Pink Poogle Toy Forum

The official community of Pink Poogle Toy
Main Site
NeoDex
It is currently Sat Jun 29, 2024 1:56 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:47 pm 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

Yeah course I love Nirvana! They epitamise 90's indie rock for me.

It's coming...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 6:59 am 
PPT Trainee
PPT Trainee

Well, I'm not a huuge fan, but I quite like 'Smells like teen spirit' hehe. Not quite my type of music, but they're a pretty good band, in my view^_^

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 4:43 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

I love Nirvana to pieces, but some of the songs disturb me very muchly. :/

My favourite songs by them are Negative Creep, Love Buzz and Come As You Are. The Man Who Sold The World is pretty cool too. Actually, I love a lot of songs by them. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:57 am 
PPT Student
PPT Student

Nirvana was like fresh air when they first started getting played on the radio-- I had never heard anything like them before. Then of course, top 40 radio picked them up, and then every band that came out had to sound "grunge" or they wouldn't get played. I still love Nirvana, and despite all the imitators, I still get astonished when I play their music at how good some of it really is.

Image Thanks to bluehawaii19 for the beautiful set!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 6:33 pm 
PPT Student
PPT Student

i_love_starburst wrote:

My favourite songs by them are Negative Creep, Love Buzz and Come As You Are. The Man Who Sold The World is pretty cool too. Actually, I love a lot of songs by them. :)

the man who sold the world is a cover, originally by david bowie :)
however, i agree that nirvana did an amazing job, and i think i like it even better than the original

"i'm filling empty spaces
where you left your mark
take two steps back from all of this
remember what you started with
it was nothing at all..."

i <3 NYC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 6:53 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

vinylraven wrote:
i_love_starburst wrote:

the man who sold the world is a cover, originally by david bowie :)
however, i agree that nirvana did an amazing job, and i think i like it even better than the original

I know it is, I don't like the original that much. :/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 3:03 am 
Way Beyond Godly
Way Beyond Godly

Location: Outside on your boulevarde scaring small children. Um... or in Illinois.
Of course I like them, I've just about grown up listening to them. :) Songs that I like of the top of my head: Come as You Are, Smells Like Teen Spirit, Heart-Shaped Boxm and Lithium... that's all I can really think of. -_- I used to listen to their "Nevermind" album all of the time, but now I can't even think of most of the songs on there...

CLICK IT!
Thanks to Laq. :o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:31 pm 
PPT Toddler
PPT Toddler

Ick.

I liked bleach, but anything after that just... wasn't the same.

I honestly believe if they were an underground band, and no one knew of them, I'd LOVE them.

I just hate establishment.

Yes... Very much so

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 8:18 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

Taco wrote:
Ick.

I liked bleach, but anything after that just... wasn't the same.

I honestly believe if they were an underground band, and no one knew of them, I'd LOVE them.

I just hate establishment.

Not being offensive, but are you one of those people who only likes a band when about 5 people know about them, then when they go "mainstream" you think they've sold out for making a living doing something they enjoy?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:32 am 
PPT Toddler
PPT Toddler

cky182 wrote:
Not being offensive, but are you one of those people who only likes a band when about 5 people know about them, then when they go "mainstream" you think they've sold out for making a living doing something they enjoy?

Actually, yeah, I do find that offensive.

That's quite the biased question you have on your hands, and if you were a political moderator, you wouldn't go very far.

I'll give you my answer in an example.

Take the band modest mouse. How many people knew about them before good news for people who love bad news. Some people, but not as many. Float on is their worst song. Now, ocean breathes salty, it was a great song, but after I saw it on MTV for the third time in one hour (no joke), I just got sick of it. I went to the modest mouse show the other day, price had jumped from 17-40. (I got in free). After they played "Float on", half the crowd left. Why? Because that's the only song they knew! They have no respect for the artist!

Making a living for something they enjoy... Hmm... That's really funny.
Yeah, a lot of bands on the radio are doing exactly what vanilla ice did. I really hope you know about vanilla ice. My argument would be a lot better if you knew about vanilla ice.

