Got a little techonology problem that you need fixed pronto? Post it here and we'll see what we can do.
Topic locked

Re: Windows 7 Beta available as free download today

Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:49 pm

Can you run it in Wine? [/linux]

Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:45 am

Em... no. ^^

Wine is used for running Windows applications only. Simply say, Wine is already considered a Windows system by itself.

If you do not wish to partition your system, then another alternative will be using "VMware Workstation" to install Windows 7. It'll cost though...

Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:06 pm

SwordFire wrote:Em... no. ^^

Wine is used for running Windows applications only. Simply say, Wine is already considered a Windows system by itself.

If you do not wish to partition your system, then another alternative will be using "VMware Workstation" to install Windows 7. It'll cost though...

It was a joke, but I like your chutzpah. :P

P.S.: Good to know I can use VMWare.
Of course, god knows how much room Windows 7 will take up...

Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:08 am

Not intended, but at least I tried...

Currently the virtual harddisk is using 6.59Gb (viewed from outside VMWare Fusion), with Avast installed and fully updated. There are a few issues with running Windows 7 in VMWare (namely the WinEI, which is tied to Aero effects and the games), but otherwise seems fine.

Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:20 am

Is anyone who installed Windows 7 Beta still using it?
Any updates as to how it's performing (in a non-benchmarky legal compliance sort of way)?

Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:01 pm

It's running perfectly on my laptop. I tried dualbooting it on my Desktop though, and it had some problems so I uninstalled it.

Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:41 pm

WIS wrote:It's running perfectly on my laptop. I tried dualbooting it on my Desktop though, and it had some problems so I uninstalled it.

Any problems with your desktop after the uninstall of the failed dualboot install? That is pretty much my only option to play with W7, and I'm very reluctant to try it and mess up up my desktop because it is running very well at the moment.

Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:20 am

Blue wrote:
WIS wrote:It's running perfectly on my laptop. I tried dualbooting it on my Desktop though, and it had some problems so I uninstalled it.

Any problems with your desktop after the uninstall of the failed dualboot install? That is pretty much my only option to play with W7, and I'm very reluctant to try it and mess up up my desktop because it is running very well at the moment.

No, nothing wrong with my original Vista. The problem with W7 wasn't that big, but it was annoying as sometimes the "My computer" thing would freeze up for no reason, although I can access other folders through shortcuts and stuff. Also once WMP froze so I was like, nah. It is really pretty though. <3
Topic locked