For Neopets ONLY discussion.
Topic locked

Cookie Grabbers are Back!

Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:29 pm

Here is the (abbreviated) story:

A user posts a link to an offsite page that contains a CG (there is a bug where you can post offsite links now) and someone clicks on it. The page has inappropriate Neopets images and a CG on it. The person then logs into the victim's account and posts the link on the boards using the scammed account; this causes more and more people to be scammed.

DON'T CLICK ON ANY OFFSITE LINKS!

Re: Cookie Grabbers are Back!

Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:41 pm

Oh. Dear. God. No. This is what caused me to take a hiatus and panically change my password 3-4 times a day before my computer a-sploded. I might seriously consider taking a leave of absence from Neopets if this turns out to be as dangerous as I remember it to be.

Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:52 pm

You are in no danger as long as you don't click any links that someone Neomails to you/posts on the boards. Also, you may want to be careful clicking links in shops or petpages...

Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:09 am

Thanks for the warning... I rarely click links that I don't recognize (such as all the popular fan sites) but I'll be extra careful for now. As an extra precaution, everyone should also hover links on forums and IM etc before they click in case it's directed to somewhere else than it says. For example, http://www.neopets.com :)

Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:51 am

for firefox users right click the link then hit properties and it will tell you where that link is going!

Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:40 am

for Opera users, turn on the "Status bar" (View->Toolbars->Status bar) and hover on the link . The actual link will be shown on the status bar.

Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:50 am

Blue wrote:for Opera users, turn on the "Status bar" (View->Toolbars->Status bar) and hover on the link . The actual link will be shown on the status bar.

That's the case in firefox and IE too. If you hover your mouse over the link the address it really links to will be shown on the status bar at the bottom of your window.

Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:14 pm

The links on the boards are pretty obvious in the way that they aren't disguised in any way. They just post the link to the page hoping someone will accidentally click on it. Don't click links unless you know where they are going!

Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:13 pm

Also, it's happening on userlookups, and they're not clickable, just plain text links.
Also, trolls.

Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:09 pm

A few "well-known" people were just CGed and frozen. Sometimes, an account that has been CGed will have the intruder send out Neomails with the links to try to scam the person's NFs. Don't click any suspicious links, even if they are from your friends! TNT is freezing accounts they suspect have been CGed :) Good job, TNT.

Again:
LOOK BEFORE YOU CLICK ANY LINKS!!

Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:12 am

I personally have the status bar on firefox turned off (same as i would on IE i find it annoying) that's why i posted how else to check :)

Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:09 am

I suggest using Fire Fox and the no script ad on. Both are totally free. Fire Fox should block those kind of exploits anyway unless there's a new one about but no script should make sure since it blocks all scripts unless you tell it otherwise. Once all your favourite sites are unblocked you don't need to worry about the rest. Unblock as you see fit.

Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:31 am

I stupidly made the mistake of clicking one of those links on the boards and got frozen. Fortunately, I got an email this morning from an admin named Emily T who explained what was going on and I think I should have my account back now.

Boy, those were some rough images.

Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:47 pm

I hate to bump my old board, but there are reports of CGs on userlookups and shops.

Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:05 pm

Thanks for the notice Siouxper! I'll add it to our current announcement!
Topic locked