SHHH!!! Can you read? Want to prove it? Meet fellow book worms and discuss the literary brilliance of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone.
Topic locked

Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:52 am

I'd have to say 4, because my first memories are from when I was 4 and I knew how to read then... Maybe 3.

What the heck did I do with my time before that?

Sun Jul 02, 2006 5:23 am

I don't know my exact age, but my ma tells me that it was rather freaky, since I just picked up a book and read it word for word.
I'm guessing 4, but I have no clue. O_o

Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:25 pm

Are you counting those books with massive pictures, massive text and are easy-to-read books from Reception, Year One and Year Two? Heh, because I started to read when I was five. I took reading "seriously" when I was eight though.

Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:00 am

Sugarinii wrote:Hmm, pretty early. I always got in trouble in first grade for reading those "Little House on the Praries" books when I was supposed to be pretending to be learning to read from those Jack and Jane books :roll:

I find it incredibly stupid that you would get in trouble for being advanced. It was in kindergarden that I could "read" but I wasn't good with it until I suddenly jumped to chapter books, none of this phonics stuff for me. In first grade I remember that I was reading over the sholder of an older girl and getting ahead of her.

Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:59 am

Second or third grade
I went to a Waldorf school so......(?)

Tue Jul 18, 2006 6:00 pm

I started to read at about 4 or 5, I just always found it so easy. Who here had to use the tag system. It started off at red or something, then double red, then yellow, all the way up to double white, then you went onto free reading which meant you could read any book you wanted, from school or home.

I was on free reading by the end of the year that we started the system. I was in Year 1 at the time and had a reading partner who was supposed to help me with the books. I read it easily but he kept saying that it was the wrong word. He thought automatic was photographic.

'The photographic engine puffed hard'... Stupid.

I always hated the kids books. You put about 50 words overall into the book, ginat illustrations and massive writing. They nearly screwed up my story writing ability.

Jack walked over to the pond. -turn page- Jack picked up a rose. -turn page- "Ow," Jack said, his finger bleeding. The blood was red.

It annoyed me so much!

Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:46 pm

Reading in English, you mean? I started when I was 7, I think. Maybe 6. :oops:
I was reading chapter books by the end of first grade, though. :P

Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:52 am

OK this should top me up lol :roll:

1 year old: Umm yah

2 : Still whatever

3: Got into pictures

4: Started reading 5 paged books

5: Went up to 10 pages

6: 20 pages

7: 50 pages

8: 120 pages

9: 500 pages

10: Well im not 10 yet I am in 2 weeks anyway around now I've been reading 1000-1500 paged books

Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:04 pm

2 I think.Maybe 3.In Pre school I was reading chapter books.I'm now 9 and I read books that my mom reads.In our learn to read program in kindergarden I always tried to stay in the same level of books,but I couldn't

Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:28 pm

Probably 3 - My mum and dad were into getting me ready for nursery... arithmetic was my fave. (My dad would use oranges and apples and would slice them up and get me to count the pieces.) Probably cos I was getting fruit.

Sat Aug 26, 2006 1:34 am

Hmm... I don't recall to be honest.

Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:14 pm

Earthstar wrote:
Sugarinii wrote:Hmm, pretty early. I always got in trouble in first grade for reading those "Little House on the Praries" books when I was supposed to be pretending to be learning to read from those Jack and Jane books :roll:

I find it incredibly stupid that you would get in trouble for being advanced. It was in kindergarden that I could "read" but I wasn't good with it until I suddenly jumped to chapter books, none of this phonics stuff for me. In first grade I remember that I was reading over the sholder of an older girl and getting ahead of her.

Ugh, I know.

I never bothered paying much attention to those phonics and spelling rules, I just knew how to read and spell without all that. But nooooooooo.

Teacher: Does 'i' come before or after 'e'?
Me: I dunno, it doesn't matter *Reads Little House on the Prairie*
Teacher: You have to learn this stuff if you want to know how to read properly!
Me: I can read *Starts reading out loud*
Teacher: *Sighs in exasperation*

Justice Man Yukio wrote:Hmm... I don't recall to be honest.

Too far back to remember? :P

It's okay, we all feel old sometimes.

Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:23 pm

I started reading at about 15 months. School has always been a bore. I could have skipped almost five years in total, but my mother would not let me. She always said that I had to stay with people my age. It smurfed me pretty badly. I could already be out of university by now, if she had only let me be who I am...

Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:45 pm

Kindergarten/1st grade ish, I think?

Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:13 am

maybe at 2 or 3. I used the Bob books. Aww, I miss 'em. Oh, and in kindergarten I got the "Best Reader" award.
Topic locked