Pink Poogle Toy Forum

The official community of Pink Poogle Toy
Main Site
NeoDex
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:45 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Need Help with Formulas in Excel 03
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:56 pm 

Too lazy to buy '07, so I'm stuck with '03 for a little longer. I am looking for a lot of things right now. I'll update/add to my list after each step (I'm doing it as I go along). First, I am looking to find the number of occurrences of a value in a range of cells (so for example, I'm looking for how often '1' occurs in my range of cells, and then want to subtract it from a constant such as '10'). How would I go about doing this?

Post subject: Re: Need Help with Formulas in Excel 03
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:19 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

i think you're after "countif"

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:56 pm 

Nevermind, I found someone who helped me :P Thanks, Rachel

Next question: I would like to know the formula that can be used for situations like this:

I have 30 numbers from 1-30. I have picked 2, 18, and 25. What are the odds that the next number is higher/lower than 25? How would I do that?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:38 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

you'd need to do something to do with counting how many are left either side of the number then calculate the odds... without knowing exactly what you're trying to do i cant really help anymore than that.

Oh, and i don't think that there are really many differences in terms of the functions you can use between office 2003 and 2007.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:19 pm 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

Our college has updated to 2007, and many people don't like it. I don't mind it, but would say its lost some of the functionality of earlier versions, and is harder to navigate. So yeah, don't feel too bad about having 2003.

Click the wonderful signature. You know you want to.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:35 pm 

Yeah, my school also updated to Office '07 and it's a bit more difficult to navigate and do things in general.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:42 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

It doesn't have less functionality, it definitely has more. It takes a little while to get used to it, and i sometimes wish it was possible to make the navigation bar along the top narrower, but i really like it, i has some great new functions.

For example i'm a big fan of conditional formatting, and there are extra conditional formatting options, and it's much easier to add and modify any conditional formatting you have in a spreadsheet.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:02 pm 
PPT Toddler
PPT Toddler

Rachel wrote:
It doesn't have less functionality, it definitely has more. It takes a little while to get used to it, and i sometimes wish it was possible to make the navigation bar along the top narrower, but i really like it, i has some great new functions.

For example i'm a big fan of conditional formatting, and there are extra conditional formatting options, and it's much easier to add and modify any conditional formatting you have in a spreadsheet.

Rachel , you might be able to advise me in that case.

When I use conditional formatting in '07, I only get the option to conditionally format three rules at a time. Is there a way of increasing the number of rules you can format in a single column/row? I regularly have a need to format results for up to half a dozen sets of information in a single column.... :(

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:09 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

i'm not at home at the moment so dont have access to office 07, but i can have a look when i get back. if i havent posted again by the end of next week poke me to remind me.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:12 pm 
PPT Toddler
PPT Toddler

I much prefer Openoffice.org Calc to MS Excel... It's free, for a start, and a lot less... Noisy. ;)
Quote:
Is there a way of increasing the number of rules you can format in a single column/row?

I'm not sure if this is what you want, but according to a quick google, you can add rules under Conditional Formatting > Manage Rules > New Rule... If that's not what you're looking for, maybe this page from the MSDN can help?

question? check the dex

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]