Discuss music in any form from rock bands to Britney Spears' latest VMA performance. It's all good!
Topic locked

The Smiths

Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:10 pm

So.. The Smiths :D Anyone else as obsessed as I am? If you don't know who they are, you should check them out (http://www.allmusic.com). Oh, yeah, and I love Morrissey, too.. but I think that's pretty obvious.

Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:34 pm

Hm. The Smiths are alright, but I'm not a huge fan. I like Panic :)

Morrissey IMO is a bit of a pretentious prat and not that fantastic.

Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:54 pm

Igg wrote:Hm. The Smiths are alright, but I'm not a huge fan. I like Panic :)

Morrissey IMO is a bit of a pretentious prat and not that fantastic.

Haha.. yeah, I had Panic stuck in my head all through school a few days ago.

I think there are many misconceptions (I'm not saying that you in particular have any) about Morrissey, just because of a lot of stuff that happened during the 80's and 90's (the absurd rumors of child molestation because of songs like Reel Around the Fountain, charges of racism, the lawsuits, etc, etc..) I think he has gotten kind of a swelled head as time goes on, and I can't say I agree with some of the things he's done and said, but I still love his music, and his voice, and most of all the lyrics (okay, okay, I swear I've never had an obsession before this. I am not a crazed fan, either!). I don't think the music itself measures up to, say, the Smiths, but that would be hard without Marr. And Viva Hate, Your Arsenal, and Vauxhall and I were all stupendous records in my opinion, though his career as a solo artist has had some pretty severe ups and downs.

I do respect the way you feel - I hope I haven't come off like I'm trying to force my opinions on you.

Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:04 pm

I don't find him pretentious because of anything that has happened in the past, just what I've seen of his peronality thus far (and his music :P).
I always found him tremendously overrated as a writer.

Wed Sep 22, 2004 10:24 pm

Igg wrote:I don't find him pretentious because of anything that has happened in the past, just what I've seen of his peronality thus far (and his music :P).

Just out of curiosity, how much music have you heard by the smiths and/or morrissey?

Thu Sep 23, 2004 6:56 am

I've heard a couple of songs by The Smiths/Morrissey and I quite liked them. :)

Thu Sep 23, 2004 4:18 pm

morrisseyislove wrote:
Igg wrote:I don't find him pretentious because of anything that has happened in the past, just what I've seen of his peronality thus far (and his music :P).

Just out of curiosity, how much music have you heard by the smiths and/or morrissey?

Quite a lot, and I have also associated with those singing his praises, heralding him as the greatest songwriter ever. meh.
Topic locked