SHHH!!! Can you read? Want to prove it? Meet fellow book worms and discuss the literary brilliance of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone.
Topic locked

Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:48 pm

Fiddelysquat wrote:I HATE Eragon. I hate it with the burning passion of a thousand suns. It's poorly written, badly paced, has horrid characterization, and is practically copied and pasted from other novels. Paolini's parents own a printing press, which is the only reason that horrifying mess saw the light of day, and I don't give a rip that he was "only 16" when he wrote it. S. E. Hinton wrote The Outsiders at 16, and that beats the crap out of Eragon any day.

I agree. It really, really gets on my nerves when people go on about how he was "only 16" when he wrote it...IT'S A PIECE OF !£@$"!#@!, WHO CARES IF HE WAS 16!

Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:17 am

jellyoflight wrote:
Fiddelysquat wrote:I HATE Eragon. I hate it with the burning passion of a thousand suns. It's poorly written, badly paced, has horrid characterization, and is practically copied and pasted from other novels. Paolini's parents own a printing press, which is the only reason that horrifying mess saw the light of day, and I don't give a rip that he was "only 16" when he wrote it. S. E. Hinton wrote The Outsiders at 16, and that beats the crap out of Eragon any day.

I agree. It really, really gets on my nerves when people go on about how he was "only 16" when he wrote it...IT'S A PIECE OF !£@$"!#@!, WHO CARES IF HE WAS 16!

But Emma, he was 16! It takes SKILL to mash up so many things from Star Wars, LotR, HP and others! He's a ~*child prodigy*~ omg, how could you not love anything that comes out of his brain??

Sun May 06, 2007 4:07 pm

Sadly, I'm in on the Eragon-hating. It's such a ..rip-off.

One thing though, most fantasy stories do tend to follow the same general plot: Random kid from unknown background in a little nowhere finds that he actually has a great and wonderful heritage, meets guy who tells him stuff, goes on to save the world and win the girl. :/

Sun May 06, 2007 4:24 pm

Xandra wrote:
jellyoflight wrote:

But Emma, he was 16! It takes SKILL to mash up so many things from Star Wars, LotR, HP and others! He's a ~*child prodigy*~ omg, how could you not love anything that comes out of his brain??

Lawl!
Because star wars and harry potter are the epitome of originality :roflol:

Sun May 06, 2007 6:36 pm

draconis wrote:Sadly, I'm in on the Eragon-hating. It's such a ..rip-off.

One thing though, most fantasy stories do tend to follow the same general plot: Random kid from unknown background in a little nowhere finds that he actually has a great and wonderful heritage, meets guy who tells him stuff, goes on to save the world and win the girl. :/

That's why I love George R. R. Martin so much. His fantasy is about the only one that doesn't deal with prodigy children.
I saw the movie Eragon last week, and it was such a waste of time.

Anyway, the last book I flung away without finishing it was by Jacqueline Wilson. Talk about overused plots, she's written about a dozen books where the protagnist is an abandoned girl who's poor and friendless and then finds a family who'll love her.
One of her books can be ok. But don't read a second, ever.

Sun May 06, 2007 6:58 pm

A Day No Pigs Would Die. Absolutely horrible and boring. I also didn't like Romeo and Juliet, though I've loved every other one of his plays that I've read.

Sun May 06, 2007 7:03 pm

MarchingTwinkie3 wrote:A Day No Pigs Would Die. Absolutely horrible and boring.

With a title like that, how could it not be? XD
I haven't read Eragon...but I don't think I will with all the reviews here. :o

And besides. I know tons of great writers who are sixteen -- and under!

Wed May 16, 2007 10:41 pm

Julius Caesar

Merchant of Venice

Othello

(Those three probably have to do with having to read them for school.)

A Walk to Remember

Peter

Geography Club

Year of Ice

Call it Courage

Fri May 18, 2007 12:00 am

I forgot to add ANYTHING by Nicholas Sparks. *wigs out*

Tue May 29, 2007 10:38 am

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time...yeesh boring.

Re: What book did you hate the most?

Sat Aug 25, 2007 2:02 am

Add anything by Stephanie Meyer to that list. Twilight...

*has convulsions*

Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:28 am

I know there are plenty of fans out there, but I hate anything Lord of the Rings with passion. I just really can't stand Tolken's writing stye. Too much description for me.

Re:

Sat Nov 17, 2007 6:34 pm

Winchycott wrote:The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time...yeesh boring.

*Liked it*
Even if it did suddenly give everyone an insight into my mind.
(Here's a hint. No it didn't)

Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:43 am

Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry

I hate this book. hate it, hate it HATE IT.
:x

what makes things worse was that i was made to read it 3 times!!!!
*head explodes*

Re:

Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:39 pm

jellyoflight wrote:

Yay... aren't you guys a bunch of happiness :D Enthusiasum. I quite liked that book actually... *hides in corner* :P
Topic locked