SHHH!!! Can you read? Want to prove it? Meet fellow book worms and discuss the literary brilliance of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone.
Topic locked

What book did you hate the most?

Tue May 09, 2006 9:18 pm

What book(s) made you cringe?
What couldn't you bear the thought of reading?
What book couldn't you get past the first chapter?

I myself did not like Eldest(I loved Eragon though! :thinking: ), A Series of Unfortunate Events, and The Hunchback of Notre Dame.
Last edited by fergermister on Wed May 10, 2006 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue May 09, 2006 10:27 pm

Umm loads of books I couldn't get past the first chapter of but most notably was Diggers and Fellowship of the Ring. Something abomut small writing that just puts me to sleep ;)

Tue May 09, 2006 10:50 pm

For me, it would have to be a tie between The Scarlet Letter by Hawthorne and A Tale of Two Cities by Dickens. Bleh.

Wed May 10, 2006 2:51 pm

mayanspypilot wrote:For me, it would have to be a tie between The Scarlet Letter by Hawthorne and A Tale of Two Cities by Dickens. Bleh.

I forgot about A Tale of Two Cities. That almost made me fall asleep.

Wed May 10, 2006 11:01 pm

A Child Called It

I'm sorry but I never liked it.

Thu May 11, 2006 6:19 am

Heart of Darkness.

I hated it.

Sun May 14, 2006 10:18 am

The Power of One
Any of the LotR books

They're "good" books apparantly, but I just couldn't get into them properly

Tue May 16, 2006 1:26 am

The Great Gatsby

I wanted to grab Gatsby by the throat, and smack the crap out of him until he stopped saying "Old sport". Say it one more time Gatsby, I DARE YOU!

(Yeah, the book drove me insane)

Snippy wrote:Heart of Darkness.

I hated it.

How interesting, I have to read that book for my English class.

Tue May 16, 2006 10:29 am

I liked nearly all the books you guys have listed. Geez..

Bad book? I Am The Cheese.

What the hell, man. Seriously. What the hell?

Tue May 16, 2006 4:51 pm

The Dictionary..

:P

Tue May 16, 2006 7:49 pm

Man, Heart of Darkness is not good.

Wuthering Heights sucks a lot. It is SO SO boring.

Tue May 16, 2006 8:30 pm

I can normally never stand books that we read in school; there's one that stands out in my mind, it was called Badger On The Barge, and I hated it so much! It was about some hormonal girl running around crying because some badger was going to a nature reserve, then there was a crazy old lady in it yelling "BOTTOMS UP!"...strange story.

Wed May 17, 2006 3:56 am

Wuthering Heights
Eragon (never bothered to read Eldest)
Anything by Cornelia Funke

the_dog_god wrote:Any of the LotR books

And there are more, but I tend to shove negative reading experiences into the back of my mind, so.

ETA: And yes, anything by Dan Brown. I'm sorry, I know the general idea of each of the books is certainly interesting, but his writing? It sucks. His characters? Cliche after cliche, blah blah blah blah blah.
Last edited by Xandra on Mon May 29, 2006 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri May 26, 2006 5:32 pm

Xil wrote:I liked nearly all the books you guys have listed. Geez..

Bad book? I Am The Cheese.

What the hell, man. Seriously. What the hell?

I know the pain, I had to read it too... and After the First Death (my English teacher liked the author. o_O I dunno why) . Both were cases, in my opinion, of the author trying to be 'too smart', therefore, failing terribly. That really annoys me in books.

Oh, Lord of the Rings too. And Dickens has never had a real appeal to me. (I would put Hard Times here, for it simply is dreary, but felt it picked up about half way through). And also, Shakespeare can pull some bad stuff out of the hat. Merchant of Venice, for example.

And the Redwall series. Hehe, not really the worst books, but greatly lacked appeal to me.

Hehe, books seem to tick me off. :P

Sun May 28, 2006 10:25 pm

The De'vinci code.
Oh boy.
My poor knowledge of the period was able to tear this one apart mercilessly.
Sins of the Priori (Or whatever it was) Created in 1099?
Yeah.
Oh wait, no, 1950-something.
Only about 900 years off then.

Plot spoilers follow.

The plot is linear, the characters convulated, and the ending possibly the most annoying thing in the history of stupid plot twists.
Oh look, a main character is Jesus' ancestor.
Who saw that one coming eh?
Atleast it wasn't Tom hanks (Because I forget all the characters names) That would have been down right insulting.

The entire story is like a badly done fanfic designed to cram as many stupid Interweb conspiracy theories into one story.
And they are stupid.
The DOOM Fanfic is more entertaining.
And I'm not even joking about that.
But I think i'll stop now.
Topic locked