height="222" colspan="3"> </td></tr><tr><td width="4" height="199"></td><td width="292" height="199"><div style="width: 292; height: 199; overflow: auto; font-family: Verdana, Tahoma, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 11px; color: #000000;scrollbar-arrow-color:#FFFFFF; scrollbar-track-color:#517CFD; scrollbar-face-color:#0033FF; scrollbar-highlight-color:#517CFD; scrollbar-3dlight-color:#0033FF; scrollbar-darkshadow-color:#1334BA; scrollbar-shadow-color:#0033FF;"><div style="padding: 5px;">

THIS IS WHERE ALL YOUR SPIFFY TEXT GOES.

<br></div></div></td><td width="4" height="99"></td></tr><tr><td width="300" height="4" colspan="3"></td></tr></table></div>

What do all those widths and heights do, what is "colspan" and why are there multiple fonts? I hope I do not sound to "New Member", but I hope you can help.

Post subject: Re: Need major html help....
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 2:28 am 
PPT Trainee
PPT Trainee

Anonymous wrote:
I just started to learn a little html and I woud like to make a shop blog, I've been to lissaexplains and soupfairie.com to read about the basics, but now I'm stuck...

I took a look at a standard neopets shop blog to see if I understood it a little. I made the bits I don't understand bold and I hope someone can explains those parts to me.

<div align="center"><table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="300" height="425" background="http://images.neopets.com/shopblogs/zaffyhide.gif"><tr><td width="300" height="222" colspan="3"> </td></tr><tr><td width="4" height="199"></td><td width="292" height="199"><div style="width: 292; height: 199; overflow: auto; font-family: Verdana, Tahoma, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 11px; color: #000000;scrollbar-arrow-color:#FFFFFF; scrollbar-track-color:#517CFD; scrollbar-face-color:#0033FF; scrollbar-highlight-color:#517CFD; scrollbar-3dlight-color:#0033FF; scrollbar-darkshadow-color:#1334BA; scrollbar-shadow-color:#0033FF;"><div style="padding: 5px;">

THIS IS WHERE ALL YOUR SPIFFY TEXT GOES.

<br></div></div></td><td width="4" height="99"></td></tr><tr><td width="300" height="4" colspan="3"></td></tr></table></div>

What do all those widths and heights do, what is "colspan" and why are there multiple fonts? I hope I do not sound to "New Member", but I hope you can help.

TR stands for table row. TD defines a data cell in a table. Width and Height define the dimensions of the cell. colspan defines the columns spanned by the cell.
There are many fonts, the browser will choose the first one(verdana). but if it is unavailable, it will choose the second, and so on. They belong to a family and cannot be changed, unless you change the whole family.
The DIV element defines a generic block-level container, allowing authors to provide style or language information to blocks of content.
The rest below the text are closing tags. <BR> is a line break.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 3:05 am 

thanks for explaining it for me, I think I understand now, but can you check it for me?

the first set, width="300" height="425" is for the size of the background?
the next set is a table, width="300" height="222" ends with width="300" height="4"

tha last set is:
><td width="292" height="199"><div style="width: 292; height: 199 this one is for the scroll bar and the area for the text, right?

some things I don't understand yet, is the colspan command really necessary?, and what is "padding" for?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 7:52 pm 
The first set of widths and heights are for the dimensions of the table itself.
Second, see above,
The div thing is for the scroll bar area etc(you are right)
Colspan is not needed.
Padding is for the space between the edges of the thing being padded and whats inside.

Goto w3schools.com, they are great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 12:26 am 

if u need help go to
http://www.htmlite.com

Please keep your signature within the 400x100 px and 50K filesize limits.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]