Pink Poogle Toy Forum

The official community of Pink Poogle Toy
Main Site
NeoDex
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:39 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Computer will not turn on
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:01 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Yesterday I moved my computer (desktop) from one side of my basement to the other, and now it won't turn on! I mean it does nothing, I don't even get any beeps or whirring fans when I push the power button.

I know the power cord works. When the computer is plugged in a green light on the motherboard turns on. I'm also assuming the power supply and motherboard are working because of this light.

I checked the connections inside of the computer, everything feels pretty secure. I also made sure to check the connection coming from the power button to the motherboard.

I've tried holding the power button, as well my computer does not have an on/off switch on the back to worry about.

Even though the green light turns on, could there still be a problem with the power supply? Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :)

Submit your picture for the Official 2009 PPT Collage today!

Post subject: Re: Computer will not turn on
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:37 am 
PPT Trainee
PPT Trainee

I don't know much about computers or electricity, but have you tried plugging it in to where it was before? I think that if it works there again, then there has to be something wrong with the outlet you moved to.

[Manufactured by Byakuya San]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:10 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I haven't tried plugging it back in the original place, but I have tried other outlets that I know work. As well..I assume the outlet I'm using works, since the green light on the motherboard turns on when I plug the computer in to that outlet.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:43 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

i know that if your computer doesnt turn on but does beep, that the beeps are code for whats wrong with the computer. if you're not even getting to the beeping bit then i'd guess the motherboard isn't turning on (even tho it has the light)... anymore than that i dont know i'm afraid, sorry nik.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:45 pm 
Way Beyond Godly
Way Beyond Godly

Right. If you are not receiving any beeps, then that is most likely a motherboard failure.
What might've happened was there was a short in the cables that the motherboard hooks up to (or something got bumped) and moving it was just enough to break the short.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:31 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Hm ok, that actually makes sense. I'll have to look in to that. Is there anyway I can test to see if it is the motherboard, instead of buying a brand new one, putting it in and finding out it's not the problem?
Also, sny idea how much a motherboard would be to replace? lol

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:59 pm 
Way Beyond Godly
Way Beyond Godly

Unfortunately, I can't think of any other ways but to either put it into another computer with all the hardware, and test it then, or take it to a computer repair shop and have them test it.

Cost will depend on how old the computer and hardware is.
If it's an older computer, you might be able to find the motherboard fairly cheap on eBay.
I think the motherboard we put in this machine was about $80.
Now, you may have hardware compatibility issues, so you may wanna look up what motherboard will work best with your video card, et cetera. :)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:15 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Well I've now cancelled out some possible problems. First tried another case, incase it was the power button (since it's hard to access), it wasnt. Also tried another power supply in my case and in the new case. Power supply is also not the problem. So from here I'm thinking it is the Motherboard. I'm just happy that the hard drive is all good. :) Bought myself a case for it so it's now external.

I don't think this computer is worth a new motherboard...it's a few years old now, and wasn't the greatest to begin with (it's an emachine...enough said! lol). Think from this point on we might just end up getting a new computer. It's not worth the time, effort or money to put a new motherboard in this one, when my mom was looking in to getting a new computer anyways (it's her computer, not mine..so no loss on my part).

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]