Pink Poogle Toy Forum

The official community of Pink Poogle Toy
Main Site
NeoDex
It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2024 8:36 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Neopets = Hypocritical?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 4:55 am 
PPT God
PPT God

Well, Nabile married Jazan to break the curse held over Jazan's people. It's a lovely ending and all, and has been done before through many other stories. There's just one problem: marriage or any other type of intimacy within Neopets is against the rules. Any user that was caught doing anything along those lines were frozen.

Also, to give someone neopets through an offline trade (giving someone $5 for an item or bag of neopoints) was also a freezable offense, yet Neopets has come out with Neopets Premium, which gives users more neopoints for under $10 a month.

Isn't NEopets being a little Hypocritical with it's actions? :(

======================================

:P Help support the NeoDex!!! :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:01 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Do as we say, not as we do.

Newsflash. Everybody is hypocritical. They have rules to prevent people from getting ripped off or out of hand for a children's site.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:05 am 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

Sigh. We've had this discussion on the boards before.

I'll restate what I said then: there is a BIG difference between two anthro characters getting married in a plot, and some neoboarder trying to get their pet to "mate" with some other pet. There is also a BIG difference between two characters having a romantic relationship in a plot, and two neoboarders having a "relationship" on the site. I'm sure you can see how one results in no problems at all, and the other can resort in things like lawsuits and irate parents and pedophile stalkers taking advantage of young players.

Also, members who pay for premium get perks, but they don't just get a ton of free NP. They still have to work for or luck into it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:06 am 
PPT Toddler
PPT Toddler

Of course they are :) Check out their first rule in the new Terms & Conditions:

1. Neopets Is A Game, Not A Way To Make Money. :roflol:

Seriously though, they are against violence as well, but guns and pointy objects are a big part of the Battledome. As it is their universe, they make the rules :) And if they wanted every plot to end with a cliched and rushed "bad guy falls in love with long lost princess" ending, then I guess it is their right :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:15 am 
PPT God
PPT God

Quote:
I'll restate what I said then: there is a BIG difference between two anthro characters getting married in a plot, and some neoboarder trying to get their pet to "mate" with some other pet. There is also a BIG difference between two characters having a romantic relationship in a plot, and two neoboarders having a "relationship" on the site. I'm sure you can see how one results in no problems at all, and the other can resort in things like lawsuits and irate parents and pedophile stalkers taking advantage of young players.

Would agree that doing what you said would take things a step further than just marriage. Even so, I think this marriage in the LDP will spark a few uneducated users to have a few marriages of there own. The outcome? 100's of crying users wondering why their account was frozen. :evil:

Quote:
Also, members who pay for premium get perks, but they don't just get a ton of free NP. They still have to work for or luck into it.

It's still neopoints being given through real life money, even if it is given by chance. :(

Quote:
Seriously though, they are against violence as well, but guns and pointy objects are a big part of the Battledome. As it is their universe, they make the rules And if they wanted every plot to end with a cliched and rushed "bad guy falls in love with long lost princess" ending, then I guess it is their right

I have been thinking that for years. good to hear someone else is freaked out that people DIE in Neoquest. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:16 am 
PPT Student
PPT Student

Scream wrote:
1. Neopets Is A Game, Not A Way To Make Money. :roflol:

Okay. It seems like everyone thinks that the "Neopes Is A Game, Not A Way To Make Money" rule means that Neopets is being hypocritical because of all the ads they put on it, meaning they make money. If anyone bothered to read the rest of it, it says that players aren't supposed to sell their items/accounts/pets for money...not that Neopets isn't allowed to make some profit off the site they created.

"As a guest you do not own the accounts, activities, items, Neopoints..."

As an owner of Neopets you do. So what's wrong with this rule? Why do people laugh at it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:19 am 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

Ahem. "He who makes the game makes the rules."

