Pink Poogle Toy Forum

The official community of Pink Poogle Toy
Main Site
NeoDex
It is currently Sat Jun 29, 2024 1:25 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Best way to learn new songs?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 12:53 am 
Way Beyond Godly
Way Beyond Godly

Normally I'm fine with this.. but I have a deadline. I somehow got roped into accompanying the Chorale item at House Music this year. It's in 4 weeks, however, they need me to learn it ASAP -- I've probably got 2 weeks at max.

The piano part isn't too hard, it's just managing to get it all together fluently. At the moment, I've been using Finale Notepad so I know how it sounds, since I don't have a piano lesson for a few days (I only just got the part a couple of days ago), but all suggestions would be greatly appreciated :P

Gone, forever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 7:44 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Straight out sight reading for the first few times, then "normal" practicing however you do it- whether line by line, phrase by phrase, or just playing through the piece all in one shot. Traditional method. :P Be careful though, as you may make mistakes without even knowing it and continuing to play with them.

Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 7:48 am 
PPT God
PPT God

Cut down the piece into small parts, and just play that part 1 to 10 times untill you feel satisfied with it then move onto the next section. If you do practice like this you don't have to start at the beginning of the piece everything you practice just practice the sections that you're having problems with and you should get it down in no time. Good luck=D

Image Set-poala

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:05 am 
PPT Trainee
PPT Trainee

If you're having problems with timing, count and clap^_^ But I doubt you are. Yeah, break it down, as was said. Just keep practicing over and over^_^ That's what I do, hehe. I spend hours on the parts with which I have problems o.O; then once I've finished with that, I play it all, and find out what other problems I have. *shrug*

Good luck!!^__^

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:28 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Listen to it over and over, and look at the lyrics only once -- that works for me. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 7:16 am 
Way Beyond Godly
Way Beyond Godly

simsman24000 wrote:
Listen to it over and over, and look at the lyrics only once -- that works for me. :)

*blink blink* Why would looking/not looking help?

Gone, forever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:14 pm 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

Alex wrote:
simsman24000 wrote:

*blink blink* Why would looking/not looking help?

generally, I find doing this helps me piece things together. When I did it for Macbeth(lots and lots of lines). Looking at it only once allows me to break it down, bracket by bracket, and just put those in order.

It's not too hard to memorize stuff like this if you contribute set times to it. An hour or two everynight if you want it perfect should be enough.

generally unimpressed. Koku.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:20 pm 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

Listen to someone else play it/sing it (whatever you're doing!). Then you can tell if you're playing it right by ear.

It's coming...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:10 pm 
PPT Student
PPT Student

The quickest way to learn all the right notes is to avoid learning wrong notes.

[-much easier said than done.-]

Practice only spots you actually have trouble with--if you play measures 1-16 with trouble only on measures 3 and 4, practice only 3 and 4. Practice trouble spots in slow motion, making sure that you are -never- repeating a mistake. Well..it's no biggie to make one or two-just focus your energy on not making that same one when you play it again.

I'm sure you'll learn the piece/song in time :)

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]