I like music that has a message. That's the only music I really bring close to my heart. Now, if a band is created to make a message, it's amazing! But if a band is created to make money, I don't like that.

I have a band. Do you know why I have a band? Because I like the good times. I like voicing my oppinions in song. Are we making any money? NO! Last night we played a show, and didn't get paid. Why do we do it? I'm a fairly well trained musician, I could EASILY be working for a label, producing pop music. But no, I'm doing what I enjoy.

Let's look at another example. Green day.

I don't much like green day, but they were all right. BEFORE AMERICAN IDIOT.
Now, why does a band so deeply rooted in punk rock quickly move to pop punk (not like they weren't before), but deep pop punk. Why do they do that? Because they want to make money! Therefore, they are sacrificing what they WANT to produce, what their soulds TELL them to produce, and create some sort of oohing and aahing monster.

Establishment=pollution, my good friend. I just can't bring myself to listen to anything that's on the radio more than twenty times a day.

Now, let me ask you a question.
Do you turn to the radio for music, or do you search out the local scene? Do you flip onto mtv, or try to find something being produced independently?

Oh, and I'm sorry for how hugely off topic this is.

Edit: I listen to quite a few "mainstream" bands. But they aren't on the radio anymore. Older bands. I don't like new music very much.

Yes... Very much so

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:25 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

Sorry if it did offend you, I wasn't in the best of moods when I wrote my 1st comment, and I'm sorry for making an unfair comment.

Anyway, I don't listen to radio that much, I'd say about 30mins a week, I normally only listen to music on my computer, at the moment it's a few Green Day albums (1,039/SOSH, Dookie, Insomniac, Nimrod) as I'm going to see them tomorrow.

But yeah, I do see what you mean about the whole radio/MTV for money thing. And I also agree about American Idiot, not the best album ever, far from it, but it has a few good songs.

At least listening to bands, such as Green Day, is better than listening to manufacture pop, such as Ashlee Simpson, who, I doubt, even looked at the lyrics given to them to sing before recording it, and who can't even be bothered to sing live for one song.

And, to answer your question, I do know a fair few band in the local scene, and I do look for independently produced music. Also, as mentioned before, I hardly listen to the radio on commercial channels.

Hopefully this post doesn't cause any more offence. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:52 pm 
PPT Toddler
PPT Toddler

No, thank you, I'm very happy you posted what you did.

It was a great mix-up. I'm used to dealing with morons, and you're educated.

It's cool.

Yes... Very much so

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 2:48 pm 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

Actually, I prefer Green Day now. They've developed their own style and moved away from the whole squeaky, moany, whingey style which seems to be the fashion now.

People who like a band, then claim to hate them because they've become popular drive me mad. (That's not aimed at you Taco btw :) ) I mean you should like a band because of the music, not because they've sold millions of albums and are now touring the world. *grumbles at friends who told her she was a wannabe for liking Linkin Park*

I love listening to bands of all statuses and that includes mainstream bands and bands which play in clubs and pubs. My boyfriend wants to make a career out of music and I'm supporting him because he is genuinely good. Couldn't care less if he "sold out". It's not the bands fault that people tend to tag on and follow others.

Back on topic, Nirvana were one of those bands who weren't particulary talented, didn't give out a message that could change the world but they had that uniqueness and X factor that made them so incredibly special. I was only 6 or 7 when Kurt Kobain died but I still remember where I was when I found out.

It's coming...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:12 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Twinkle wrote:
Yeah course I love Nirvana! They epitamise 90's indie rock for me.

My Bloody Valentine!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:37 pm 
PPT Toddler
PPT Toddler

Twinkle wrote:
People who like a band, then claim to hate them because they've become popular drive me mad. (That's not aimed at you Taco btw :) ) I mean you should like a band because of the music, not because they've sold millions of albums and are now touring the world.

I know this wasn't aimed at me, but I'm still commenting, to save my honor.. hahah...

It's not that I don't like them because they boosted their status, I don't like their music (which is what boosted their status).

It'd be fine if someone started making what I like on the radio. But, it'll never happen.

Yes... Very much so

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2