Image Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:23 am 
PPT God
PPT God

Also, don't know if it applies or not, but some criticisms already documented...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neopets#User_criticisms

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:26 am 
PPT Toddler
PPT Toddler

Quote:
Okay. It seems like everyone thinks that the "Neopes Is A Game, Not A Way To Make Money" rule means that Neopets is being hypocritical because of all the ads they put on it, meaning they make money. If anyone bothered to read the rest of it, it says that players aren't supposed to sell their items/accounts/pets for money...not that Neopets isn't allowed to make some profit off the site they created.

o_O Umm, no anchororange, it was a joke. hence the :roflol:
The way they worded it is funny to anyone who first glances at it. I KNOW what it means.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:36 am 
PPT God
PPT God

As has already been mentioned, TNT disallows romantic connections between pets to keep people from cybering with the little kiddies. I don't see this as hypocritical myself, because it's a precaution in place to protect children. As for whether or not Jazan and Nabile's marriage will inspire people to marry their pets off, all I can say is the rule against it is pretty clear. If people can't obey the rules, that's their problem.

As for the np-for-money issue, TNT can award Premium users with neopoints because they own the site. They don't let us do it because we DON'T own the site. To sell intellectual property you don't own violates all sorts of copyright laws, I'm sure. It's not hypocritical. And if we're getting technical, Premium users pay for webmail and the portal, not neopoints. The np is a gift.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:52 am 
PPT God
PPT God

stampsyne wrote:
Ahem. "He who makes the game makes the rules."

Exactly what I was thinking.

Awesome Set by Neko

Post subject: ...
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:35 am 
PPT Toddler
PPT Toddler

What I find the most disturbing about the lastest plot is that a Kyrii tries to marry an Aisha and ends up with an Ixi. Why can't these pets stay within their own darned species? I had enough trouble grasping the fact that Jeran (Lupe) and Lisha (Aisha) were siblings.

Lupe + Lupe = Lupe Good. Logical.

Lupe + Koi = Usul what the heck? (I am aware that these species have never married in a Neopets plot, but it seems to be the kind of random thing they'd do.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:58 am 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

I can't undestand all the hype around a "marriage" in a comic.

TNT also doesn't allow religious discussions, but does anyone complain when they get free items at Christmas, Easter, Halloween?

If TNT had written a script that depicted a mating ritual, then we would have something to worry about.

It is the motive behind the action that is the worry.

We know why TNT had a marriage in the comic ( as part of the plot), but can you be sure of anyone else's motives if "free speech" was allowed on Neopets?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:20 am 
PPT Trainee
PPT Trainee

Daze wrote:
I can't undestand all the hype around a "marriage" in a comic.

I agree... Disney has heaps of storylines involving marriage which are seen as perfectly acceptable for children to watch - so I don't have a problem with storyline itself, at least.

I don't think it's hypocritical of them either, though. Relationships and topics such as religion are (or, can be) important parts of a good story, but they just don't want to let people have free reign to talk about it on the boards because it could quickly become controversial or offensive.

I mean, we have a hard enough time regulating it here, where people are ... considerably more civil ;) And PPT mods have a larger presence, too *points to large people*

Nyum nyum nyum...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:34 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

About the marriage thing. My views have pretty much been stated. They want to keep kids from doing explicit things that could get them in a lot of trouble with parents. Plus as they've stated neopets are still young kids and not adults. They age I assume as we age, so the oldest I do believe a Neopet could be would be 7, and I don't think many parents would want their seven year old canoodleing with another kid that age or younger.

And as for the money thing.
Neopets is a business. Of course they want to make money off it. But thats just it. It's their money to make. They own it. People who play often play for free (unless you're premium, but then you pay for perks), and those who sell accounts or pets or whatever are not benefiting neopets as a company. They benefit themselves. Paid or not paid, you sign an agreement when you join Neopets to follow their rules. And one of their rules is you can't profit monetarily from their existance.

mazil wrote:
I mean, we have a hard enough time regulating it here, where people are ... considerably more civil And PPT mods have a larger presence, too *points to large people*

Did you just call me fat?

Evisceration is a sign of respect.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next