Got a little techonology problem that you need fixed pronto? Post it here and we'll see what we can do.
Topic locked

Accessing AIM through a password protected proxy.

Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:25 am

ok, i am currently accessing the internet through a password protected proxy, which i have managed to get everything to work with so far except AIM.

i have looked through the aim help and not found anything of use, but i think i may need to use a different client to connect me to aim.

does anyone have any suggestions/solutions?

Re: Accessing AIM through a password protected proxy.

Fri May 25, 2007 12:22 pm

Rachel wrote:ok, i am currently accessing the internet through a password protected proxy, which i have managed to get everything to work with so far except AIM.

i have looked through the aim help and not found anything of use, but i think i may need to use a different client to connect me to aim.

does anyone have any suggestions/solutions?

I'm not sure if AIM has such a feature, however, there should be a 'connections' tab in the options menu. You can configure a proxy there, if it exists.

If there is no connections tab, then I'm afraid you'll have to find a different client.

I would say Trillian-- check that out, to see if that has a Proxy feature.

Sorry I can't be of any more help.

Littleboy6236

Fri May 25, 2007 4:38 pm

As far as I'm aware the newest version of AIM doesn't support a proxy, drop down to version 5.5.3598, this version supports the use of a password protected proxy. Go to the 'Sign On/Off' tab and click on 'Connections' and then type in your info. Hope that's some help.

Sat May 26, 2007 4:58 am

Captain Insano wrote:As far as I'm aware the newest version of AIM doesn't support a proxy, drop down to version 5.5.3598, this version supports the use of a password protected proxy. Go to the 'Sign On/Off' tab and click on 'Connections' and then type in your info. Hope that's some help.

where can i get the installation file for that version?

Sat May 26, 2007 10:14 am

Rachel wrote:
Captain Insano wrote:As far as I'm aware the newest version of AIM doesn't support a proxy, drop down to version 5.5.3598, this version supports the use of a password protected proxy. Go to the 'Sign On/Off' tab and click on 'Connections' and then type in your info. Hope that's some help.

where can i get the installation file for that version?

http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=aim

Sat May 26, 2007 1:35 pm

Thought I might point out: Gaim, aka Pidgin, which supports a large plethora of messenging protocols, also has proxy support...
Topic locked