Pink Poogle Toy Forum

The official community of Pink Poogle Toy
Main Site
NeoDex
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:45 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: iPhone
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:45 am 
PPT God
PPT God

Wikipedia wrote:
The Apple iPhone, is a combination mobile phone, multimedia player, and wireless communication device announced by Apple CEO Steve Jobs during his keynote address at the Macworld Conference & Expo on January 9, 2007. The iPhone will support push e-mail, mobile telephone, text messaging, web browsing and other wireless information services. In addition, the touchscreen device also includes functionality found in the iPod series of media players and runs OS X. Apple has not yet clearly revealed the distinction, if any, between OS X and Mac OS X, the only name they have used for their modern Macintosh operating system.

The device is a 2.5G quad band GSM EDGE cell phone. It comes equipped with Wi-Fi (802.11b/g) and Bluetooth 2.0, as well as a 2-megapixel camera. It supports tilting so that content can be viewed horizontally or vertically. The iPhone will not include a built-in keyboard or keypad; input is accomplished via a software-enabled graphical user interface implemented via the iPhone's touch screen. The interface is notable because it's the first commercial handheld device to combine the Zooming User Interface and multi-touch interaction techniques, which together allow an easy control of many independent and complex applications in a small device.

The iPhone has a scheduled initial release date of June 2007, pending Federal Communications Commission approval, and will be available from the Apple Store and via Cingular. Jobs also mentioned in his keynote that Apple "plan[s] to make 3G phones and all sorts of other amazing things in the future".

Cisco Systems has owned the trademark "iPhone" since 1999 and sells a line of telephone devices under that mark with the Linksys brand. Negotiations between Cisco and Apple for the trademark were not settled at the time of Jobs's announcement. On January 10, 2007, Cisco filed a lawsuit against Apple in federal court over Apple's use of Cisco's iPhone trademark for its new handheld device.

Apple has filed over 200 patents related to the technology behind iPhone which it "intends to protect".

iPhone Specs:
    Screen size: 3.5 in (8.9 cm)
    Resolution: 320×480 pixels
    Size: 115 × 61 × 11.6 mm
    Weight: 4.8 oz (135 g)
    Operating System: OS X
    Safari web browser
    A widget engine
    USB connection port
    Plays MP3 file types
    Voice Activated Dialing, web-browsing and typing
    "Smudge Proof" Lens Coating
    "Icon Clicking" GUI interface
    Integrated WiFi (802.11 b/g), EDGE and Bluetooth 2.0 with EDR and A2DP
    2 megapixel camera
    Widescreen iPod music, video and photo functionality
    iPod portion features Cover Flow interface and 3-D effects
    Multi-touch screen interface (the "Home" button is the iPhone's only physical front panel button)
    On-screen QWERTY keyboard
    Fingertip scrolling, pan, and zoom (zoom in by pinch motion and zoom out by putting two fingers down and pulling them apart) functions
    Built-in rechargeable, non-removable battery with up to 5 hours of talk/video/browsing or up to 16 hours of audio playback.

According to MSNBC, it can detect location from Global Positioning System satellites, although Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak stated in another article that the device does not include GPS support.

Apple wrote:

So anyway, after muuuuuuuuuuuuuch begging and talking, I'm pleased to say, I'm getting one as soon as I get freed from Alltel, and we switch to Cingular, in October!!! I'm so hyped :DDDD

Any thoughts? Pros? Cons? Dissapointments?

President of the Sugarinii/Tasha fan club.
Sugarinii's soulmate... since 1991!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:17 am 
PPT God
PPT God

Wow, you're freaking lucky.

Anyways, after looking over it for awhile, I still really like it, but I'm also a tad disappointed. I wish Apple also revamped their regular video iPod line, but they probably won't do that until October.

Also, there's the whole thing with their "exclusive partnership" with Cingular. Now, I'm on the Cingular network, but I know in many places that are far from big cities, the coverage area can be spotty.

And what's up with no 3G support? That's lacking big-time.

Speculation Central - Thinking about the future... Today!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:26 am 
PPT God
PPT God

Dragonfire wrote:
Wow, you're freaking lucky.

Anyways, after looking over it for awhile, I still really like it, but I'm also a tad disappointed. I wish Apple also revamped their regular video iPod line, but they probably won't do that until October.

Also, there's the whole thing with their "exclusive partnership" with Cingular. Now, I'm on the Cingular network, but I know in many places that are far from big cities, the coverage area can be spotty.

And what's up with no 3G support? That's lacking big-time.

Yea, but I work for it, like I seriously I try to get good grades and I do a lot of community service and such, and my aunt works with the Mexican govt so I get freebies XD, for example, I have a Razr and a Sidekick, so :S. But that's another story.

I wish they would revamp it as well, I mean the iPhone is awesome, but while I was on my SK at school reading the transcript off macrumorslive and I read "Widescreen iPod" I literally died, but soon after realized the iPhone and WS iPod were the same thing I felt really dissapointed.

I agree, no 3G support kinda has me on the fritz... :S...

And what really has me confused is the patents, 200?!?! They are really setting the bar high, and it's gonna be hard to find a "better" smart phone.

Also, what is it with 4 and 8 GB?!?!? I mean seriously!!!!!!!! They could have well made it 80+, I could careless how much skinnier it is than the Blackjack and the Moto Q. That's a huuuuuuuuuge downer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:27 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

Actually, the Moto Q is thinner than the iPhone by 0.1 mm. :P And I think the reason why they started with 4 and 8 gigs is to just start out. They'll probably increase the size, although I'm not sure if they're going to use more flash memory or use a small hard drive.

And technically it's not a smartphone, because you can't install applications on it.

Also, there's a phone that LG came out with BEFORE the iPhone, that looks extremely similar to it. Read it here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:08 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

Hopefully, because right now it seems sort of unapple-ish to not have a huge hard drive, but then again he did compare the iPhone to the iPod Nano....

And yea I've seen that, we might have to wait and see who patented first.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:37 pm 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

Hey, an excuse to get rid of my falling apart Blackberry 7100! Good phone, but not durable. All the little things are falling off.

Price?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:41 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

Tested wrote:
Hey, an excuse to get rid of my falling apart Blackberry 7100! Good phone, but not durable. All the little things are falling off.

Price?

$499 for the 4 gig model, $599 for the 8 gig model, so you better save up. :P

Oh, and that doesn't include the two-year service agreement you have to get with Cingular (which apparently will be rebranded as AT&T mid-year).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:19 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Location: THE HEART OF DARKNESS. *ominous drums* Haha, just kidding, I'm stalking you. :D
I reeeeaaaally want an iPhone. Like, REALLY REALLY REALLY. But it's so far out of my price range that it's faintly ridiculous. My current phone was $19 with our T-mobile plan, so, er. Yeah.

And price aside, I'd still want to wait until they release a model with more capacity. For something that plays music and videos as well as having a freaking operating system on it, 8 GB is nothing.

can't find the sig from this set, so instead, you get a <3 .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:12 am 
PPT Warrior
PPT Warrior

Dragonfire wrote:
Also, there's a phone that LG came out with BEFORE the iPhone, that looks extremely similar to it. Read it here.

The iPhone looks hideous there... (it is the one on the left, yes?)

I'd like to get one, when they come to Australia, which will probably be 2008. Hopefully it won't be locked to a certain network, and if it is, I hope it's Telstra. I don't even want it for the iPod part, so I'll definitely get a 4 GB, or less, if they release it.

No 3G support sucks big time.

- Go WIS!

What kind of smurfery is this?

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]