Discuss music in any form from rock bands to Britney Spears' latest VMA performance. It's all good!
Post a reply

Re: playing instruments

Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:40 pm

euphoniumgirl_71 wrote:I play piano, ocarina, trumpet, trombone, euphonium, upright bass, and electric bass. I alsow frequently compose. I'm a band geek. :D

So that's where your username comes from.

And on that note...ANOTHER TROMBONE PLAYER! Got any tips for reaching notes higher than...erm...a high F?

Re: playing instruments

Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:50 pm

Byakuya San wrote:
euphoniumgirl_71 wrote:I play piano, ocarina, trumpet, trombone, euphonium, upright bass, and electric bass. I alsow frequently compose. I'm a band geek. :D

So that's where your username comes from.

And on that note...ANOTHER TROMBONE PLAYER! Got any tips for reaching notes higher than...erm...a high F?


Glad to find another one! As for the F...

1. It's simple and I'm sure you know but warm up
2. Make sure you support the not with air
3. Don't pinch, you need to keep the air flow clear to get a nice tone.
4. Say "Te" it helps to keep the air flow clear
5. Don't jam the mouthpiece! It's common sense not to do it 'cause it hurts!

Just work on it and it will come. :D
If you build it they will come. Tehe.

Re: playing instruments

Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:28 am

As everyone has said, practice is the way to go. Unfortunately I don't follow my own advice, because the computer calls to me much louder than my piano does. I play the piano, a little guitar, the recorder (xD) and, I think I'm the only one here who does, but the bagpipes.

Pipe music is pretty much an acquired taste, but it grows on you. Also, it's very easily identifiable - you can't mistake the sound of a bagpipe.

Re: playing instruments

Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:16 am

draconis wrote:As everyone has said, practice is the way to go. Unfortunately I don't follow my own advice, because the computer calls to me much louder than my piano does. I play the piano, a little guitar, the recorder (xD) and, I think I'm the only one here who does, but the bagpipes.

Pipe music is pretty much an acquired taste, but it grows on you. Also, it's very easily identifiable - you can't mistake the sound of a bagpipe.


I'll second the acquired taste statement.

I'm found bagpipes to be fascinating with how they work and I wish I could learn to play. But...I'm not "there" yet taste wise (it's the drones). I'd like to learn chanter though.

Re: playing instruments

Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:51 pm

thesockoverlord wrote:haha, cool! Is ocarina fun? I considered getting one and learning...after realizing the true amazing-ness that is Zelda.


Haha! I was going to say that :P :D

Re: playing instruments

Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:40 pm

Helena wrote:
thesockoverlord wrote:haha, cool! Is ocarina fun? I considered getting one and learning...after realizing the true amazing-ness that is Zelda.


Haha! I was going to say that :P :D


Quite fun. It's actually one of the Zelda Ocarinas and I'm in this quartet that plays only video game music we do a lot with the ocarinas.

Re: playing instruments

Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:01 pm

euphoniumgirl_71 wrote:
Helena wrote:
thesockoverlord wrote:haha, cool! Is ocarina fun? I considered getting one and learning...after realizing the true amazing-ness that is Zelda.


Haha! I was going to say that :P :D


Quite fun. It's actually one of the Zelda Ocarinas and I'm in this quartet that plays only video game music we do a lot with the ocarinas.


LOL oh that's so cool....!
Epona's Song and Song of Time are where it's alll at.

Re: playing instruments

Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:42 am

Helena wrote:
euphoniumgirl_71 wrote:
thesockoverlord wrote:haha, cool! Is ocarina fun? I considered getting one and learning...after realizing the true amazing-ness that is Zelda.


Quite fun. It's actually one of the Zelda Ocarinas and I'm in this quartet that plays only video game music we do a lot with the ocarinas.


LOL oh that's so cool....!
Epona's Song and Song of Time are where it's alll at.


Oh yeah you bet! :D

Re: playing instruments

Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:49 am

I play fiddle, piano, clarinet, and sing. I don't practice nearly enough on any of them, but I'm fairly decent on them all. I've been playing piano for... 8,9 years? so despite not practicing much, I've had time to get pretty far on that :P. And it's also given me a pretty solid background in music in general(and I listen to a ton, and always have), so I was able to make first clarinet this year, even though I only started last year(I played trumpet before that, but I hated it, so I switched).

I'm probably going to leave it at that, because I don't practice enough as it is, so adding more instruments probably wouldn't be smart :P. But if I did learn more, I'd probably go with bagpipes or accordion. They're just amazing <3.

Re: playing instruments

Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:40 pm

My main instrumental focus is on the saxophone and my voice (the latter an alto, the former a bass), but I'm also teaching myself a bit of electric guitar. I've tried clarinet too, but didn't totally grasp the upper octave. Mostly I just play Crazy Train or whatever I can figure out the notes for- band music so far is boring.

Re: playing instruments

Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:07 pm

June 28: I play piano, trombone, and the marimba for marching band. I used to play the hand-bells, the recorder, and I sing, but never to an audience.

October 22: I just Superslicked my trombone. After years of being hard to move, it slides like butter. (not that I would actually use butter to grease it... that would be odd... :roll: )

playing instruments

Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:43 pm

so im having some trouble singing and playing at the same time. could anyone give me some tips on how to improve. i mean its hard to sing along with simple chord progrssions such as D - G.
Post a reply