Pink Poogle Toy Forum

The official community of Pink Poogle Toy
Main Site
NeoDex
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:09 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Books That Made You Cry (Split #1)
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:27 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I cried when I read the ending of The Amber Spyglass, the final installment of Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy.

WHY, PULLMAN??? WHY??? :cry:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:36 pm 

Harry Potter and The Order Of The Phoenix and The Deathly Hallows. *sobbing*

Goodnight Mister Tom. I was trying to hold my tears since I was reading it with my sister sleeping in the same room. And it was 5 in the morning. *really sobbing*

And other books but I don't recall right now.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 2:49 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Deathly Hallows, obviously.

The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
always makes me cry. It isn't actually very sad, but there's a definite sense of certain things ending.

I've been known to bawl loudly a wee bit over St. Joan, too.

ImageImageImage
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. - Samuel Clemens

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 6:58 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

Atonement by Ian McEwan

I've never cried over a book so much.

set by Sakura

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:14 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

Funnily enough, I don't remember crying first read of Deathly Hallows, but I'm crying or near tears everytime I read it now. I just can't belive it's over.

Set by the amazing Kitten Medli.
Wanna see some of my writing? Click here!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:35 pm 
PPT Toddler
PPT Toddler

The giving tree is the only book I cried over.

Oh oh, and for some reason eggs By Jerry Spinelli had me teary for the poor boy.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:53 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

I don't know if this has been posted -shrug- but I'll have to go with Burned by Ellen Hopkins. This book, is probably the best book I've EVER read (I'm going to have to say something bold right now, I think it was better than Fight Club). Note, though, that at points it is a little...uhh well PG-13 rated (maybe a soft R) xD but nothing more than that. I suggest it for people who are..well, 13 and above? I'm horrible at guessing what age things are appropriate for lol

3lla wrote:
Atonement by Ian McEwan

I've never cried over a book so much.

Don't even talk to me about that book!!! =*(((

Like in waiting rooms and long lines that made you late or mall parking lots on holidays
Blog | Flickr | Twitter | Zune

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:54 am 
PPT Toddler
PPT Toddler

The one book that made me cry was Marley & Me by Joe Grogan (name? I don't quite remember..). Oh man, I haven't cried that hard in a LONG time.

Awesome av by Silja!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:25 am 
PPT Student
PPT Student

Chinese Cinderella by Adeline Yen Mah would be the main one (it's incredibly touching/sad- and is semi-autobiographical). I was 10 when I read it. However, I also had a huge lump in my throat when I read Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (when Sirius died :()

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:07 am 

Old topic, but I can't help myself.
I cried in like 5 different Series of Unfortunate Events books, but mostly in "The End."
I cried so many times(so far, I'm not done yet) in Les Miserables, especially Fantine's death and I sob buckets of tears every time I read The Phantom of the Opera, every single time.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:33 pm 
PPT Trainee
PPT Trainee

Moon wrote:
The one book that made me cry was Marley & Me by Joe Grogan (name? I don't quite remember..). Oh man, I haven't cried that hard in a LONG time.

I got the book in my room i will check on the name now just hang on....................................... ahh you were close its John Grogan
i cried over that book too
i also cried over some of the harry potter books and this kind of diary thing called sorceress and i just finished this other book called slave girl it was so sad

set by Byakuya San.....Thanks your awesome

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:14 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

hpfanfiction wrote:
However, I also had a huge lump in my throat when I read Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (when Sirius died :()

That's exactly how I felt. The movie totally misses the emotion of that moment, you're kind of left wondering what the heck happened and than you realize that he's died so it takes the shock away.

Like in waiting rooms and long lines that made you late or mall parking lots on holidays
Blog | Flickr | Twitter | Zune

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:14 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Location: Faster than a speeding IM! Stronger than an ox on steroids! Pinker than a bottle of Pepto-Bismol!
In terms of Harry Potter, I also find that the books capture the moment and emotions a lot better than the movie. Then again, the movie does have the constraint of being approximately two hours in length whereas with a book, we spend hours, sometimes even months or more (if the character appears in more books) familiarizing ourselves with the characters.

Hold onto your seats people... the SL is back.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:48 am 
Way Beyond Godly
Way Beyond Godly

I haven't replied to this one yet because honestly, I cry at almost anything in a book (things I would never cry over for myself in real life), so I've probably cried reading more books than I've not cried over. I cry over lost pets, being misunderstood, being unfairly accused of bad motives/wrongdoing, deaths (when the grief is shown realistically), any time someone expresses sadness or regret...

So, yes, I think I cried during just about every single HP book
(when Sirius died, I didn't believe it, but I cried so much over the scene in DD's office). In the Deathly Hallows, I wept bitterly over Hedwig's death (because I'd just lost a pet I'd had since I was 11, too), but also cried during Harry's decision (so basically through the whole forest chapters), even though I suspected the ending would turn out as it did). Yeah, so probably for more than half that book I was crying.

The worst book for me was Anne Frank's diary, though. About 2/3 of the way through, I'd become so invested in the character -- except this time she was a real person -- that I couldn't take it anymore and had to see if she made it. When I read in the back that she'd survived years in the concentration camp and died mere months before it was liberated, I was devastated. I threw the book across the room and didn't finish it until years later. I think I was about 11 at the time.

I won't list any more because basically, if someone else has said it and I've read it, I've probably cried over it, too. I think it's because I like to get really absorbed in the world of the book and almost assume the characters' role in my mind (which really creeped me out when I read Apt Pupil by Stephen King, which is about two serial killers -- but no, I didn't cry during that one, even when deaths occurred).

Blue graffitied on my signature... But it made me laugh, so it's all good!

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 12:13 am 
PPT Baby
PPT Baby

I cried when reading Brisingr *sob* It was just so sad and so sweet...

DO NOT READ THE SPOILER IF YOU HAVEN'T READ BRISINGR YET. IF YOUR DYING OF CURIOSITY, GO GET IT AND START READING BECAUSE IT IS THE BEST BOOK EVER =)

When Saphira showed Eragon the message Brom left him... Well let's say I used about a whole box of Kleenex. It was so sad... Because you know Brom's dead and all the time they were traveling he couldn't tell Eragon he was Eragon's father... *cry* And I cried a bit when Oromis and Glaedr died too. =(

TwizEdit: Just rearraged the placement of things so the warning is placed before the spoiler. :)

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next