Got a little techonology problem that you need fixed pronto? Post it here and we'll see what we can do.
Topic locked

Computer Problems *le sigh*

Sat May 05, 2007 12:29 am

Alright then - so my computer keeps randomly restarting. Whether or not I'm using it - whether or not the internet is open, or Windows Media Player, or any other program I have on my computer.

I've virus scanned, I've spy-ware scanned and nothing.

I've gone as far to clear my Temp Internet Files and Cache in case it was something lurking in there that my scans didn't find, but nothing.

Help!

Sat May 05, 2007 3:26 am

Well it could be overheating and it shuts down to prevent any serious damage? Just throwing that out there... When you say it keeps randomly restarting does it turn off right away or properly shut down?

Sat May 05, 2007 4:44 am

Turn off right away then load back up right away.

Sat May 05, 2007 8:12 am

Sounds like a heat or power problem. I remember mine was doing that for a while... it took a while to track down the problem, but I eventually linked it with the fact that one of my USB ports was wobbly/working erratically - I think it was short-circuiting somewhere. So I stopped using it, and my computer stopped shutting down randomly :)

Sat May 05, 2007 7:28 pm

Yes it sounds like it could be overheating or a power problem. I don't know how technically savvy you are but you check your pc operating temps while it's running. the best bet is to check right after it shuts down go into bios. also you should be able to see what the shutdown temp is set for the computer. so if the temp of the computer us relatively close to it that could be your problem. if you've never cleaned all the dust out of the computer that might help or a fan could be going bad. if it's a power issue you can check the voltages in bios also usually. see if any of them are really off the mark.

those are just possibilites and really there are lots of things to look at. computers...
Topic locked